Fordmods Logo

Blown Headgasket? SCOTSMAN IS A DRUGGO!!!!! LMAO.... 

Page 5 of 5 [ 66 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XY Fairmont

SA, Australia

Just went around to work and pulled a rocker cover off an old engine we had laying around. The cam pin does line up with the timing mark on the cam gear. Disregard the mark on your cam gear and use the pin.

Real Cars have Chrome Bars

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FGX G6ET

NSW, Australia

hmmm....not on mine...and its running perfect...there is a definite mark on the sprocket..a little dot...someone on FFAU explained it
You can Just make it out in this photo...

The dot on the OUTER edge of the cam sprocket(yellow arrow) sits
3mm above level with the top of the head. The line(blue arrow) is supposed to line up with a painted mark on a new chain which wears off after a while.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:03 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

madmax wrote:
snap0964 wrote:
the_scotsman wrote:
LOL...yea thats my only real problem, not knowing if the lower timing marks behind the cover are lined up!
other wise, thats what id do....damn damn damn....
As mentioned Dave, I doubt the Aux shaft alignment is an issue with EL's - just pull your dizzy cap and make sure the rotor is at the right position when the crank is at TDC(#1&6 piston on the rise), if not, pull the dizzy and realign it . . . :P Later when the engine is running, you can fine tune the timing.
The only issue I can see with that is, if it was way out you could end up with the TFI against the block, where there isn't room.
Well that would be apparent with the crank at TDC, If the rotor was a fair amount out of alignment with the 'finish' mark - Dave's Gregory's details the TFI and rotor positioning when refitting the dizzy.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:37 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

the_scotsman wrote:
OK, the head is off, so much easier than I thought it would be...

One problem...what do I do about that little shim thing that is still in the head? How do I get it out, or will the people who skim the head be able to remove it?
the machinist will remove it easily , the au gsk is a drop on and dont forget new head bolts , only $30.00 and money well spent , read the manual CAREFULLY when reassembling
good luck

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:47 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Its only the locating dowl for the head and the block, you use an ezi out or if you can get hold of one, a bolt that is a snug fit in the hole clamp around the dowel with vice grips, twist and pull. Otherwise who ever does the machining van get it out, just remember to get it back off them to put back in the block before the head goes on.

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FGX G6ET

NSW, Australia

lol...thanks but a bit late...if you read the whole thread, you will see its all done...I just got them to pull it out, and I put it back in myself...

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 5  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5