Fordmods Logo

Cam Gear Mark & Crankshaft 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Cam Gear Mark & Crankshaft
Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ok, short story, the car feels underpowered and has a slight miss since a timing kit was fitted by a mechanic

I found & measured today that "TRUE" piston no.1 TDC happens before the cranskaft mark lines up to the timing cover notch. (about 12mm before) The crankshaft pulley is NOT telling the correct point @ TDC

So i checked the cam gear mark at TRUE piston TDC, and the cam gear mark is 5mm above the head, when its supposed to be within 3mm

MY dilemma is if i shift the cam timing forward a tooth, it will be 5mm BELOW the head as there is a 10mm gap between teeth

So what the f**k do i do? Do i leave it 5mm ABOVE the head or shift it forward a tooth and have it 5mm BELOW the head?

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

get an adjustable cam gear and set it that way

and while your at it. replace the balancer. It must have slipped to be that far out.

Post subject: Re: Cam Gear Mark & Crankshaft
Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
Ok, short story, the car feels underpowered and has a slight miss since a timing kit was fitted by a mechanic

I found & measured today that "TRUE" piston no.1 TDC happens before the cranskaft mark lines up to the timing cover notch. (about 12mm before) The crankshaft pulley is NOT telling the correct point @ TDC

So i checked the cam gear mark at TRUE piston TDC, and the cam gear mark is 5mm above the head, when its supposed to be within 3mm

MY dilemma is if i shift the cam timing forward a tooth, it will be 5mm BELOW the head as there is a 10mm gap between teeth

So what the f**k do i do? Do i leave it 5mm ABOVE the head or shift it forward a tooth and have it 5mm BELOW the head?

Bit of mining got me here as I have the same issue, have just fitted head and changed all guides and timing chain. The cam gear mark is about 5mm above the head. What did you end up doing in your case bro? I was gonna rotate the cam gear 1 full tooth to see if I could get it line up better, but ran out of light today.

Please advise.

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]