BA XT vs AU XR8 

Page 1 of 4 [ 48 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: BA XT vs AU XR8
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:23 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU-XR8

NSW, Australia

Was looking at buying an AU XR8 but i've noticed that the BA XT 6 cyl puts out 184 odd KW.

Is the performance of the AU XR8 that much more noticable and worth the extra cash and insurance for an under 25 when i can pick up a BA XT for mid $20k and then afford to lower on some quality suspension with some nice rims, exhaust, stereo upgrage and the usual stuff?

I've seen a black BA XT dumped as low as it could go on 19's with dark tint and i have to say it s**t all over an AU XR for style.

Any thoughts?

She'd be a lot more modded if I didn't have to keep wasting cash on repairs.

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

I'd actually prefer the AU for the torque and note.. However being an XR insurance will be higher. Go the BA.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 32 GTR

NSW, Australia

The AU XR8 puts out 185kw standard and the BA 182kw....
I would definately go for the BA as it is a newer car, a more comfortable car, better looking car it's running costs will be much less and insurance is less then insuring a V8. BTW BA XT's MK I's go for as little as 17k now, if you look around there is no reason you will not find such a bargain. :wink: Good luck.

237.9 KW ATW

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

What series AU XR8 are you looking at? AFAIK each series had a different power output. I wouldn't expect that the BA could keep up with any of them though, but I'd still take it as there'd be massive savings on insurance and such which can be spent on getting the car to go harder...

Post subject: Re: BA XT vs AU XR8
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

ebbes wrote:

I've seen a black BA XT dumped as low as it could go on 19's with dark tint and i have to say it s**t all over an AU XR for style.

Any thoughts?

Yeah I think I saw that one or one pretty similar to it about 10 months ago driving to Parramatta on the Great Western Hwy.I didn't know what it was at first as it was black and had 19"' But was also completely DE-badged as didn't even have the "Ford" badge on the rear either. I only realised it was a BA XT when It drove by me and then I thought it looked really TOUGH and Cool. Made me think I want one of those XT like that. Now!

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA GT

WA, Australia

i just saw a red one about 15 mins ago with 2 black stripes down the side and a nice set of wheels :!: :!: 4 sure go for the BA ;)

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED Falcon

VIC, Australia

My old man has an BA XT. It's in black, and is manual. Get one, they go fairly bloody well, and have an LSD standard (dunno what ratio, but it feels tall-ish). I was actually quite impressed by the note of the motor... i mean you can't beat a V8 for sound, but that 6 sounds sweet enough for me over 3000rpm...

Post subject: Re: BA XT vs AU XR8
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

ebbes wrote:
Was looking at buying an AU XR8 but i've noticed that the BA XT 6 cyl puts out 184 odd KW.

Is the performance of the AU XR8 that much more noticable and worth the extra cash and insurance for an under 25 when i can pick up a BA XT for mid $20k and then afford to lower on some quality suspension with some nice rims, exhaust, stereo upgrage and the usual stuff?

Any thoughts?
i had the same dilema and ended up with the au xr8 as ive sworn ill never own a 6 again or at least untill the ba has proven that the head gaskets are nothing like any of the e series plus lets face it v8,s are just so much cooler

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:31 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: AU1 XR6 VCT

VIC, Australia

Depends what model AU XR8 too.
AU1 = 185kw
AU2 = 200kw
AU3 = 220kw (and some very late AU2's as well)

I will also say that all 3 of them will be quicker than the XT....and sound better. They will also hold their value longer than the BA in comparison to the purchase price.

In the end its your call...

AU XR6 VCT 14.57 @ 92.92mph.
Auto - NA - Unopened
Proudly tuned and prepared by G&D Performance Tuning - Get the Edge!

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AU FAIRLANE

VIC, Australia

I've owned both these cars and performance wise the ba was on par with my 200 kw xr8 but the winsor was unstopable. Flat shifts rev limitter banging for an hour on the great ocean rd / clutch dumps / burnouts and is a far better driving/ handling/ steering car and has a killer note with a zorst. All of which you dont get with the ba. Go the au xr8 but make sure it's the 200 or 220kw one.
My 10 cents worth

Now with a hint of "BLING"

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:04 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL II XR8

Power: 146 rwkw

SA, Australia

tough descision ... solve all your problems mate .. save extra $$$ and buy an XT V8~~ azaar ... if cash straps you .. i dont know either. depends on what you want the car for ... ie styling/sound/speed/ altho id imagine with some mods a low 15 could be possible for the BA i6 ??? whereas the same amount of cash would prolly cu into mid ~ low 14's witht he AU?

EL II XR8 - project powerdyne.
www.modfordclub.proboards101.com
www.mumbo.com.au

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:51 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

got the AU :) you can do more mods to it hehe
and a cam/roller cokers on teh v8 and she be pum ping over 220kw easy!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:29 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA

WA, Australia

The ba xt you can find for 20g and spend $2500 on the motor and you have a 14 second car.

Or the ba xr6's can be found for the 26 500 mark if you can wait and save a bit.

I have an xt and its great (lowered rims etc) but its still no 200 or 220kw v8.

Really depends what you want. Remember part of your decision was insurance. If you highly modify the ba6 your insurance probably won't cover you anyway, so if its speed you want a stock xr8 would be better.

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

also another issue with the ba's and au's is tghat the au is a fair bit lighter therefore even with less kw than a ba can probably still keep up due toless weight.
i've had a go against a ba xr8 ute from about 60kmh to 140 kmh and actually pulled about a carlength on it., the same against an xr6 turbo manual with exhaust on the freeway at about 100k's to abbout 160k's and pulled about half a car length on him and actually got a thumbs up from the driver.
but yeh u cant beat the note of the windsor
regards from adam

series3 xr8 5 speed manual, pacemaker extractors, 3' exhaust, lowered cold air intake, k&n filter, interior, 3.9s
13.9584 @ 98.51 mph 1.9447 60 ft
188.9rwkw 525nm torque
AU2te50 lowered twin 2.5 inch exhaust

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next