Fordmods Logo

BA motor into a AU 

Page 3 of 6 [ 82 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
For someone like me it would :roll: ...I have never pulled an engine out of an engine bay and so forth...I always thought cutting anything would be illegal so getting it engineered would cost me :S...if its easy as modifying (legally) then it would be relatively easy.

If you didn't make a big song and dance about it with personalised plates, 19s, a custom paint job, a massive hole in your bonnet, a force fed engine, several magazine appearances etc you'd be fine.
You have to get pulled over in the first place to get done, on top of that, you need to get pulled over by the TMU, and you would have to piss off that TMU cop, and he'd have to know that that engine isn't suited to the car.
Given I've had falcons for like 2 years of having my licence and never being pulled over I would suggest doing what you can to get it to fit and run, and worry about engineering if you get a major defect, the chances are fairly minute, just don't be a showoff.

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII Fairmont

WA, Australia

That is some shocking advice

Engineers certificate is there for a reason, if you don't have it you're
a) driving an unroadworthy car which has insurance liabilities
b) driving an unsafe car that some moron with a welder and no clue has had a field day on (potentially)

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

xpression wrote:
im not argueing that it cant be done, im asking why would u bother? the costs involved would far far far outweigh the benifits...
The price for the parts will drop quick as they get older, there not gonna stay expensive forever :roll:

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Am hereby expressing interest in a legal K frame. I want one of these in my EB XR6 5 speed. Does the 5 speed from the EB Bolt up, if not then i will have a 5 speed conversion for sale soon.
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL XR6 Hybrid

ACT, Australia

Woot, bring on the E-series conversion!

Manual EL XR6, 2.5" Lukey Exhaust System, Pacemaker 4499 extractors, K-mack Adjustable camber kit, Pedders adjustable coilovers, K&N intake, 18" BSA291's, Full Alpine Tyre R entertainment system.
Formerly known as Liam~EF 95

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

EA bellhousing bolts up minus 2 lower bolts so I imagine EB is the same.

I wouldnt mind an engineered K frame either if they were made but there isnt much point until someone figures out a way to run the BA motor in an earlier car with the BA ECU to an extent where an engineer would be happy.

The K frame is the easy part, well at least in an EA-ED.

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

TwistedEL wrote:
That is some shocking advice

Engineers certificate is there for a reason, if you don't have it you're
a) driving an unroadworthy car which has insurance liabilities
b) driving an unsafe car that some moron with a welder and no clue has had a field day on (potentially)

lol, if you're insured with justcar and you plead ignorance you'll be fine. The amount of ridiculously unengineerable cars I've seen get paid out by them is hilarious.

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:00 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Darren I do have an interest in the K-Frame for E-series...it just depends when its going to be ready...and also how I am going to get the engine running...price is a bit of an issue at the moment cause other problems arose :(. Hopefully i can muster some money together.

Out of curiosity...how much does it usually cost to get a K-Frame...or anything engineered and get a certificate?

cheers

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Was there any cutting involve with the AU at all? eg: K-frame, or was it just the bonnet support rips?

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Slick wrote:
Was there any cutting involve with the AU at all? eg: K-frame, or was it just the bonnet support rips?

They are a straight bolt in except the ribs in the bonnet.

will be interesting to see if the sump can be modified enough to clear the ef x member

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Thanks for that mate.

How much for the conversion at the stage you are now?.
15 years ago I completed a 2 year TE corty V8 project. back then the law is not as tough as it is now, especially with emission laws & viability of modification guide lines.
well, emission laws won't be a problem but modification issues will be. I assume a engineers report is required for road worthiness & insurance purposes as it is not a original equipment, BA to AU that is.

regards

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:

Last edited by Slick on Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

xr8 dismantler wrote:
Slick wrote:

They are a straight bolt in except the ribs in the bonnet.

will be interesting to see if the sump can be modified enough to clear the ef x member

yes, it will be interesting. Hopefully Eseries edit is somewhat capable of running one...otherwise, Dimasquirt

too many rabbits in china

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Just a thought, If we drop a BA engine into the AU and then use a CAPA flashtuner or something like that, will that allow us to control the VCT or will that need to be done exclusivly by a proper ECU ?

Also how bad is this thing running at lower revs ? I cant imagine it being much worse than my poor AU XR6 which is currently stalling when pushed above 3000 revs :P

I know the XR6 engine is all but dead so im seriously looking at this option as the XR6 is the project test car and the AU Futura is the car which all the mods will finally end up on when I have established that they work.

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

xpression wrote:
did u hear about jetXR, his was engineered as far as i understand and he still got a "forget about re-registering this car" defect...

plus, have u seen engineers bills lately? you could sell the E series, put the money the motor etc will cost u along with engineers bills and buy a BA, complete with extra safety gear and suspension etc...
or buy an AU and forget the engineering...

Modded K frames are legal. Provided that you can prove as clearly as possible that they are stronger then the stock unit. Both in tensile and torsional tests. Then you have to prove that your you beut K frame won't affect other parts of the car in a crash test. So to cut a long story short it can be done but its a b**ch. This is where JETXR probably came unstuck. Just visually inspecting a K fame is not enough these days (years ago it was more then enough) to certify it.

But having said that if modded K frames can be built by reputable companies like the Castlemane rod shop then they are much easier to be engineered because companies like these have a known rep of good quality and failsafe workmanship.

And yes engineers are starting to charge like lawyers these days. What was once a simple $300 dollar look over the car followed by a 2 or 3 page report has become a pay per visit or even consultation. And for some projects you must chat to them before you even begin. Then once they give you the all clear you have to get your car inspected after each stage of the build and then sit down and have some more consultation to discuss the next stage in detail.

It might be more expensive but I much prefer it that way as it keeps the dreamers and the cashet up kids with bent attitudes out of the way.

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

^^^ here, here....bravo

well said!

Pakrat wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 6  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next