Fordmods Logo

Car dies when cold 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Car dies when cold
Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 EL Falcon - Last of the EL's

NSW, Australia

The car runs good when it is warmed up, but when it is cold and you try to drive away it will fell like its about to stall. You can start it when cold, and it will be fine. However, once you start trying to drive it will cough and splutter and sound all wrong until you get up to at least 10kph and then it will be fine. i usually try to warm the car up for about 10 minutes before i drive anywhere in the morning, however sometimes i just can't avoid a cold run (sad i know)

anyway, i have just given the car a full service including plugs, leads, all filters inc fuel filter which seems to have soften the whole "i hate the cold" thing that its doing now but in no real way has it gotten rid of it.

im running low on ideas on what i could be, could it be that the timing is out, i know the EL's don't set there own timing like the EF's do?

i don't hear any hissing noises from under the bonnet, so im not sure if it could be a vacuum leak.

is there any sensors that could be the problem that i should maby look at replacing?

any help would be great 8-)

why are women like clouds? eventually they f**k off and its a really nice day.

telling the truth is just lack of imagination

Post subject: Re: Car dies when cold
Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

I'm 90% sure that it's clogged/dirty injectors.

My car did it, got new injectors, hey presto, didn't do it anymore!

EL Ghia

Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

TyLeR3397 wrote:
I'm 90% sure that it's clogged/dirty injectors.

My car did it, got new injectors, hey presto, didn't do it anymore!

hmm, maby i'll give it a big gut load of injector cleaner at the next fill up see if that helps.

interesting :)

Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

That will only do about 1/5 of the job, you may notice it get a tiny bit better but the only real option is to get your injectors properly cleaned or install some new ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK6yzl3jtJQ
This was my car after I ran injector cleaner, it improved a little bit but it still coughed like hell as soon as I touched the accelerator pedal.

EL Ghia

Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

TyLeR3397 wrote:
That will only do about 1/5 of the job, you may notice it get a tiny bit better but the only real option is to get your injectors properly cleaned or install some new ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK6yzl3jtJQ
This was my car after I ran injector cleaner, it improved a little bit but it still coughed like hell as soon as I touched the accelerator pedal.

yep that exactly what mine does, winter seems to amplify the effect, i didn't notice it as much during summer.

Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

My car used to do it until I fitted cleaned au injectors

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

*update*

it was the injectors, i had them changed to new ones (generics - i couldn't afford $700 on genuine Bosch injectors) that eliminated 99% of the problem, it still bogs down for almost a split second while cold, and starting the engine has seemed to have been "modified" it use to start like a typical EL (6 cranks and fires up) now it only takes one hmmm

im sure after i drive it along the h'way for a while it should sort these problems out, if not look forward to another 'Help me' thread lol

if anyone has any thoughts on why it suddenly decided to fire up on one crank after new injectors have been fitted plz let me know

BTW, even with these above annoyances it was totally worth it, it feels like a whole new car! (idles so smoothly you think it has stalled lol)

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

After I cleaned my injectors is started first crank for about 5 months, now it's about 2nd to third. You'll probably find that the usual all other falcon way of starting is the same reason as yours used to start like it.
My eb hesitates for a moment on cold drive around 2250rpm, only started this after cam and chip install and since it's manual If I have to drive it cold I'll avoid going over 2k.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

GTFORDMAN wrote:
*update*

it was the injectors, i had them changed to new ones (generics - i couldn't afford $700 on genuine Bosch injectors) that eliminated 99% of the problem, it still bogs down for almost a split second while cold, and starting the engine has seemed to have been "modified" it use to start like a typical EL (6 cranks and fires up) now it only takes one hmmm

im sure after i drive it along the h'way for a while it should sort these problems out, if not look forward to another 'Help me' thread lol

if anyone has any thoughts on why it suddenly decided to fire up on one crank after new injectors have been fitted plz let me know

BTW, even with these above annoyances it was totally worth it, it feels like a whole new car! (idles so smoothly you think it has stalled lol)

fuel and spark go hand in hand, id be doing plugs and leads as well....

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

FAST-XR wrote:
GTFORDMAN wrote:
*update*

fuel and spark go hand in hand, id be doing plugs and leads as well....

plugs and leads aswell as the fuel filter were all done before i did the injectors, all sorted now after i drove it for a bit, it starts as it should and drives as it should and its back to whisper quiet idling 8-)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]