Fordmods Logo

BA motor into a AU 

Page 5 of 6 [ 82 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
EA bellhousing bolts up minus 2 lower bolts so I imagine EB is the same.

I wouldnt mind an engineered K frame either if they were made but there isnt much point until someone figures out a way to run the BA motor in an earlier car with the BA ECU to an extent where an engineer would be happy.

The K frame is the easy part, well at least in an EA-ED.

if someone was to make a modified k frame it would have to be approved by the authorities before it could be sold,,so it would already be legal.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Having a pre engineered K frame doesnt automatically mean the engine conversion is legal. The entire car still needs to be signed off by an engineer.

The price is still restrictive (in Victoria anyway) unless someone figures out a solution to run the stock computer so the car doesn't have to go through an emission test before seeing an engineer.

When I was building my RB30 torana, the engineer I was working with requested that I use a castlemaine fitting kit and chassis kit to fit the engine and a hopper stoppers brake upgrade kit. This made the task of engineering the car easier but it did not automatically make the car legal.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Yep thats right. Even when fitting engineered parts you still need an engineer to sign off that it was installed correctly and suitable for the car it went into.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
I dont think the motec is cheaper than anything :(

Depends on how many sensors you want to run and sort sort of data logging you are after.

If you want the lot with the lot M800 or M880 then be prepared for around 8k. If you don't give a s**t about data logging and just want the car to run right then how much is an M800 worth? 3k tops?

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
Dansedgli wrote:
I dont think the motec is cheaper than anything :(

Depends on how many sensors you want to run and sort sort of data logging you are after.

If you want the lot with the lot M800 or M880 then be prepared for around 8k. If you don't give a s**t about data logging and just want the car to run right then how much is an M800 worth? 3k tops?

Nope, last time I check it was $3300 for an enabled M600 + $450 odd for the DVCT to be enabled. Then you pay extra for a loom, sensors etc. A local mob quoted me $6K to have it fitted and tuned.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

f**k is that how much retail is? I overheard the SAE sparky talking about trade prices and that's where I got mine from. f**k that's steep when you think about it. Almost tempted to slug it out and program my own microcontroller for the conversion to save the money but one small problem. I can't program in C to save my life :)

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:10 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
The price is still restrictive (in Victoria anyway) unless someone figures out a solution to run the stock computer so the car doesn't have to go through an emission test before seeing an engineer.

Same in NSW. A "general purpose" or programmable computer controlling an engine is illegal in NSW under the Clean Air Act. Get caught with a Motec, Haltech, MS etc etc and your pocket gets lightened to the tune of $10,000. The workshop that fitted it gets slugged $50,000.

I wouldn't risk that with my daily driver. The NSW RTA generally insist that an engine transplant using a computer-controlled engine include the computer to ensure emissions compliance. No ifs, no buts.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:50 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB

ACT, Australia

hey guys made any progress yet?

MY BA DOHC POWERED EB
http://www.boostedfalcon.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=37346

Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MKII Futura

VIC, Australia

they crammed a phoon engine in a wagon :P

next on their chopping block is a boss 290 powered territory

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

Sorry for digging this up, I have been interested in a BF motor into an au, but after reading various threads about it decided it sounds too hard. However the idea of putting a BA engine in sounds great if you can get away with the au computer and various parts that have been mentioned above, my question is will the au VCT ECU run the engine if i simply dont plug in the vct solinoid control cable, if not can i simply swap my ECU for an xr6 HP ECU and get it too run without modifying the harness.

And one further question will the ba 4 speed gearbox plug into the au harness (direct swap for the au gearbox).

Anyhelp would be much appreciated as my engine and gearbox are quite sad.

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

xr8 dismantler,

Did you end up sorting out the Idling problem with the BA engine in the au? and whether it uses variable cam timing? (I know it isnt the DIVCT)

Cheers

edit, I have found that it does use vct, apparently the phasers on the engine are the same as found in a BF just the ECU is different. Did you guys just not plug them in? I have emailed atomic to find out about their vernier cam gears. Hopefully they just completely replace the VCT unit which would make life alot easier

Last edited by colin55 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

Yeah it has been awhile with this, any pictures?

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

THAT'S where this thread went! Been looking for it for a while, guess i didn't use the search function properly haha!

But yes, i'm interested in seeing pictures, anything at all? Pretty pleeeease? I'd like to see how the throttle and cables were mounted up as i had an a***hole of a time trying to get that to work not to mention the cruise control cable as well!

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I have read that the BA 4 speed has a weaker oil pump then the au 4 speed, so my plan is to run the Ba motor with an au 4 speed auto behind it, is this easy enough.

does anyone have any information on the above?

Cheers,

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

colin55 wrote:
I have read that the BA 4 speed has a weaker oil pump then the au 4 speed, so my plan is to run the Ba motor with an au 4 speed auto behind it, is this easy enough.

does anyone have any information on the above?

Cheers,

If that is true, I think you will find it will be easier to change the oil pumps over. The BA boxes also have stronger gear sets.

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 6  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next