Fordmods Logo

Broadband intake manifold - exterior polished or as-cast? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: Broadband intake manifold - exterior polished or as-cast?
Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Am putting together a grunty naturally-aspirated engine for my EF XR6. Have noticed that intake air temperature has a dramatic effect on performance. I have a phenolic insulator to reduce heat conduction from the head to the manifold. But the engine bay is a hot place, and the intake manifold can get quite hot, warming the incoming air and reducing power.

So, before I put it all back together, I want to do what I can to reduce this heating. I am tossing up whether or not to polish the outside of the intake manifold to minimise the heat getting in.

Aluminium is a good reflector of heat - from about 70% reflectivity for heavily oxidised, up to 96% for highly polished. So, a polished manifold should pick up less radiant heat. But aluminium is also a great conductor of heat. And polishing would significantly reduce the surface area, so there should be less surface available to conduct heat from the engine bay air.

In my head, the science is saying to polish the manifold. But, I'm not a scientist, and could have it all wrong. Is there anyone on the forum with experience of what happens to intake air temps and power when you polish the exterior of the manifold?

Thanks.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]