Fordmods Logo

Best BF engine to put a turbo on.. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Best BF engine to put a turbo on..
Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Hi all,

I understand from searching that all BF turbo's after 2006/06 have F6 bottom ends..
Is it just the turbo's that got those or did all the BF2's get a conrod upgrade?

Also did all BF2's get upgraded valve springs or just the xr6t? I know the BA engine I have now is basically a NA engine with low comp pistons but I'm running liquid LPG now so low compression isn't as essential as it is on petrol.

I ask because I've been searching for hours and gotten lots of contradictory info.
Basically, what NA B series engine would be best to build on for a replacement engine.

Is the non floating pin in the egas engines a big deal? I know they are supposed to wear out faster due to less bearing surface, but how big a deal is it?

If the only engines with the better springs and conrods is the bf2 xr6T and F6 then I might as well just get any BF engine and put aftermarket springs and rods in it.. I'm only asking because I can get BF engines (NA) cheaply so was checking if any of them are particularly good for a base.

regards

Frank

Post subject: Re: Best BF engine to put a turbo on..
Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

AFAIK mate it was only the BF II turbos that got the FPV bottom end. I'm not sure if typhoon rods would fit with an NA piston. Contradictory internet information is nothing new, it propagates itself. One misunderstanding leads to others misunderstanding.

I could be very, very wrong though. Need a qualified opinion here.

Failing that check under the hood of a NA BF II. If it says "Engine Family: Typhoon" on the tag at the front of the bonnet underside, then NA's got stronger bottom ends.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
AFAIK mate it was only the BF II turbos that got the FPV bottom end. I'm not sure if typhoon rods would fit with an NA piston. Contradictory internet information is nothing new, it propagates itself. One misunderstanding leads to others misunderstanding.

I could be very, very wrong though. Need a qualified opinion here.

Failing that check under the hood of a NA BF II. If it says "Engine Family: Typhoon" on the tag at the front of the bonnet underside, then NA's got stronger bottom ends.

I know the EGas engines got the fpv rods too.. Just without the full floating pins that the NA and turbos have. I'm just wondering of the NA BF2 rods are much better than standard BA rods . the BA xr6t has the same rods as the NA motors. Really I should just rebuild the Fairmont bf motor with aftermarket rods and springs and be done with it.

Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

All turbo and LPG engines have a floating pin. The N/A's have press fit. I would just get a na motor and build it up. the only major differences in the head is springs and valve material.

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

macxr8 wrote:
All turbo and LPG engines have a floating pin. The N/A's have press fit. I would just get a na motor and build it up. the only major differences in the head is springs and valve material.

LOL.. I am getting more confused by the day.. so the bf2 egas engine has the exact same rods, floating pin and all to the BF turbo then? mint.. I'll ask my man if I can have the engine from the next 06/06 + factory gas BF that comes in. He doesnt' really buy turbos as the prices go to high in Perth.. The egas though should be ok.

Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

the Egas has the BA turbo rod...not the BF2 rods....

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

macxr8 wrote:
the Egas has the BA turbo rod...not the BF2 rods....

Lol.. looks like Im just going to buy some after market rods then. I was planning to use one as a higher compression base for a new engine.. I run liquid gas injection now so 110 octane.. thought the higher compression would make off boost power better and a smoother transition to on boost.

BTW, I just read that you lost the EL in 2011.. that's a shame.. that was a piece of art. My EL was written off by a commodore driver too.. in my case he ran a stop sign and hit the side.

Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

BA Egas rods are not floating pin they are press fit,

Scat rods and Mahle Forged pistons / rings / pins are approx $1800
the pistons are made of 4032 which is the same material used in the cosworth pistons

Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

66 coupe wrote:
BA Egas rods are not floating pin they are press fit,

Scat rods and Mahle Forged pistons / rings / pins are approx $1800
the pistons are made of 4032 which is the same material used in the cosworth pistons

Hey 66coupe... didn't know you were still around, good to see you.. bought a couple of mls gasket/bolt sets off you in the past.

That was my understanding about the press fit pins in egas too, from reading on boosted falcons and the like.. I wish we had a parts book for the BF series and the F6 cars we could settle this once and for all and detailing it for everyone. everywhere I have asked I've ended up with conflicting reports. best details I have about i6 rods is from here:
http://www.fordmods.com/ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/bottom-ends-t92834-20.html but it only mentions ba once or twice and not BF or FPV at all. makes me wish mr papa smurf hadn't retired. :-)

I'm not actually looking to make more than 400rwkw.. but I don't want to have an engine that bends a rod the first time it has a gas backfire, or the traction control protection kicks in under boost.

