Fordmods Logo

AUII Car Drama (semi fixed) 

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: AUII Car Drama (semi fixed)
Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

this has been an ongoing f**k drama for ages.

ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/au-xr6-is-hard-to-start-full-story-page-2-t72166.html

recently is was a battery alternator issues etc

ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/battery-woes-how-to-test-t74625.html

well that is sorted replaced alternator with a new aftermarket one)

So at the moment, the car has stuff all power roughly upto 3grand (my works little suzuki carry on ute thing seems quicker etc) but after 3grand it seems to have the proper omph etc but below s**t.

So back on topic what. after the car is driven for a long drive from for example my missus took my car for a drive to orange with my sister to go shopping etc and it ran fine to orange and back from orange later on in the day (i assume they drove around orange going to various shops etc stopping and starting) BUT exactly one block from our house the car "s**t" it self lost all power and revs dropped and the car stalled out. she waited 5 to 10 minutes and then drove around the corner to my house.

And then i drove it to the local liquarland and it s**t itself again revs dropped no power and stalled out, waited 3 or so minutes and started and parked (keep motor running seemed like a tiny tiny tiny miss) reversed out and the car stalled yet again so while i waited, started it up and gave it a bootful and took off, drove out to my fathers place about 30kms outta town, set the cruise control to 115km and left it, about 15kms later again car no power revs dropped and then finally stalled out. waited 15 minutes and took off again. around the corner of my fathers joint no power revs dropped and stalled out and it just would not start. for like 15minutes or so,

SO i explained all this s**t to myfather and he said the coil or coils are rooted getting hot then failing. could this be the culprit for all my f**k ing headaches? or do i have a dodgey injector, clogged fuel filter or is the anti boil motor safety feature f**k with me.

Cheers Geoff

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Last edited by Froudey on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: AUII Car Drama
Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

Easy way to check if you coils are having dramas is to remove the spark plug leads from the spark plugs and look for signs of black burnt powder on the ends of the spark plugs,this shows that the leads are breaking down and over time can burnout the coil.

If this is not the case i would test the resistence of the leads and if they are high i would replace them.

I would also check the connection ontop of the ECU make sure the plug is tight.

I'm thinking maybe you have a faulty crank angle sensor maybe???

When it looses all power is there any lights on the dash????

When it stalls again,take a bottle of water and when it stalls again poor it directly over where the crank angle sensor is near the harmonic balancer and try to start it.If it will start straight away without waiting i would think it has a fault,but it is strange not to leave a fault log in the ECU.

Also faulty wiring in the tank for the fuel pump could have loose or dirty connections or the fuel pump is faulty??

Maybe could be related to smart shield???(like i mentioned with the dash cluster and the key pigtale)

There some things to look at.

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

KRUPTD wrote:
Easy way to check if you coils are having dramas is to remove the spark plug leads from the spark plugs and look for signs of black burnt powder on the ends of the spark plugs,this shows that the leads are breaking down and over time can burnout the coil.

What end? sparkplug end or coil end?

Quote:
If this is not the case i would test the resistence of the leads and if they are high i would replace them.

how does one do this?

Quote:

will have a look shortly when it gets cooler f**k ing hot western nsw wheather s**t.

Quote:

no there are lights and alike, but previously in the first drama this did happen.

Quote:
When it stalls again,take a bottle of water and when it stalls again poor it directly over where the crank angle sensor is near the harmonic balancer and try to start it.If it will start straight away without waiting i would think it has a fault,but it is strange not to leave a fault log in the ECU.

yeah i will carry a bottle of water and do this next time it s**t itself. the fact it didn't leave no error codes gets me also, i am thinking that i may book it in for a proper dianostic from another mechanic firm.

Quote:
Also faulty wiring in the tank for the fuel pump could have loose or dirty connections or the fuel pump is faulty??

will have a look again when cooler,

Quote:
Maybe could be related to smart shield???(like i mentioned with the dash cluster and the key pigtale)

your a Plethora of knowledge there bryan, cheers geoff

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Froudey wrote:
KRUPTD wrote:

What end? sparkplug end or coil end?

Quote:

how does one do this?

Quote:

will have a look shortly when it gets cooler f**k ing hot western nsw wheather s**t.

Quote:

no there are lights and alike, but previously in the first drama this did happen.

Quote:

yeah i will carry a bottle of water and do this next time it s**t itself. the fact it didn't leave no error codes gets me also, i am thinking that i may book it in for a proper dianostic from another mechanic firm.

Quote:

will have a look again when cooler,

Quote:

your a Plethora of knowledge there bryan, cheers geoff

Fault finding is the key to any problem.As for the powder residue look inside the spark plug lead end where the spark plug plugs onto and also on the spark plug where the ignition lead plugs onto.

Also look on the outside of the leads for grey powder which is a sign of crossfiring.

Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I cleaned the throttle bodie and cleaned the isc and no change. will replace the ignition module tomorrow and see what happens.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

changed the ignition module (well i assume it was) changed it over, no change,

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

Have you replaced the fuel pump relay & ECU relay under the coolant reservoir????

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EL__Fairmont wrote:
Have you replaced the fuel pump relay & ECU relay under the coolant reservoir????

hmm okay i will replace them and see what happens in the next couple of days,

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Have you tested the fuel pump?

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

not yet it was f**k ing s**t ty awful wet and windy wheather i just changed the module when it was slightly sunny and left it at that, i hope to check the fuel pump this weekend cause apparently it will be sunny and cool.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yesss,good weather.lol

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Checked all fuses and relay's nothing broken, i had a look at removing the fuel pump to clean the "sock" and just inspect it etc, i gave up bloody sikiflexed on fuel pump cover.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

Froudey wrote:
Checked all fuses and relay's nothing broken, i had a look at removing the fuel pump to clean the "sock" and just inspect it etc, i gave up bloody sikiflexed on fuel pump cover.

The fuel pump cover should just have 6 screws that need to removed then you gain access to the pump.. If it has been stuck down then someone has done work on the fuel pump before etc, and f&cked it good and proper. I would be looking at the fuel pump as the cause of all your problems......

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EL__Fairmont wrote:
Froudey wrote:

The fuel pump cover should just have 6 screws that need to removed then you gain access to the pump.. If it has been stuck down then someone has done work on the fuel pump before etc, and f&cked it good and proper. I would be looking at the fuel pump as the cause of all your problems......

Yes and No. EA to EL have the screws AU on is sikiflexed on for some retarded reason.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

Just replace the fuel pump and see what happens.

EDIT: and while your at it, it would be a good idea to replace the fuel filter, as that could be all clogged up and causeing all your problems, and maybe not the Fuel Pump at all!

That reminds me, I should be replacing my Fuel filter too XD

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next