Fordmods Logo

Cams Again! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Cams Again!
Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:36 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Futura

WA, Australia

I've read through all the cam info here as currently there is alot. Im interested in buying a Crow Cam for my EF. Its just hit 200kms and Ill b buying a new car in a year or so so Im willing to do the cam and thrash it around a bit.

Im looking at the 2222519(Mild) or the 2222543(Pro) but Im not sure which one to get let alone what else I need to get the maximum benifit our of my Cam. Everything else has been done to the car except the cam atm, Intake, Exhaust, Extractors ect. I know that with the 2222543(Pro) you need new valve springs and a new chip but Im not sure were to get them from or what types to get... Im also unsure wether its wise to go for the 2222543(Pro) Cam with 200kms on the clock... Maybe just settle for the Mild Cam?

I also hear alot about Vernier cam gear and high Stalls but have no idea what they are and if I should have them or not...

Any help would be much appreciated! I know thats alot of questions but I really need to know some more info before I lash out and just buy one.

Lol... Thx for the read and look forward to ANY replies!

EF Futura :: K&N 3.5" Intake :: Pacemaker Comp Extractors + Hi-Flow Cat :: 2.5 Lukey Cat Back ::

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:21 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 26 images

Ride: 2003 BA XR6 TURBO!!!!!

VIC, Australia

well first off, personally id try the 2519.
ive got one atm, and i can say that it doesnt do wonders for your idle, so i cant imagine how the 2543 would be.

with the 2519, i would suggest minimum of new springs and vernier gear.
vernier gear allows you to change the timing of the cam without having to jump teeth at a time.
without vernier gear, you will not get the best out of the cam as you cant dial it in to where you want.
as for chip, i have a unichip, but it hasnt been tuned for years so its doing stuff all, but ive heard you can easily get over 10rwkw gains from a good tuner.

200k shouldnt be an issue depending on how well the cars been looked after.
does she blow any smoke/use any oil/ leak any fluids?

a high stall is like having an automatic clutch on an auto. it allows the car to rev higher before the torque converter transfers the power to the wheels, meaning less lag off the line.

if your planning on staying auto and want good performance, id be going for a 2500 or 3000 stally (meaning the car will rev to 2500, or 3000 before transferring ALL power to the wheels.
another worthwile mod for an auto is changing your diff ratio to either 3.9's or 4.1's.

before going to those extremes though, a good set of extractors is going to be essential to gain the most out of any engine mod.

hope that helps a bit.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]