Fordmods Logo

au vct into el 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: au vct into el
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 96 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

Hi all, 4.0 AU VCT engine.. its the exact same as AU HP engine yes? Only difference is the vct and the rocker cover?

If I do all other work required to put a AU HP into a el body (done it before), on the VCT engine, and Use my EL engine/trans loom and EL ecu, all will be good? i can use my EL t5 and Flywheel etc on the VCT?.

So with the VCT, ive read of people getting some sort of rpm switch to turn it on at 3000rpm, does the ecu not control any part of the VCT, Is it simply "on, off"? I wouldve thought otherwise..

but to save dramas, I wanted to know, can I leave it disconnected? and not worry about it, would it make much difference?

Basically.. I just wanted the pretty rocker cover :( haha

Thanks everyone for your time :D

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Post subject: Re: au vct into el
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

The engine will run the same as a normal conversion but if you want vct you can run it off an rpm switch. It is as simple as on/ off as far as im aware.gearbox will fit with flywheel but the bottom 2 bolts on the bellhousing dont fit. No biggy

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Its a little more complicated than that - the AU Engine also has different timing and fuel when VCT kicks in. You could do this using an AU ECU and a J3 chip, or a J3 chip on your EL ECU with different fueling and using the BBM Solenoid control to control the VCT (use a relay if it needs inverting)

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NA / NL fairlane, 08 honda civic

QLD, Australia

i also am considering doing this given the issues i am having with my cars engine. from what i have read it can be controled by a solinoid wire near the washer bottle and that it cuts in at 3800rpm and the VCT should be 3000rpm but apparently there is a way of tuning that for the vct.

I am looking at putting the AU Tickford Engine in my NL.

Question.
What is the meaning of life?
Answer.
The condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

The solenoid wire near the bottle is the BBM Solenoid.

Something to think about though - Do you really need VCT? - if your going down that path, you may actually want to go with a BA Engine instead as a lot of the work is the same.

You can run the AU HP Engine with no other modifications, and good headwork/cam will get you at the same power level

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 96 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

Id rather not worrie about the vct and leave it disconnected if its possible.. it will just run like a normal hp engine? I couldve swore I read something a while ago about someone leaving it disconnected.. but fcked if I can find it again haha, id be making it all look like its connected.. but wont be..

not interested in DOHC yet. I prefer my SOHC's,

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]