Fordmods Logo

BF MkII Cooling System 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: BF MkII Cooling System
Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon BF MkII

QLD, Australia

I have had occasional issues with splitting radiator hoses on my BF MkII falcon (6spd Auto) and was thinking a cooling system upgrade might be worthwhile.

I have considered the following options, and a have few questions :

1. Radiator and fan upgrade ?
2. Hose upgrade - Is silicone a worthwhile upgrade ? (I have seen mixed reports on this and am lost)
3. Is it worth upgrading the oil cooling system ?
4. Any recommendations on the best oil to use ?
5. Is Lucas oil stabilizer any good ?

I don't drive it hard, but when i do, I want a system that can hold up. Any advice to improve cooling efficiency will be most appreciated :-)

On a side note, I have upgraded DBA slotted vented front discs, and recently purchased a set of QFM HPX pads for the front, replacing a set of Ferodo Thermoquiet's, but still suffered brake fade on an energetic trip down a nearby mountain range. Apart from a full brake system upgrade, does anyone have recommendations on a pad that can handle a bit of high spirited twisty mountain pass driving without overheating and becoming useless ?

Post subject: Re: BF MkII Cooling System
Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:38 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

In my opinion I feel the cooling system on the B series is pretty good. Here are my suggestions.
Do a full flush of the radiator.
Use good quality coolant with correct mix ratios. Eg Nulon / Penrite.
Replace top and bottom hoses with newbies. I use genuine as they are cheap enough.
Run an external transmission cooler so you have no chance of coolant contamination in the auto.
Upgrade your Brakes to the BF/FG Turbo ones as they are bigger and perform better.
No matter what brakes you use they will all get hot enough if you give them a hard time.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

93EB wrote:
In my opinion I feel the cooling system on the B series is pretty good. Here are my suggestions.
Do a full flush of the radiator.
Use good quality coolant with correct mix ratios. Eg Nulon / Penrite.
Replace top and bottom hoses with newbies. I use genuine as they are cheap enough.
Run an external transmission cooler so you have no chance of coolant contamination in the auto.
Upgrade your Brakes to the BF/FG Turbo ones as they are bigger and perform better.
No matter what brakes you use they will all get hot enough if you give them a hard time.

the only problem ive had with my cooling system is the thermostat sticking open and old cooolant hoses on the transmission heat transferer letting go, and that was due to age, the hoses were absolutely rooted! id suggest if you replace anything on your cooling system go and get the xr6t thermostat as its the same temperature but has a higher flow, and its one of the parts that often fails yet is often overlooked in my experience.

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:59 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon BF MkII

QLD, Australia

Good advice, thanks guys :-)

I will try out that thermostat option for sure.

I am due a full system flush out, I have a mechanic friend who can get hold of good quality fluids at wholesale for me, so gonna flush the oil system and cooling systems thoroughly.
I've only recently replaced the top radiator hose with whatever brand Repco carry, from memory, it came up as one of the best stock rubber hoses on the market.
I have only ever used Penrite or Nulon coolant, except when my hose recently split on a Sunday afternoon as I was about to head back to Brisbane from the Gold Coast, and had to improvise with race tape and whatever coolant the nearby 711 servo had ! (Race tape held up for the trip back to Brisbane, I was most impressed)

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

I have made the same repairs with race tape and it held for a week before I changed it :lol:

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]