Fordmods Logo

BA Falcon Ute Manifold gasket TPS & MAP sensor plug question 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: BA Falcon Ute Manifold gasket TPS & MAP sensor plug question
Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA MKII Ute

NSW, Australia

Long story short, did the intake manifold gasket(s) and reconnected everything back up

I did remove the injectors to remove the manifold to clean some of the accumulated gunk from the PCV oil mist.

Going from the firewall:
The plug taped to the injector wire 2nd from the firewall [cylinder 5] - I connected to the TPS
The plug tied (exiting the loom) next to injector for cylinder 4 - I plugged into the MAP sensor

Car would start VROOM for maybe 1/2 second and then go into sounding like it was running on 2 cylinders, rough doesn't describe it, wouldn't idle properly, wouldn't rev., it would continue to run though

Check engine light stayed on - I haven't hooked it up for the codes yet

So I found this page, which says that the TPS and MAP sensor plugs may have been mixed up, fair enough, despite one being closer to each respective socket - first coming from the loom -> TPS, second coming from the loom -> MAP sensor I thought that I may have mixed them up

http://afiaustralia.com.au/resources/te ... old-gasket

A bit (read that as a lot of fiddling and cursing) I switched them

Now it won't idle, just dies, subsequent attempts to start it nothing, disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, pops the first time, then just won't start again.

I put a teaspoon of fuel in the throttle body - VROOM - she's not getting fuel!

So with that out of the way, can anyone tell me if I had the TPS and MAP sensors connected correctly the first time?

Not discounting that there may have been a problem lurking that's just happened, but I'm not keep to switch the plugs back if I have it correct now and need to.

Post subject: Re: BA Falcon Ute Manifold gasket TPS & MAP sensor plug question
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

OK, so I did some more research - managed to find the wire colours for the TPS and IAT/MAP connectors

I've attached the images in case it helps anyone else

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 1.27.56 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 1.27.56 pm.png [ 119.85 KiB | Viewed 208 times ]

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 1.26.57 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 1.26.57 pm.png [ 292.4 KiB | Viewed 191 times ]

So I had it wired correct the first time out, correction made.

Car starts, goes VROOM for 1/2 a second, then goes into a mode where it's running on 3 cylinders at most, lumpy doesn't adequately describe it.
The CEL is lit, but the Torque Lite app doesn't show any codes, so that's useless.

Can anyone make a recommendation as to a worthwhile App for at least reading the codes?

One thing which is interesting is that it's running 1.5 - 2 degrees advance and attempting to idle at ~1000 RPM.

It does not respond to the accelerator peddle, so I am [perhaps mistakenly] assuming that it's in some sort of limp mode.

It's down to checking the connections on the various sensors that I disconnected as part of the loom

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

OK - answering my own post

The shift switch I already knew about, need to check the plug(s) from when I had the interior out for cleaning

The idle was lumpy also, and the slight popping could be heard from the exhaust which was why I decided to tackle the leaking intake manifold gasket in the first instance to get that sorted.
Cylinder 1 was leaking and the gasket crumbled on removal.

Looks pretty much like the TPS has given up the ghost - it had on occasion dropped to a very rough idle and then stalled.

Car Scanner ELM OBD2
DTC report
Selected brand: Ford

============1==============
P0122
Raw code: 0122
ECU: Engine control unit
Status: Pending fault present, Pending fault present during this driving cycle, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request
OBDII: Throttle position (TP) switch A/accelerator pedal position (APP) switch A - low input
Ford: TP Sensor A Circuit Low Input

============2==============
P0124
Raw code: 0124
Status: Pending fault present, Pending fault present during this driving cycle, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request
OBDII: Throttle position (TP) switch A/accelerator pedal position (APP) switch A - circuit intermittent
Ford: TP Sensor A Circuit Intermittent

============3==============
P0222
Raw code: 0222
OBDII: Throttle position (TP) sensor B/accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor B - low input
Ford: Throttle Position Sensor B Circuit Low Input Edge Products 1080 S. Depot Dr. Ogden, UT 84404 888-360-3343 www.edgeproducts.com Ford DTC Codes 4

============4==============
P0224
Raw code: 0224
OBDII: Throttle position (TP) sensor B/accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor B - circuit intermittent
Ford: Throttle Position Sensor B Intermittent

============5==============
P0826
Raw code: 0826
OBDII: Transmission gear selection switch, upshift/downshift - circuit malfunction

============6==============
P0828
Raw code: 0828
OBDII: Transmission gear selection switch, upshift/downshift - circuit high

============7==============
P1270
Raw code: 1270
OBDII: Engine RPM Or Speed Limiter Reached
Ford: Engine RPM Or Speed Limiter Reached

============8==============
P2110
Raw code: 2110
OBDII: Throttle actuator control (TAC) system - forced limited rpm mode

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

For if this assists anyone else with the troubleshooting

Installed a new TPS module - she now purrs

Bugger of a coincidence to have the TPS fail when I changed the manifold gasket leading me think it was something I'd misconnnected

hope this helps

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:03 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

ruckusman wrote:
For if this assists anyone else with the troubleshooting

Installed a new TPS module - she now purrs

Bugger of a coincidence to have the TPS fail when I changed the manifold gasket leading me think it was something I'd misconnnected

hope this helps

No it does help.

Thanks

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]