car has died in the a** 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:44 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Tow it to your mechanic ASAP ! DONT DRIVE IT ! you may have a few broken head bolts thus letting the compression out to the water galerys ( cooling system) and vice verser ! CHECK to see if there is water in the oil ( it will look like chocolate ) , Take it to a Mech ON A TOW TRUCK other wise if u drive it you will paying more for the repairs............

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

The oil is fine, checked it b4, normal color, not milky white or chocolaty. A mechanic is comin to look at it tomorrow, he seems to think the radiator is blocked which overheated the car and in the process fried the coilpack (thus it not starting any more) (because of the position of the coil he reckons once the car heats up to much they s**t emselves). Im hopin thats all it is cause i dont imagine a coil being overly expensive.

Someone mentioned b4 about the overheat protecion cutting off cylinders. Would this cause the whole car to shake on idle at bout 200-400 rpm if it was only firing on say 3 cylinders?

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

[quote="mrnasty"]Im hopin thats all it is cause i dont imagine a coil being overly expensive.
quote]

hehe a new one aint cheap

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Chicken wrote:
EBXR8380 wrote:
Was there a knocking noise when started? Did it seem to have tighter compression on some cylinders than others while cranking on starter? If so you MAY have blown head gasget and some coolant has leaked into a few cylinders? Check tale pipe for steam? Then under oil cap, if there is any sign of milky apperance then it a blown h/g..When engines are hot like this it pays to leave them to cool down or atleast run water over radiator to cool whatever is inside..Then leave 20 min or so..DON'T take cap off when hot !!!!
Take plugs out and crank over, see if any water gets blown out?Be VERY carefull trying to start in morning!!! You could bend a rod with hydro lock up!! As you know water doesn't compress !!

I wouldn't try starting it at all. If you haven't warped the head yet, you could. You're best of trying to save yourself the hundreds of dollars a warped head takes to fix.

I said take plugs out first! That way you won't get any hydraulic lock...
Coil packs are quite expensive, from memory around $300..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF waggin - gli/XR/ghia

NSW, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
Chicken wrote:
EBXR8380 wrote:
Was there a knocking noise when started? Did it seem to have tighter compression on some cylinders than others while cranking on starter? If so you MAY have blown head gasget and some coolant has leaked into a few cylinders? Check tale pipe for steam? Then under oil cap, if there is any sign of milky apperance then it a blown h/g..When engines are hot like this it pays to leave them to cool down or atleast run water over radiator to cool whatever is inside..Then leave 20 min or so..DON'T take cap off when hot !!!!
Take plugs out and crank over, see if any water gets blown out?Be VERY carefull trying to start in morning!!! You could bend a rod with hydro lock up!! As you know water doesn't compress !!

I wouldn't try starting it at all. If you haven't warped the head yet, you could. You're best of trying to save yourself the hundreds of dollars a warped head takes to fix.

I said take plugs out first! That way you won't get any hydraulic lock...
Coil packs are quite expensive, from memory around $300..

It's just that you said "be very careful trying to start in morning". I didn't want him to think you were suggesting he drove it to work.

Red goes faster, and chicks drive better

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:35 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

yer man it sounds like you cracked your head, im with chicken dont go starting it in the morning coz you will warp your head if you havent already.

e6

looking for a decent 351 and wondering how im gonna get it set up in my AU????

Post subject: Cooked...Hope not...
Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yes exactly I'd check thermostate [sp] also.
Naturally when it gets going take it EASY and check gauges for next few short trips...
If car has just been bought I'd almost guarantee this is the reason why previous owner sold it! So one small problem leads into others..Could have a split header tank or hose etc..For safety though I'd get radiator cleaned and serviced..Often also when engines get hot the head bolts loose there tension and latter coolant leaks from headgasget, usually behind exhaust manifold...I guess $$$ is an issue so take it easy keep an eye on things...Cooking an engine can stuff the whole block..But six's are "very" durable...
Yep I'd say the eec v has saved major troubles...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2