Fordmods Logo

BA Mk 2 RTV ute 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: BA Mk 2 RTV ute
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:52 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hi guys
Bought my RTV Ute yesterday with great extra tall canopy and vehicle will be used for camping as well as general personal use but not heavy lugging or commercial use. It has 343k on the clock has 4 speed auto and is on petrol/ gas and an ex RTA ehicle with service records to mid 200k.
There is a noise when on the move not sure if it’s the diff or gearbox. It’s not too bad but I am so happy with the vehicle as the body is excellent and I am willing to spend some money on it.

Wanting to know
1. if a 6 speed auto gearbox from BF Falcon (XR6?)is a better option for Ute if the Auto is the problem. It changes gears smoothly but the dull noise (not loud) has me concerned. I will be getting the oil changed and filter renewed in trans first before considering a more expensive fix.

2. Read some stuff on this and Whirlpool forum re diff on BA’s. Not very flattering.
(I think they’re all Ford haters anyway on that forum. Strewth!
However if I need to change diff is the BF diff a better uption as it is the 4 pivot.
I take it that the RTV does not have a LSD but standard diff.
Are XR6 diffs always LSD?

Want the Ute to be economical on freeway as I hope to drive to WA sometime.

Thanks in advance for responses. Really want to make the Ute as reliable as possible.
Lindon

Post subject: Re: BA Mk 2 RTV ute
Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford Territory and Falcon RTV

NSW, Australia

Hi Lindon

The RTV is a great ute :D

The 6 - speed box has its advantages but also has its weaknesses. To retrofit into a car with a 4 speeder will require different wiring harnesses/computers, recoding etc as well as the hardware (box, tail shaft, mounts etc.). I couldn't justify the trouble and expense.

Also the 4-Spd will be much cheaper to rebuild/replace should that ever be required.

The diff in the RTV should be the stronger M86 (same as fitted to the turbo six and V8 models). Lesser Falcons have the smaller M78 diff. The RTV M86 should have a locking function ( not LSD ) that is activated by a button on the dash.

BA/BF are the same, what matters is M86 vs. M78.

I have a RTV build thread on FordForums, where there is also a dedicated section for RTV Utes.

Cheers, Raptor

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]