Fordmods Logo

AU2 6cyl Ghia VCT - how to replace fuel pump 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: AU2 6cyl Ghia VCT - how to replace fuel pump
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 75th AUII Ghia

NSW, Australia

Can someone point me to some steps on how to replace the fuel pump on the above car please

Post subject: Re: AU2 6cyl Ghia VCT - how to replace fuel pump
Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:06 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AU II XR6 UTE

Gotta keep this site alive guys!!!

-------------------------------------------------------
you need to remove that panel or drop the tank out..

just use a big screw driver or a small pinch bar to get under the edge of the cover plate and carefully lever it up, you will find that the cover might bend a little..
then its just like removing the pump from a e series..
when i last did one i actually got the cover from a e series and sikaflexed (urethane adhesive)it back on..
or you could drill the holes and screw the e series cover on,
yeah when i changed mine i had a major agro attack because the fuel line wouldnt unclip as it was chock full of dirt.....ended up destroying the clip and had to make a new one.....also then the pump wouldnt come out of the hole - i ended up throwing it as far as i could when it finally came out.....
they are a real prick. my advice is lift the tank out and then change it - also check the condition of the tank for rust.
i found when doing mine that we had to put 500kgs in the corner of the rear to squish the leaf spring so that I could get the fuel pump out (as the pump is attached to the fuel level sensor unit and all that).

also as said above, the fuel lines are a prick, you push the white plastic bits while trying to push the line up. they break easily.
they are not too hard to replace
remove the 6 screws from the cover plate on the boot floor (under carpet, lh side)
remove large hose clamp that holds the retaining ring on.
remove wiring plugs and fuel lines (push plastic ring towards pump and gently pull the hose out of the sender)
the retainer ring can sometimes be awkward, tight too.
i have removed the ring on a couple of cars using a large flathead screwdriver and hammer, just tap it around anticlockwise
there is a tool shown in the gregorys manuals etc that u can make and this makes it easier.
once retainer is removed carefully lift pump out of tank, watching not to bend the sender unit arm.
the pump has a tab and usually a zip tie holding it to the sender, bend the tab back slightly on the top end, theres a rubber coupling which can be pushed back and the pump should pivot out
if you pull the pump out you can check it on your battery just add a couple of wires to the two plugs then hold them onto the battery if its works its good if nothing its dead the clip that looks like a radiator clip on the big black thing that unsrews is a b**ch to get off i normally use a screw driver and force it off it it doesent remove easy then throw it away it doesent need it when put it all back together.. Also before connecting to your battery just make sure you dont have petrol dripping out of it.

I also once made a tool to remove the black cover but found it useless so just used a big set of multi grips to twist it off.

if you need another pump you can find them in the for sale section for around 10 - 15 dollars

2001 AU II XR6 HP LIQUID SILVER UTE

Post subject: Re: AU2 6cyl Ghia VCT - how to replace fuel pump
Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 75th AUII Ghia

NSW, Australia

thanks
done this last two weeks, mine was easier to come out although the hoses were hard to pull off the pump. only other thing that happened when I tried to replace the pump was accidentally cut through one of the wires that hook onto the pump (this connection is submerged in petrol with the pump). thinking this cant be reconnected inside (i was scared it might end up shorting inside which will be really bad - I had to go to the wrecker and get another one of these short wiring) so all worked out now. noisy it is from the back but I think it's because I haven't completely sealed up the top cover which I will this weekend. Car starts up at once and no lapse when I put my foot down. thanks for all your help

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]