Fordmods Logo

Blown Head Gasket Query. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Blown Head Gasket Query.
Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Hi folks, I am pretty sure I have a Blown Head Gasket (BHG) which I gotta fix. (long story)

My question is this: The head was from JMM, and he gave me the torque numbers for tightening it down.

Now I know Mr. Ford says X Nm plus so many degrees, but Brendan (Mock) gave me a set of numbers which seemed much more practical.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE THOSE NUMBERS????????????????

As an aside, seeing as JMM has crashed, who can be recommended to do good stuff to a 4L sohc head in Vic??

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Blown Head Gasket Query.
Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

you usually do the torque to suit the gasket that you use. i'd recommend an au mls gasket. where abouts in melb are you?

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ford Fairlane na2

TAS, Australia

i just did mine and i replaced the composite with a mls i did the bolts to the ford specs for the sake of it being tighter but what ever you dont get s**t bolts. use au bolts the thread goes up the length of the bolt more which means the weaker spot is further up and away from the mating surfaces of head and block. which is great because they are less prone to stretching and in using mls you get greater compression and instead of replacing the head gasket every 30k km you only need to replace it every 400k km. wouldnt recommend it and the mls gasket can handle about 12psi of boost without problem.

NA2 fairlane - 3.9 with au headgasket & injectors, ef fans, 2.5" zorst, lowered on selby springs , kenwood head unit and 6 speakers, fusion sub, el ecu & ti chip

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Quote:
you usually do the torque to suit the gasket that you use. i'd recommend an au mls gasket. where abouts in melb are you?

I'm actually in country Vic. I just remember that it was much easier using the torque settings that JMM gave me. I will use the Ford settings if I can't find the alternative settings

Quote:
use au bolts the thread goes up the length of the bolt more which means the weaker spot is further up and away from the mating surfaces of head and block. which is great because they are less prone to stretching and in using mls you get greater compression

That's an interesting point.

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:31 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: FG G6ET

VIC, Australia

45nm then 90 degrees, but it does make a difference whether it be a metal shim or fiber steel type gasket

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

The AU settings use 30Nm and 120 degrees for the second torque - if you don't have a degree wheel, you could make up a cardboard template and try that - e.g. if you scribe a circle, scribe the radius two times along the circumference, that'll give you the angle.
I'd suggest as you torque each bolt in sequence and stage, use a permanent marker to mark the bolt head, e.g. a stroke - one means first stage torque, second stroke/cross means bolt has 1st and 2nd stage torques done.
PITA if you have to go away and remember where you were up to.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ford Fairlane na2

TAS, Australia

you can get a degree wheel from supercheap for about 10 bucks but you need to people i found when using it.

NA2 fairlane - 3.9 with au headgasket & injectors, ef fans, 2.5" zorst, lowered on selby springs , kenwood head unit and 6 speakers, fusion sub, el ecu & ti chip

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]