Fordmods Logo

Battery relocation problems help plz!!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Battery relocation problems help plz!!!
Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF V8 Futura, 180sx

QLD, Australia

hey guys

the problem is the car won't start some times it cranks over like a dead battery.

i always keep spare battery in the car and jumper leads to get the car to start i have to connect the batery to the main fuse or back of the alternator and it crank over nice and quick and starts but if i connect the jump pack to the battery in the boot it wont start still has the dead battery symptoms.

but when i do jump the car and disconnect the jumper battery and turn off and start car again it starts perfict like the jumper battery still connected.

the cable is 0 Gauge cable
and some days it good some days it not.

any ideas??? i think it might be the cable but i don't want to go and replace a $100+ cable without cheaking everything over first.

im open to any ideas
here a pic of my setup

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

here pic

Attachments:
battery relocate setup.JPG
battery relocate setup.JPG [ 44.19 KiB | Viewed 1200 times ]

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

Hey,

The average set of jumper leads is about the same distance from a falcon boot to the motor, give or take, so maybe the battery is stuffed, have you tried with your spare battery.

I would expect that a cable of about 10mm dia' would be sufficient to not give that much of a voltage drop. Jaycar sell a good little battery/alternator tester, get one and see what happens, maybe your alternator is about to go by-by...........

Cheers

8-) Daz 8-)

BA XR8 Boss 260
DAZFAB......Now Mobile
Mink = GAY
DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DA22LE, XTT909, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN, SWC, FAT245

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

DA22LE wrote:
Hey,

The average set of jumper leads is about the same distance from a falcon boot to the motor, give or take, so maybe the battery is stuffed, have you tried with your spare battery.

I would expect that a cable of about 10mm dia' would be sufficient to not give that much of a voltage drop. Jaycar sell a good little battery/alternator tester, get one and see what happens, maybe your alternator is about to go by-by...........

Cheers

8-) Daz 8-)

yer ive tryed with 2 batterys and spare battery on it own from the boot. yer the actual cable is 10mm dia if not more like 12mm or 14mm all i know it is the thickest cable i could get which is 0 gauge

Ford EF Futura Black

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Remember with such a long thick cable you loose amps along its length, if the CCA of the battery is not upgraded over standard you can encounter starting problems.

What is the CCA of your battery in the boot?

Another one could be your earth? How thick is your cable and where is it going to from the battery?

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

umm it either 450cca or 500cca but they still dont start when i connect both battery together from the boot and tht nearly 1000cca.

and from what ive been taught you don't loose amperage over distance unless it large distance or the cable thin that creates heat in the cable which creates a resistance that drop amperage.

Ford EF Futura Black

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef fairmont

NSW, Australia

it might need a nother earth i put one from the motor to the fire wall . just try it and see how you go .anything is worth a try

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]