Cam vernier adjustment 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Cam vernier adjustment
Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Falcon

Power: 146 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I just instaled a wade 1636 cam in my car with a worked head & au gasket. I put the tensioner in & checked the cam tdc. I noticed that tdc dot was way to high (not 3 deg.). I got my degree wheel & checked,it was approx. 6 degrees. I advanced the cam one line & made it worse.
I retareded the cam one line & got 3-4 degrees. I drove the car & the cam kicks in hard from 2500-3000 up to 5500rpm.
Could anyone please tell me if that sounds right.
I did check tech doc. & it said to check tdc with the tensioner out
I don't see reason to check tdc with the tensioner out because with the shaved head & thin gasket it's the tensioner that throws the tdc out.
Please let me know if anyone has encountered this before. :?
SORRY FOR THE LONG STORY.

FORD EL 4.0L. Crow cam, T.I Performance J3 Chip, Vernier cam gear, SPR ported head, 68mm TB, AU head gasket + ARP studs, AU injectors, Pacey 4480, High flow cat, Shift kit, Stallie, 3:73 TrueTrac.

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

yes mine has a slightly shaved head and AU gasket, new timing kit and the cam gear mark sits roughly 5mm above the head at piston TDC

Went and bought a vernier gear and adjusted many ways with many different cams and found the lift is about right where it is and the cam gear mark position is irrelevant when certain things throw out the mark

All cams 'should' be dialed in, but ive found the Wade cams are usually ground very close and as long as no.6 valves are "on the rock" when piston no.1 is at TDC then its pretty close to dialled in.

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

I had the same problem when I installed my 1636 cam & shaved head. After putting in a new timing chain & guides, I found the vernier gear TDC mark was out by 4 degrees. It ran a bit crappy till I got a mechanic to dial in the cam before he put it on the dyno. It was much better when he advanced the distributor while on the dyno.

With a thinner head gasket and shaved head, the distance between the top and bottom sprockets is reduced which in turn throws out the location of the TDC mark. So, yes I agree aligning the TDC mark exactly is not important when a vernier gear is used to fine tune the cam timing.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

the TDC mark will not be affected by shaving the head..

d the tdc mark is on the crank....are u taking about the mark on the cam gear

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:09 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Yes the mark on the cam gear.
I just put the cam gear on 0 (tdc). I will take the car for a drive to see how it goe's.

FORD EL 4.0L. Crow cam, T.I Performance J3 Chip, Vernier cam gear, SPR ported head, 68mm TB, AU head gasket + ARP studs, AU injectors, Pacey 4480, High flow cat, Shift kit, Stallie, 3:73 TrueTrac.

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Ok, I bit the bullet & started to experiment.
I put the cam gear on 3 differant positions (1 line ret. tdc & 1 line adv.)
Found tdc was the best & smoother at idle.
FordFairmont was right. I advanced my timming to 24-26 total. I found with the power is that it's wider power band than just on/off.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]