Fordmods Logo

BA I6 Performance Questions 

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: BA I6 Performance Questions
Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR8 Sedan or a potato gun

QLD, Australia

Wondering if anyone could shed some light on this...
I currently have a 2003 BA XT I6.
Looking towards my next mod, to date I have pacemaker headers, high flow cat, 2.5" exhaust system, no muffler (really loud), Typhoon CAI and thats about it, oh and a quick shifter kit... Stocko diff (3.23-1) but looking at getting the 3.73-1 in LSD...
I was thinking about getting a crow cam put in, but have no idea on pricing, performance gains etc etc.
I looke at the sticky but didn't say too much and found some other info that said gains could be anywhere between 5-30rwkw...
The other option is a flash tuner with a custom tune and get the girl dyno'd, but want some opinions of what to do first and pricing, as I'm imagining I'll need to be saving in the vecinity of 2 to 3 gorillas for either of those...

Sadly "X-RATED" has been sold to my brother - no longer do I own my XT - but its a brief sadness!! I now have an XR8 and permanent boner - SCHWING!!

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Well Smiley has a similar setup to you with 170ish RWKW, Flash tuning wont get you much more unless you change the cams and the tune it for those cams, that said fnp got close on 200 rwkw and mid or low 14 sec quaters out of his BA XT with standard cams

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Post subject: Re: BA I6 Performance Questions
Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

davro_xr6 wrote:
Wondering if anyone could shed some light on this...
I currently have a 2003 BA XT I6.
Looking towards my next mod, to date I have pacemaker headers, high flow cat, 2.5" exhaust system, no muffler (really loud), Typhoon CAI and thats about it, oh and a quick shifter kit... Stocko diff (3.23-1) but looking at getting the 3.73-1 in LSD...
I was thinking about getting a crow cam put in, but have no idea on pricing, performance gains etc etc.
I looke at the sticky but didn't say too much and found some other info that said gains could be anywhere between 5-30rwkw...
The other option is a flash tuner with a custom tune and get the girl dyno'd, but want some opinions of what to do first and pricing, as I'm imagining I'll need to be saving in the vecinity of 2 to 3 gorillas for either of those...

hey mate, go for the 4.11 LSD gears like I will be when I got the gorillas. Wihtout a better dif, your quarter mile times will suffer. Also, if your getting a flash, your peak power might not increase that much however your average power and low down torque will increase alot giving you a great advantage. I'm getting the dif before getting the flash, as when it is tuned, they will fix up the top speed shift points caused by a new ratio. Also, whilst getting it tuned, you can change the shift speed of your gears so no need to buy a seperate shift kit.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

you'll need special cams seeings its got the VCT in there. quite expensive and only one company makes them. there was another thread on it somewhere.

if done right, wouldn't be unusual to get 180rwkw. plugs, leads, good fuel, best stractors n zorst. etc.

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Post subject: Another Cams question...
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:32 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Just cjecked out the pricing on the crow cams for my 2003 BA I6 - $391 / cam (I'm assuming thats good)... A local mechanic here in rocky who is supposed to be pretty reputable told me that I will also need to change the valve springs and the computer aswell...

Is this correct?? I mean I understand the changing of the valve springs - but the computer?? I was under the assumption that it would only need to be re-tuned to accomodate the new cams??

Leading on from this, how much would it cost for someone to fit the cams and re-tune??

Sadly "X-RATED" has been sold to my brother - no longer do I own my XT - but its a brief sadness!! I now have an XR8 and permanent boner - SCHWING!!

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

cams will be expensive to install unless your doing it yourself and then comes the cost of retuning the ECU (shouldn't need a new ECU). VCT does a pretty good job with the standard cams, unlike e-series car, cams for a BA might be something you would look at as a last resort. If your gonna be changing valve springs, and have the head off, then you would may as well change the pistons and rods and turbo the sucker.

Until then, i'd advise doing all of the above mentioned before looking at cams.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Thanks for that - I'm just looking at options on my next performance mod... I'd prefer to keep her N/A though otherwise I have the option of selling her and buying an XR6T - which down the track would love to do but have my heart on this at the moment... She's running quick at the moment and I heard from someone that the next best step would be to upgrade the cams - my preference would be the diff to get her quicker off the mark though, but all advice given is great so far!!

My original plan was this:
3.73-1 LSD
Flash & Custom Tune
Dyno
And that would have sufficed for a while as I could probably source a decent 2nd hand diff for the $600 mark and then with the tuning added keep it around about the 2-3 gorillas mark... Opinions??

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

600 is pretty cheap but possible proveided your confident you can do it yourself. If you wan't it done properly, give chris a call at bluepower. He has all the time in the world to help explain everything you need to know about the dif. Its about 2000 gorillas for gears/LSD installed and he also checks a suspension bush that ford made really crappily that goes into the back of the dif. Also, instead of forking out 1500 for a flash and tune with capa, give dynomotive a call, they're doing flash and tunes with their own software which is supposedly better for 1100 gorillas all up.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Yeah $600 was just the diff - not fitment... Prolly add anothger $600 to get it done... $1100 for a flash and tune!!?? Thats damn good actually - only problem being is I'm in Central QLD (Rockhampton) - and I'm assuming those guys are down in Vic... My best option is probably head down to Brisvegas and see someone down there on that tune side.... I wouldn't mind visiting Bob Romano while down there either and getting him to dyno my girl...

So final advice would be, ditch the cams idea and go the diff and tune??

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah, that would be the best order to do things in. You have to realise how much of a hindrance the stock dif is.

dynomotive is in melbourne. If your getting a capa flash and tune (they are everywhere) cost you all up 1500 usually.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Yeah I've noticed all along she's been sluggish from take-off and then around about the 2800-3000rpm mark she takes off and races up to 6000rpm (rev limit) :shock: - a good change (without shift kit on) is at about 5300rpm... But 0-100 is roughly about the 6-7 second mark - wouldn't mind quickening that, and I basically figured that the diff change would launch her quicker and cut the 0-100 time down substantially...

As far as the tune is concerened may have to bite the bullet and spend the extra $400... Not to worry... :roll:

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

sweet, like I said, 4.11 gears would really give you a nice boost and may actually prove better for fuel economy unless your constantly highway driving

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:07 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: F350, EF2 Ghia, XC & Corty

Power: 218 rwkw

VIC, Australia

What stall speed is the STD converter rated at?
A higher stall converter would help get you off the line quicker, if you the traction to match...

13.28@103.73mph

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I'm not sure, I can usually stall it to about 2,400 if I really try and then the electronic throttle won't let it go any further to smoke the tyres.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:08 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Shockwave BA XR6

Power: 152 rwkw

VIC, Australia

or you could just buy a xr6 and have less mods than smiley
and less kilowatts and still wipe the floor with him on the drag strip

sorry cam couldnt resist a shot at you

Sort by