big bottom end knock 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: big bottom end knock
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:48 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ea falcon

NSW, Australia

try removing all the bolts in that area and check for damage.. you may have replaced a short bolt with a long one?...

EA falcon(S-Pac) AU engine and injector's, EL BBM conversion,K&N pod,EL ECU,T5 5speed,EL Streering rack, EL Brake system, Extractor's 2 1/2in high flow cat, through 2 1/2in mandrel bent pipe with Lukey Performance muffler

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

Mate if you havnt locked the converter into the box before installing the issue is going to be directly related.
Pull the box and have a good look at everything. If you have another box and converter I'd just use them.

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Turned out there's no damage to converter and box but it definitely wasn't on right (good thing I lined it before driving it :shock:) problem is the crank is hitting the sump at the very back right near the bellhousing. I bloody remember why now too, I had to jack it up a little from that point for clearance to get the dust cover out because the motor was on the ground (I was doing rear main seal). Maybe I could use a special suction tool or take it to a panel beater or something? I might even weld a puller to it somehow last thing I want to do is another sump gasket ie take the motor out. I could pull it all out again and bash the sump out with a hammer but my god is there a quicker way?? drop k frame instead of motor/box? The sump gasket and silicon will cost me another $40 all up so I'm really thinking of taking it to a panel beater if they can pull the dint out safely without screwing up the gasket.

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I did Benj's by tacking a washer onto the sump and leavering it gently down with a bar. Be gentle, last thing you want to do is tear the sump.

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:27 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

ILLaViTaR wrote:
Turned out there's no damage to converter and box but it definitely wasn't on right (good thing I lined it before driving it :shock:) problem is the crank is hitting the sump at the very back right near the bellhousing. I bloody remember why now too, I had to jack it up a little from that point for clearance to get the dust cover out because the motor was on the ground (I was doing rear main seal). Maybe I could use a special suction tool or take it to a panel beater or something? I might even weld a puller to it somehow last thing I want to do is another sump gasket ie take the motor out. I could pull it all out again and bash the sump out with a hammer but my god is there a quicker way?? drop k frame instead of motor/box? The sump gasket and silicon will cost me another $40 all up so I'm really thinking of taking it to a panel beater if they can pull the dint out safely without screwing up the gasket.

ummm .... the panel beater WILL cost more than your time & the $$ of the gasket - eitha try SWC's way or pull motor out if ya not sure ya canna do it

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

ok welded a few washers on there and managed to bend it out :) Sure beats taking the motor out again. The knock is gone finally!! Thanks heaps guys I took it for a test drive and besides some squeaks in the suspension it seems awfully down on power and non responsive (takes seconds to respond to my foot), it didn't rev over 3000rpm until ages and I couldn't get it any higher :? , so I think it's stuck in 3rd gear or limp home mode, it's rather undriveable it's so down on power. The other weird thing is the speedo is going nuts, flying up and down erratically 10-20km over/under the current speed. Definitely something going on there I'm thinking maybe one of the wiring plugs on the gearbox or maybe a bad earth, fluid did get all over the inhibitor switch on the gearbox so maybe that's buggered, the oil pressure gauge maxed out for a split second as well but then returned to normal. Hopefully it's all something simple!

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:05 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

ILLaViTaR wrote:
ok welded a few washers on there and managed to bend it out :) Sure beats taking the motor out again. The knock is gone finally!! Thanks heaps guys I took it for a test drive and besides some squeaks in the suspension it seems awfully down on power and non responsive (takes seconds to respond to my foot), it didn't rev over 3000rpm until ages and I couldn't get it any higher :? , so I think it's stuck in 3rd gear or limp home mode, it's rather undriveable it's so down on power. The other weird thing is the speedo is going nuts, flying up and down erratically 10-20km over/under the current speed. Definitely something going on there I'm thinking maybe one of the wiring plugs on the gearbox or maybe a bad earth, fluid did get all over the inhibitor switch on the gearbox so maybe that's buggered, the oil pressure gauge maxed out for a split second as well but then returned to normal. Hopefully it's all something simple!

It won't be the inhibitor switch, check your speedo transducer and gear on the opposite side.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2