Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:58 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

WA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
dddp! wrote:
tickford specs from the supplementary factory dual fuel set up

"motorcraft AGS42CC for running in purposes then fit motorcraft AGS23CC, Gap 0.9mm

vehicles operating continously on LPG require a colder range spark plug than vehicles running on petrol"

replace spark plugs every 30,000km"

... mine have been in for over 60,000km now :shock:

It only says in there about differentgap and different heat range, no mention of plugs that are physically longer.

if you buy the ACS23CC's you'll see they're longer than the AGS42CC's, the 42s are petrol engine plugs, the standard plugs for the I6, it's all i can say mate, i've held the 2 together in my hand and i can tell you the gas plugs are longer, the spare parts bloke called them projected gap plugs

they made a huge difference to starting my car, the stock plugs were fitted when i 1st bought it, it was a real prick to start, it went back 4 times to try and fix this problem, they never really did fix it and i thought it must be just how duel fuel engines are ... when it came due for it's 1st service after the warranty expired, i bought the plugs listed in the tickford supplement, the 43's ... when i pulled the plugs out that were in the car i could see the new ones were longer, i double checked the part number, didn't want the tip of the plug hitting the top of the piston, yes it was the right plug in the tickford manual .... i stuck em in, crossed my fingers when i cranked it over, it fired up immediately, easiest it had ever started ... drove to the ford dealer and told the service manager what i'd found out (that they had fitted the wrong plugs) he wouldn't believe me, i told him, you go out and start it mate then come back and tell me i'm worng ... he wouldn't do it, just made excuses to not go out and see for himself

so, you see that's how i know i'm right, they are longer than the petrol plugs, take my word for it

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:16 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: AU1 XR6 VCT

VIC, Australia

Doesnt suprise me, the autolite 985's were noticibly longer than the plugs I pulled out (I assume they were from Ford as they were starting to look a bit old at the time)

AU XR6 VCT 14.57 @ 92.92mph.
Auto - NA - Unopened
Proudly tuned and prepared by G&D Performance Tuning - Get the Edge!

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:36 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: buick

VIC, Australia

Wouldn't the longer tipped plugs be hotter running. For the LPG you would have to go colder plugs.
The understanding is the hotter plug would burn the mixter better but the motor would run hotter on a long trip.

The old E49 Chryslers & XU1's ran a colder plug.

I've had the NGK iridum's in for over 50,000 K's no problems. Still like new as they can withstand higer combustion temps

ghiaman

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:09 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

ghiaman wrote:
Wouldn't the longer tipped plugs be hotter running. For the LPG you would have to go colder plugs.
The understanding is the hotter plug would burn the mixter better but the motor would run hotter on a long trip.

The old E49 Chryslers & XU1's ran a colder plug.

I've had the NGK iridum's in for over 50,000 K's no problems. Still like new as they can withstand higer combustion temps

ghiaman

stuff about heat ranges and projected gap spark plugs

"Projected-Nose Gap: Projected-nose spark plugs can be used in any overhead-valve engine provided there is physical clearance in the combustion chamber. The heat-range characteristics of this spark plug differ from other spark plugs in that the incoming air/fuel charge cools the insulator tip at high engine speeds, preventing fouling that can be caused by excessively rich mixtures."

and

"Heat Ranges: The thermal characteristics or "heat rating" of a given spark plug reflect the component's ability to transfer combustion-chamber heat from the firing end of the spark plug into the cylinder head. The range of temperatures from idle to maximum rpm determines the heat range of the spark plug. From a design and construction perspective, the length of the insulator nose determines the heat range of the spark plug."

and

Heat Ranges, More: Cold spark plugs normally have a short heat flow path, which results in a quick rate of heat transfer. Additionally, the short insulator nose found on cold spark plugs has a small surface area, which does not allow for a massive amount of heat absorption. On the other hand, hot spark plugs feature a longer insulator nose as well as a longer heat transfer path. This results in a much slower rate of heat transfer to the surrounding cylinder head (and, consequently, the water jacket)."

there ya go

http://corvettefever.com/techarticles/153_0503w_plug/

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:11 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Question: What is the difference between a hot spark plug and a cold spark plug?

Answer: A "hot" spark plug will have a longer ceramic insulator in the center of the plug than a "cold" one. On occasion, we have installed hotter spark plugs in an engine that uses oil. The hotter plug burns the oil off and keeps the plugs from fouling.

http://www.2carpros.com/topics/sparkpl.htm

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:12 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Casper wrote:
The JMM autolite plugs are 985.

would that be the same plug for a xr6 as well?

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

seems as id they supply the 985's to all cars but im tempted to try the AP63 see what jmm has to say about them

EF Futura 5-Speed 174rwks!!!

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

just bbought some ngk iridiums .im going to try them in the xr see how they go

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU Tickford Fairmont 5.0

NSW, Australia

finally found a dealership in sydney that had these Autolite things put them in gave to car a bootful yeah i could vouch for a couple of kw.

T402 ISX 500hp daily driver
98 AU Tickford Fairmont 5.0 175kw stocker....

"member of the wgaf club about 400m times"

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

where did you find them 99

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

opto wrote:
I got my autolites coming next week. also worth checking the lead resistances to see that they are low.

Bosch have got some new sports leads out, anyone used them ?

You're doing yourself a big dis service by going for "low resistance" leads. It's complete s**t.

Check out the magnacor website. They set the record straight.

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

I hear you but I have put High performance Bosch leads on which are way lower in resistance than the ford originals, Oh, btw I am an Electrician so I know what you mean.

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3