BA on after market gas using heaps of oil 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: BA on after market gas using heaps of oil
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:16 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XLS Ute

VIC, Australia

Hey Guys,

My Ute has been had an intermittent misfire. I thought that maybe the coils may have been on their way out (done about 120xxx), I have booked it in to have it looked; however I was driving to work yesterday morning and the oil light came on. Checked the oil and it was low… I mean really low! Now before you all flame me for not checking it, it’s regularly serviced and was about 2 weeks away from due date and 1500 kms under. I had to put 3.5 ltrs of oil in it before it reached the ok level! And now the misfire seems to have gone.

So my questions are..
1 Why would it be using so much oil, no signs of leaks or smoke?
2 I run it mainly on gas but at least once a fortnight I run give or take at least half a tank of fuel, is that enough? Or should I use fuel more often?
3 Would being so low on oil cause a misfire?

And help would be good, I trust my mechanic but any extra info to go to him armed with would be great.

Cheers Paul.

Post subject: Re: BA on after market gas using heaps of oil
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

LOw oil can cause a miss or a stumble due to changes in combustion chamber temperatures.
Why it's using oil, harder to figure out.
Is it leaking from anywhere on the engine?
Any signs of a blown head gasket? Blowing any smoke?

It may be worth talkin with you're mechanic about the oil being used. It may be to thin for the engines condition.
Even going from a 10w30 to a 10w40 or a 15w40 could be the difference.

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hey are you guys running valve saver? I know it's mostly for older cars on LPG but some systems need it.

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:01 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Pakrat wrote:
Hey are you guys running valve saver? I know it's mostly for older cars on LPG but some systems need it.

And how would you add it to an LPG system? Its only an petrol additive. I would suggest they run petrol more regularly. But the price of a B-Series motor, its probably a break even exercise between running petrol from time to time and dropping another motor in.

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:34 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

I've seen low km B Series motors going for just a crack over $100. LPG motors, significantly more though,

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

It's called flashlube valve saver.....
They make a system suited for LPG vehicles, you obviously havnt seen under the bay if many LPG cars. Heaps of them have it.

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:22 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

Pakrat wrote:
It's called flashlube valve saver.....
They make a system suited for LPG vehicles, you obviously havnt seen under the bay if many LPG cars. Heaps of them have it.

Nope, I have not. Learn something new each day. how is it added to the system?

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yes, it's a good system. Easy to adjust the amounts added. Usually only see it on the older cars and the bottle is usually empty haha.

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:15 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the valvesaver lube was mainly used on older engines that didnt have hardned valve seats or ran on super...
any car that runs on unleaded or has hardned valve seats dont need to run it.....

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Does anyone know if the valvestem seals are the same in the BA and the ded gas BA?

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:45 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XLS Ute

VIC, Australia

Pakrat wrote:
LOw oil can cause a miss or a stumble due to changes in combustion chamber temperatures.
Why it's using oil, harder to figure out.
Is it leaking from anywhere on the engine?
Any signs of a blown head gasket? Blowing any smoke?

It may be worth talkin with you're mechanic about the oil being used. It may be to thin for the engines condition.
Even going from a 10w30 to a 10w40 or a 15w40 could be the difference.

Hey Pakrat,

No signs of leaks and doesn't seem like head gasket, oil was burnt as fk... Guess from being so low, but no signs of water and water is clear... Doesn't seem to blow any smoke (not that anyone but me drives it so never been behind it). Never asked what oil he uses, i know its motul..

Ash wrote:
Hey Paul,

My Territory on dual fuel is doing the same thing. The last few thousand k's the oil level hasn't dropped. But the 10 thousand or so before that, it dropped about the same as yours, it was off the dipstick! I almost did an oil change by the amount of oil I put in to top it up.

Mine does a lot of driving, up to a thousand k's a week. It's at the point where I have a stand by engine. It's not bad enough yet to swap out but bad enough for me to go and buy another motor. I'm just going to keep running it and see what happens.

I've sat and watched my wife drive off a few times and also looked over my shoulder when doing a U turn. On a few occasions I've seen blue smoke from the exhaust. It can either be cold, or after a 100k run, it may give a puff. Have you noticed this at all yet?

Hey Ash,

Have noticed a little puff on mornings when i take off but i just thought that was just cold start... I back out of my car park and then take off down the road; couple of times when i've looked back there is a little beach ball sized cloud of i would say whitish smoke.. but doesn't seem to do it when warm!?!? :?

Ash wrote:
And like Dave said, the cost of the additive and petrol out ways the cost of a replacement engine. The engine I have I couldn't sell for $300, 160k and full service history, I tried 3 times to sell and no interest what so ever. So it can stay there. That is how little these things are worth.

SOLD! lol We dont all have a used car yard at our back door! :wink:

dc_todd wrote:
I've seen low km B Series motors going for just a crack over $100. LPG motors, significantly more though,

Hmmm, well not so worried anymore.. Hadn't really look at prices for motors.. But if this is the case i'll just drive the thing till it s**t and swap it! :D

Thanks everyone one for there replies.. At this stage the mechanic says there doesn't seem to be anything they can really put it down too... So its gotta go back in 1500 kms to check oil consumption...

Cheers Paul

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]