Fordmods Logo

AU2 Ghia - VCT 6cyl car clicks but will not start 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: AU2 Ghia - VCT 6cyl car clicks but will not start
Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 75th AUII Ghia

NSW, Australia

Relay clicks and could hear the loud click from maybe the starter but will not start. This started happening one morning when I drove from home to petrol station. Going from there to work - didn't start, just clicks and didn't start. Opened/closed doors, lock/unlock and opened the bonnet looked at battery all tightened and all and came back to start and it started. Then about a week after in the morning again, stopped by the shops and same thing happened. I must have tried to start many more times it eventually ran down the battery. I then jumped it with the JEEP and this time it decided to start. However when the battery charge was low - even trying to start would turn off everything dead like someone just yanked the battery leads off. If I then slam the door close - the lights and mileage display come on again. Could it had been a loose terminal or smartshield ground or something. It is a brand new heavy duty battery and I have replaced the fuel pump, ignition coil. I then start to think maybe its the transmission switch so I put it in Neutral and tried to start - no go. I now start to think if its smartshield module which I don't know where it is. Or just a starter lead that needs to be cleaned up or tightened. Im also getting another key tomorrow and see it I can learn that in to see if it makes a difference in case it's related to the immobilizer chip in the key not having the correct resistance. Please help if you may have experience with above symptoms, 2000 AU2 75th Ghia, thnks

Post subject: Re: AU2 Ghia - VCT 6cyl car clicks but will not start
Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

Do the dash lights go out ? If all the Red lights go out it sounds like bad battery connection, it can be at any of the large leads such as the earth on the block. The culprit will get hot, so you can feel which is at fault. Another thing it could be a faulty starter. Worn brush's or dirty contacts on the solenoid. When the engine is cold put your hand on the starter and see if you can feel it " click " when someone tries to start it. There will be another small relay which will also click, but it you get a loud click from the starter that would be the place to start looking for the fault.

Regards 96ELGli

Post subject: Re: AU2 Ghia - VCT 6cyl car clicks but will not start
Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:33 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 75th AUII Ghia

NSW, Australia

New battery - and the contacts - I will replace them tomorrow - the ends at the battery. Loud click comes from the starter so maybe I'll replace the starter. I also ordered an aerial mast as that broke and some people say this may take in water which corrode contacts on the BEM or BCM but I have checked the BCM and all are bolted in firmly. As soon as I replaced the ignition coil last Saturday the clicks came back twice then it started. SInce then the clicks hadnt re-occurred however when I start it in the morning - it revs back down about to stall - twice and then it picks up back to normal idle. Im cleaning the ISV this weekend and swap O2 sensors to just get them done I think - will report back, thanks for the response

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]