Best rotors & pads for an AU Fairmont 

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Best rotors & pads for an AU Fairmont
Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Yep, they disperse heat better, but they also have less pad contact area and less metal meaning they heat up quicker, plus seeing as they are drilled the metal is already stressed (tempering helps but doesn't eliminate). Drastic changes of temperature in short times kills rotors (warps and cracking).

The only type I would use would be cross cast (not worth the cost and none for falcons).

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU Mont 2000

WA, Australia

skidder wrote:
Yep, they disperse heat better, but they also have less pad contact area and less metal meaning they heat up quicker, plus seeing as they are drilled the metal is already stressed (tempering helps but doesn't eliminate). Drastic changes of temperature in short times kills rotors (warps and cracking).

The only type I would use would be cross cast (not worth the cost and none for falcons).

that's a good explanation of it.

you know what, the DBA website explains it that the overall heat dissipation is better, hence the pads will last longer, but it didn't say anything about the rotors. They did mention cracking but said it was only 0.2% chance of it happening.

Considering what you said though (which makes more sense). I guess you are ruling out the cross drilled ones then. Would you consider the slotted ones? or the standard (flat) rotor ones?

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

I have used the slotted and they seem to be fine, plus have the advantage of venting the gasses that build up between the pad and the rotor.

Cracking is definately less common than warping, but I have seen a few cases of it on falcons (including mine). It doesn't help that the falcons have a rotor/contact area relatively small to the weight of the car.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2