Fordmods Logo

Can anyone tell me the JMM DEV5 cam specs? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Can anyone tell me the JMM DEV5 cam specs?
Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

I bought a used DEV5 top end package but it came with no info on the cam specs. Can anyone help?

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Post subject: Re: Can anyone tell me the JMM DEV5 cam specs?
Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Your best bet would be to try and track down a number for them (are they still running a workshop? ) and just call and ask. You might want to specifically ask for Brendan - I've only ever dealt with Brendan but have heard Jim can be a bit cranky... Chances are Brendan might be cagey, but maybe you can get him to indicate whether Dev5 is roughly equivalent to which Wade cam in performance terms.

You're probably aware of the controversy about JMM stuff - and I've read the Autospeed article where the JMM cam they fitted (I think to an Ef or EL stationwagon) was a dud no matter what they did with it.

I have a JMM cam - but not a Dev as such - equivalent to Dev 4 or maybe even Dev 3 HL (takes 3.4mm shims in addition to the factory 1.9mm) - which goes really really well - especially now i have a good Ti Performance J3 tune. So there are good JMM stories as well as bad.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

pretty sure jmm have closed doors. so might have trouble getting hold of them

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

and IIRC the dev 5 was pretty close to the 1521a

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

I have the adjustable cam gear currently set at zero. What is the best setting for these?

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

specified lift at TDC. the setting on the gear can be different for each car.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Yeah, you really only use those marks to try variation either side once you have it set.

To set the cam timing for a JMM cam you use the amount of lift at No. 1 inlet valve at TDC.

You'll need to use a dial indicator - and you'll be taking a reading as the indicator shaft extends to follow the rocker DOWN as the cam lobe lifts the other end.

You need to read the difference in position of the top of No.1 Inlet Rocker (in line with the valve stem - ie. indicator touching immediately in front of or behind the hole in relation to the front of the engine and perpendicular to the rocker) between the cam lobe base (zero position) and it's lobe lift.

Brendan instructed me to take the reading AS the crank is pulled smoothly thru TDC from at least a half crank rotation before TDC - that's to be as accurate compared to running as possible - ie. take up chain slack etc.

My specification is 0.039" of rocker movement (valve lift) at TDC - and I indeed do get best overall performance at EXACTLY that setting - even a few thou each way and I lose noticeably either in top or bottom end - tho there's less loss in bottom if it's a tad late - along with SLIGHT improvement in the top vs lots of loss in the top with very little gain in the bottom if it's advanced. Like I say, for my cam the spec is exactly right.

With any luck someone will post the Dev 5 spec (maybe all JMM cams are 0.039" ? ).

- if you stop at DTC you'll see the reading gradually change as the valves and rockers leverage back thru the cam lobes. I always wonder if the guys who did that Autospeed stationwagon just pulled it to TDC and then waited for it to "settle".... = FAIL!

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: AU XR6

Power: 171 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Don't know what the specs are but I've got mine at -4 on the gear(second mark). Took a little bit from the top end but fattened up the bottom/mid range.

9/98 AU1 XR6hp-about to retire from the road and be reborn on the race track.
86 ZL mint grandpa spec with premo sound and 150000km
07 TTG 60000km stock as, mods to come.
97 el futura about to be MOCKed

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]