BA XR6T backfire?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: BA XR6T backfire??
Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:11 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 26 images

Ride: 2003 BA XR6 TURBO!!!!!

VIC, Australia

hey, just wondering if anyone has had problems with what i believe is a backfire.
it didnt have the huge bang that usually comes with backfires though, and i was pritty sure backfirering only occured because of a red hot carbon build up around the spark plugs.
this happned when tryin the start the car cold.
it didnt quite start first time, and then when trying to start it again, its stopped and smoke came out from under the hood.

it has only happened twice, and the stupid f#*king ford mechanics said they could find nothing wrong with it. (they also couldnt find anything wrong after like, 10,000 complaints about there AU diff, so what can i say?)

i am assuming its a problem with timing on ignition, because the car still runs beautifily once its going.

any suggestions?
anyone else had this problem?

Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Falcon

WA, Australia

Yeah sounds like a timing problem, the back fire would have come about with all the unburnt fuel finally igniting, which may come back through inlet manifold, may also pay to check out fuel you are using sometimes impure fuel can give the effect of timing problems, I use 98 Ultimate BP.

Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 26 images

Ride: 2003 BA XR6 TURBO!!!!!

VIC, Australia

it usually runs on optimax, but the backfire happened after filling up with some no-name crap, so that was probly it.
thanks a lot

Post subject: Re: BA XR6T backfire??
Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

elvondel wrote:
hey, just wondering if anyone has had problems with what i believe is a backfire.
it didnt have the huge bang that usually comes with backfires though, and i was pritty sure backfirering only occured because of a red hot carbon build up around the spark plugs.
this happned when tryin the start the car cold.
it didnt quite start first time, and then when trying to start it again, its stopped and smoke came out from under the hood.

it has only happened twice, and the stupid f#*king ford mechanics said they could find nothing wrong with it. (they also couldnt find anything wrong after like, 10,000 complaints about there AU diff, so what can i say?)

i am assuming its a problem with timing on ignition, because the car still runs beautifily once its going.

any suggestions?
anyone else had this problem?

Mate, don't get me started on bloody Ford mechanics!

Dads turbo has never had this prob. Come to think of it, it's never backfired once (even when shedding revs from 4,000rpm in second :wink: )...

Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Eb II 5 speed Wagon

NSW, Australia

why is it that everyone has a go at ford mechanics.
Quote:
elvondel Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:02 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it usually runs on optimax, but the backfire happened after filling up with some no-name crap, so that was probly it.
thanks a lot

i work at a dealer myself. we have the tools we have, we cant just magically say that is what the problem is if the car wont even do it in front of us. its like saying change my oil but you cant even go near the car it is not a possability. you even admitted yourself that you had the car running on s**t fuel when it is specified to run on premium unleaded?

EB II 5 Speed wagon
4L MPEFI with EEC IV & Smartlock
Air Con
Windscreen mounted sun visor
Tow Bar
15Inch Pensioner special Alloys with cheap tires
Radio/Cassete
Self Retracting Safety Belts
Fold Down Rear Seats
Clear Side Indicators

Such Exciting stuff is a GLI

Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

Eb II 5SpdWagon wrote:
why is it that everyone has a go at ford mechanics.
Quote:
elvondel Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:02 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks a lot

i work at a dealer myself. we have the tools we have, we cant just magically say that is what the problem is if the car wont even do it in front of us. its like saying change my oil but you cant even go near the car it is not a possability. you even admitted yourself that you had the car running on s**t fuel when it is specified to run on premium unleaded?

It's not so much that Ford mechanics are expected to perform miracles, it's their attitude (combined with the sales personell) that stinks!

Just my personal experiences though...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]