If I was gonna go nuts I'd get some scats or something. but from where I am now, all I'm planning to add to the engine is a decent dump pipe and tune adjustments for the JTG gas.

I have a custom modded turbo that was in the car when I got it.. (though the guy I got it off didn't know anything about it) I have a 36mm modded wastegate complete turbo from TurboTech.. makes me wonder if there is more about this engine I don't know. (like aftermarket springs and/or rods) I'm thinking of buying one of those remote camera things and feeding it up the oil drain hole to see if I can see the rods.. then doing the same with the tappet cover.

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: '07 XT

NSW, Australia

Technically the turbos have the gas rods, not the other way around.

I'm not aware of any petrol NA engines getting anything decent part wise though. I was also under the impression all BA's were press fit, all BF's floating pin.

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

frankieh wrote:

Hey 66coupe... didn't know you were still around, good to see you.. bought a couple of mls gasket/bolt sets off you in the past.

That was my understanding about the press fit pins in egas too, from reading on boosted falcons and the like.. I wish we had a parts book for the BF series and the F6 cars we could settle this once and for all and detailing it for everyone. everywhere I have asked I've ended up with conflicting reports. best details I have about i6 rods is from here:
http://www.fordmods.com/ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/bottom-ends-t92834-20.html but it only mentions ba once or twice and not BF or FPV at all. makes me wish mr papa smurf hadn't retired. :-)

I'm not actually looking to make more than 400rwkw.. but I don't want to have an engine that bends a rod the first time it has a gas backfire, or the traction control protection kicks in under boost.

If I was gonna go nuts I'd get some scats or something. but from where I am now, all I'm planning to add to the engine is a decent dump pipe and tune adjustments for the JTG gas.

I have a custom modded turbo that was in the car when I got it.. (though the guy I got it off didn't know anything about it) I have a 36mm modded wastegate complete turbo from TurboTech.. makes me wonder if there is more about this engine I don't know. (like aftermarket springs and/or rods) I'm thinking of buying one of those remote camera things and feeding it up the oil drain hole to see if I can see the rods.. then doing the same with the tappet cover.

hey mate yeah still around

for your intended power level id go with aftermarket rods and pistons etc for the sake of reliability

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

here are the 6 rods available for the BA and BF....read the notes....and year model breaks

Attachments:
Microcat MARKETĀ®.pdf [77.27 KiB]
Downloaded 692 times
6.pdf [76.9 KiB]
Downloaded 706 times
5.pdf [76.39 KiB]
Downloaded 590 times
4.pdf [77.88 KiB]
Downloaded 542 times
3.pdf [77.91 KiB]
Downloaded 526 times
2.pdf [77.41 KiB]
Downloaded 609 times

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

macxr8 wrote:
here are the 6 rods available for the BA and BF....read the notes....and year model breaks

Wow, that is awesome! thanks for that..

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

OK, the summary of what MacXr posted is as follows:

Code:

Model: BA    Eng: 4L Type: LPG    Part#:   AU26200A  From: 01/07/2002 Until: 30/11/2002
Model: BA/II Eng: 4L Type: Turbo  Part#:   BA6200A   From: 01/07/2002 Until: 30/04/2006
Model: BF/II Eng: 4L Type: Turbo  Part#:   BG6200A   From: 01/05/2006 Until: 30/04/2007
Model: BA-   Eng: 4L Type: PET    Part#:   AU26200A  From: 01/07/2002 Until: ????????
Model: BA-   Eng: 4L Type: LPG    Part#:   BA6200C   From: 01/12/2002 Until: ????????

Some other part numbers I don't know much about but found online:
typhoon something: BA2T6200C
LPG something: BA6200B (probably replaced by the BA6200C now)

So we are getting a definitive list here.. If anyone is fully versed in the FPV part numbers they'd be great to add to this as well.

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

BA2T6200C doesnt come up.......
BA2600B would of superceded to BA2600C

I used a BA F6 as the search criteria and still came up with the same part numbers...if someone wants to PM me a BA or BF VIN for a F6 will look it up

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]