Fordmods Logo

CAM vs CAM for Tickford 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: CAM vs CAM for Tickford
Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:00 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EA Falcon

ACT, Australia

So Ive been looking on ebay at a cam for my Tickford that describes itself as a 219/219.

This doesnt actually mean anything to me as I have no experience with cams rated like this.
Years ago I had a cam that was a 39/71, and it was a decent size.

Does anyone know how to relate first rating with second rating?
Or could anyone describe the 219/219 compared to a 977B cam?
Does anyone know what size the CVE stage 1 cam is? (there are only two stages)

I had been sold on the CVE cam, but for days now no call back and no answer on the phone and no reply to email, so that idea is gone.

What I really want is a cam that quarter miles well.
Cheers

Post subject: Re: CAM vs CAM for Tickford
Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

I would be guessing, but that looks like the degrees int/exh duration at .050" lift. If that's correct, it is marginally hotter than the Wade 1521a (217/217) and quite a bit hotter than the 977b (206/206). As that would be hotter than any Wade grind, it would be at home on the dragstrip with a manual or maybe high-stalled auto, and not so much on the street.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:03 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EA Falcon

ACT, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
I would be guessing, but that looks like the degrees int/exh duration at .050" lift. If that's correct, it is marginally hotter than the Wade 1521a (217/217) and quite a bit hotter than the 977b (206/206). As that would be hotter than any Wade grind, it would be at home on the dragstrip with a manual or maybe high-stalled auto, and not so much on the street.

Thanks mate, this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. With the Wade 1521a, is it mandatory to increase the compression, or just highly recommended to maximise performance?
There is no mention of this on the ebay ad and only "needs extractors" "needs ECU work" etc I assumed it wasn't that large. Glad I asked.

I had anticipated using the AU MLS gasket, -30 thou off the head, dual valve springs and not much else other than a J3 tune.

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

The longer the duration, the lower the actual compression, so you can and should increase the mechanical compression ratio to compensate - it's highly recommended but not mandatory.

If the duration is 219/219, you will NEED a J3 chip to get it to idle, according to the cam makers. And the fuelling and ignition timing will be way out, so the J3 can fix that too. You will also need uprated valve springs.

Headers should be mandatory on ANY Falcon six, regardless of other mods. The gains are significant, and there are no downsides. Headers and a cat delete took a full second off the 0-100 of my AU2 XR6.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]