Fordmods Logo

Ba xr6 turbo fuel rail the same as non turbo Barra 182? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Ba xr6 turbo fuel rail the same as non turbo Barra 182?
Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:51 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XR6T custom tune LI LPG

SA, Australia

I know the fuel pressure regulators are different but are the fuel rails the same?

I have a Ba XR6 Turbo

I've just replaced my injectors with 968's and found that the fuel rail has a leak at #4. Not spurting out, but weeping, it's at the point on the rail where the injector pushes in where it's leaking, but not from the injector it's the steel 'cup' on the rail (that houses the injector) that's the culprit, probably a small crack where it joins onto the main rail. It's often had a strong fuel smell.
So I am either going to get it repaired or buy another rail and fit the original Turbo fuel regulator if the rails are the same.

I will probably just have it repaired (silver soldered) but either way the rail has to come off. I've heard that getting the fuel regulator off is a pain but even if the fuel rail is the same (turbo and non turbo) I have to use the turbo fuel regulator.

Post subject: Re: Ba xr6 turbo fuel rail the same as non turbo Barra 182?
Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:50 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Fuel rails are the same.

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Cheers dude :D Picked up a nice clean rail for ba/bf from the wreckers, they said they are the same but different fuel regulator, now I've just got to get the old rail out and new one in.

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

I'm not going to do the job for a while, got other stuff on, I'll do it when I put my new injectors in, I may just get a mechanic to do it all :)

Post subject: BA turbo and non turbo fuel rail FPR seat looks different
Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

I am replacing my fuel rail on my BA xr6 turbo shortly (due to a suspected minor leak) and thought they were the same until I had a look at two side by side at the wreckers and discovered that the fuel pressure regulator seat appears different, they also thought it was the same.

The clean one on the left is the one I bought of a ba/bf non turbo I think, and the dirty one on the right is a faulty one of a BA xr6 turbo (not mine though) just shown for comparison. Is it different for a reason or is the clean one just from a later model? I don't want to have the new one installed to find out that I've lost fuel flow even with the 4 bar regulator. Both the wreckers and I thought the rails were exactly the same between I6 Turbo and non turbo models. The three pronged seat in the turbo fuel rail seems to be part of it and not something which can be pulled out.

Have any people on here with Turbo BA/BF's noticed what theirs looked like when they replaced/cleaned their fuel pressure regulator?

Attachments:
Fuel rail turbo.jpg reduced.jpg
Fuel rail turbo.jpg reduced.jpg [ 85.88 KiB | Viewed 308 times ]

Post subject: Re: BA turbo and non turbo fuel rail FPR seat looks different
Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:56 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

ive run a ba turbo reg in au fuel rail with no issue, so as long as it fits it will work

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

So your car was an AU? Was it Turboed?

Looking at the two side by side it appears that the inlet hole is larger in the turbo reg housing than in the non turbo reg housing. I'm concerned about the decreased fuel flow, running a custom tune I want to keep afr's richer.

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:16 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

yea it was turbo, running 80lb seimens injectors with ba turbo reg, tuned with flash tuner..

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:03 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

If you look at the size of the hole where the fuel rail joins the Reg housing, you will see that the hole is the same size in both rails.

Also look out the outlet hole where the reg mounts and you will see that they are the same size as well.

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:00 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

So it looks like the difference is cosmetic only rather than functional differences. I'd imagine that the dirty fuel rail to the right is AU/BA MK 1 (turbo and non turbo) and the 'newer' fuel rail on the left is BA MK 2/BF (Turbo and non turbo) :)

I've got to go back to the wreckers today, they have heaps of Fords inc. Turbos so I'll see for sure :D

Thanks heaps for your input guys ;)

I don't know why these two threads were merged, they were actually two separate threads, oh well.

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

The new fuel rail I bought is from a BF onwards, the old one is AU/BA.

Ford list different fuel rail part numbers between Turbo and non turbo models in Ba and BF. They look identical. The wreckers say that they are all the same whether ba/bf turbo or non turbo. The one I bought is like brand new and want to use it as long as it's suitable.

I've established that the fuel pressure reg is the same between BA/BF Turbo being 4 bar.

What I need to be able to see is a BF turbo FPR housing and they didn't have one from a turbo model, a guy at the wreckers says they are all the same and they can't tell which ones are turbo or non turbo....because they are all the same anyway. Ford says they are different due to the different part numbers.

Perhaps a fuel injection mob would know

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

They are the same.

Many car companies list a different part number for the same part when used on different cars.

I will bet the "Turbo" Rail will be more expensive than the "NA" Rail from Ford.

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

The new fuel rail I bought is from a BF onwards, the old one is AU/BA.

Ford list different fuel rail part numbers between Turbo and non turbo models in Ba and BF. They look identical. The wreckers say that they are all the same whether ba/bf turbo or non turbo. The one I bought is like brand new and want to use it as long as it's suitable.

I've established that the fuel pressure reg is the same between BA/BF Turbo being 4 bar.

What I need to be able to see is a BF turbo FPR housing and they didn't have one from a turbo model, a guy at the wreckers says they are all the same and they can't tell which ones are turbo or non turbo....because they are all the same anyway. Ford says they are different due to the different part numbers.

Perhaps a fuel injection mob would know

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

I took the bf rail to a fuel injection mob who felt that fitting the Bf rail would be fine as long as I have the correct 4 bar fuel reg. The difference he said between the two is just the old rail had a reinforcement plate in place and the newer one doesn't but they are essentially the same between ba/bf turbo and non turbo.

I'm pretty happy with that.

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

SWC wrote:
They are the same.

Many car companies list a different part number for the same part when used on different cars.

I will bet the "Turbo" Rail will be more expensive than the "NA" Rail from Ford.

Agreed, I bet it is to:)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]