Fordmods Logo

can i use AU wiring/relays/fuses(?) with my EL thermofans? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: can i use AU wiring/relays/fuses(?) with my EL thermofans?
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

Can i use AU wiring/relays/fuses with my EL thermofans?

I was supposed to get the wiring and relays (fuses too?) with my EL thermofans, but i did not. They tell me they don't do pre-AU falcons anymore, but can give me the stuff from an AU if i want.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:29 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 86 FE LTD Long,Black&Low

QLD, Australia

This is all a bit vague but from what i can remember the E series had 2 fans, 1 came on auto with the a/c and 2 was temp sensored and cam on when engine temp was too high.
Au fans however also have 2 fans 1 comes on with a/c and 2 comes on with engine temp but is variable speed and can be adjusted in revs by the ecu to control airflow thru the radiator.
So my guess would be NO as the controller would be sending different voltages thru the wire to change speed but this would burn out a non variable fan eventually, but, i am trying to work out how an after market fan controller would replicate this so i am going to say that they would just skip this option opting for the older setup but maybe with just different plug ends or something to the E series.
So my guess would be a MAYBE now :)

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

n00bus m@x1mus wrote:
This is all a bit vague but from what i can remember the E series had 2 fans, 1 came on auto with the a/c and 2 was temp sensored and cam on when engine temp was too high.
Au fans however also have 2 fans 1 comes on with a/c and 2 comes on with engine temp but is variable speed and can be adjusted in revs by the ecu to control airflow thru the radiator.
So my guess would be NO as the controller would be sending different voltages thru the wire to change speed but this would burn out a non variable fan eventually, but, i am trying to work out how an after market fan controller would replicate this so i am going to say that they would just skip this option opting for the older setup but maybe with just different plug ends or something to the E series.
So my guess would be a MAYBE now :)

Okay, thanks. It's a bit out of my league, so i'll just have to take advice given.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

just use a davis craig wiring setup twin fan thermatic/single fan condensor and have the fan closest to aircon pump come on at a/c and both cut in when your engine gets to normal temperature or

you can custom make your own wiring harness and use vz holden thermo fan wiring and wire low speed for ac and high speed when engine reaches temperature, should wbe the same as the davis craig diagram above but instead of one fan on high speed for ac and 2 fans on high speed when engine reaches temperature.

use a t peice and split the temperature sensor into 2 outlets so you can put in a tridon sensor and put a colder thermostat in while your there too

the vz diagram will turn both fans on at low speed for ac and then both on at high speed when engine reahces temperature.

or if you want to you can get a ef/el service manual and make your own wiring harness to suit that model with the aircon wire change if you want to

just see how you go for a while but cant gaurantee anything.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]