Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Mondeo XR5T

Power: 173 rwkw

NSW, Australia

jonbays wrote:
Don't panic for a VCT XR6 this sound like a normal stock exhasut system to me.

Yes they do look odd but it shouldn't look dodgy just overly complex for no obvious reason.

Seems to be an accurate summary.

Thanks

Shugg

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

So what is the purpose of the second blocked off pipe then?

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

twr7cx wrote:

it's a resonator. works the same way as the ones you see on the intakes of the V8 falcons

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

it's a resonator. works the same way as the ones you see on the intakes of the V8 falcons

So it helps to quiten the exhaust down? How would the resinator in the V8 air intake quiten the exhaust down?

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

I thought and have been told that the "resonator on the intake of the v8's is actually a backfire tube for in the event of it backfiring that tube will blowoff/crack/explode or what ever it does intead of the airbox doing the same thing!
Ive removed mine and have noticed a sharper throttle, altho didnt notice much difference in note.
However i have just had a weld on my exhaust re-welded and it made a big difference to the note, louder now.. lol! :? :o

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

twr7cx wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

So it helps to quiten the exhaust down? How would the resinator in the V8 air intake quiten the exhaust down?

well a resonator in the intake would help to quieten down the intake noise :roll: :roll: :roll: duh

all i was saying is that they work the same, there is no direct flow throught either of them they are just resonence chambers.

Post subject: Re: AU XR6 exhaust setups, advice needed
Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:22 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: AU1 XR6 VCT

VIC, Australia

Shugg wrote:
Hi guys,

Has anyone got pictures or links to AU XR6 exhaust setups. I have searched the net and cannot find.

The reason I ask is that my car was in a rear end smash a few years ago and allot of underbody work was done. I had my car up on the jacks the other day thought the set up of the exhaust looked dodgy.

I will try and explain the best I can:

From the extractors and cat, the setup separates into two pipes, joining two mufflers side by side. From the two mufflers back, the pipes come together with a H bracket weld. One pipe continues out to the tip and the other pipe curves around under rear bar and is blocked!

Is this normal? Seems funny to me to have the second pipe curve around and be blocked. This may be normal, and I am not an expert on exhaust systems, but can someone verify the norm for me.

Shugg

That is the exact layout for the AU XR6 VCT exhaust system from factory. Its not dodgy at all. Thats how they came, H pipe and all.

AU XR6 VCT 14.57 @ 92.92mph.
Auto - NA - Unopened
Proudly tuned and prepared by G&D Performance Tuning - Get the Edge!

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
well a resonator in the intake would help to quieten down the intake noise :roll: :roll: :roll: duh

all i was saying is that they work the same, there is no direct flow throught either of them they are just resonence chambers.

But how does a bloked off pipe manage to quieten down the exhaust? I mean once the first bit of exhaust gas/fumes has flown into that blocked pipe, the rest are just going to go down the other one arn't they? meaning that it'd be the same as if that blocked pipe wasn't there? Or how does it work? How does the air intake one work aswell?

By the way Daniel, at Symons the other day I noticed that the Ford Brute Utes still had those pipes on there air intakes...

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

twr7cx wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

But how does a bloked off pipe manage to quieten down the exhaust? I mean once the first bit of exhaust gas/fumes has flown into that blocked pipe, the rest are just going to go down the other one arn't they? meaning that it'd be the same as if that blocked pipe wasn't there? Or how does it work? How does the air intake one work aswell?

By the way Daniel, at Symons the other day I noticed that the Ford Brute Utes still had those pipes on there air intakes...

it's all about the exhaust gas pulses and sound waves travleing down the pipe.
the gas doesn't flow through it but the sound waves do, they get to end of the pipe and are turn around when they come out of the pipe again they run into the other sound waves and can cancle out some of the noise. depending on the size, length and shap of the pipe. the engineers can 'tune' it to take an unwanted noise at a certain point in the revs at a certain engine load.

wich is exactly how intake resonators work.

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Mondeo XR5T

Power: 173 rwkw

NSW, Australia

This is all good guys, news to me. Its all making sence.

Cheers

Shugg

Post subject: Re: AU XR6 exhaust setups, advice needed
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford AU XR6 vct

NSW, Australia

Hi guys, seen your exhaust request and thought I might be able to clear a few thing up for you.
I have been able to get some pictures for the xr6 exhaust with a little bit of tech. info.

Attachments:
File comment: I know it is upside down , had a little clitch, but you can see its standed.This picture is from the FORD factory w/shop manual.(dont ask i cant tell)
Exhaust xr6 1.jpg
Exhaust xr6 1.jpg [ 153.39 KiB | Viewed 217 times ]
Exhaust xr6 2.jpg
Exhaust xr6 2.jpg [ 230.33 KiB | Viewed 210 times ]

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2