car has died in the a** 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: car has died in the a**
Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

gday,

driving my car *EF 4 litre auto* up the freeway today and it started getting really hot, the temp gauge went right up so i backed off,

gauge dropped back down to half, then back up, then down again, anyhow got to my destination, and it stalled :evil:

Anyhow popped the bonnet, could smell a burning smell, engine was hot as a mahfuga, took the cap off the coolent resovoir and it was fine for a minute or two then coolent backflowed through the pipework and spewed out the top of the resovoir, but thats not all. After that i start hearing a knocking/tapping sound coming from the radiator, plenty of em.

After that the sounds stopped, car started on the second shot, thought all was ok for the minute, tried to start it later on once the engine had cooled and it starts but sits on bout 250-400 rpm and the whole car shakes, engine stutters and generally dies in the a** after bout 20 seconds. Continually doing this now.

Sorry for the long post but i have no idea whats wrong with it, can anyone possibly help me out?? All i can think of is a blocked radiator or worse a completely maggoted radiator.

Cheers, Luke.

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Last edited by mrnasty on Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:28 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

the blocked rad wont make the car stall

also it is normal for water to gush out of the resevoir once you have taken the cap off as u have released the pressure and the water has expanded, NOT a good idea to take the rad cap off a hot engine

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

but if the radiator is blocked up and not working properly the car is going to get really hot yeah? I was under the impression that when a car gets extremely hot it dies/stalls

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:34 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Ride: BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

when i got my cooling done. the guy asked me if my temp gauge was all over the place, and he said that would be a sign that it was a dodgy thermostat. but, doubt that would make the car stall.

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

blocked radiator will make the car stall then it wont start again if its to hot, i know this from personal experience, its very possible that the radiator tanks are clogged have the radiator checked out

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Sounds like it was very low on water and cooked its self. Whats the oil and water look like?

It took the water awhile to come out due to the fact that there was bugger all water in it.

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Dude, I think you may have cracked your head when it overheated, and then cooled down quicky!

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF waggin - gli/XR/ghia

NSW, Australia

I think Voxace may be right.

Get it towed to your mechanic, and don't try starting it - you'll do more damage.

Next time your guage shows red-hot: pull over! lol

Red goes faster, and chicks drive better

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Was there a knocking noise when started? Did it seem to have tighter compression on some cylinders than others while cranking on starter? If so you MAY have blown head gasget and some coolant has leaked into a few cylinders? Check tale pipe for steam? Then under oil cap, if there is any sign of milky apperance then it a blown h/g..When engines are hot like this it pays to leave them to cool down or atleast run water over radiator to cool whatever is inside..Then leave 20 min or so..DON'T take cap off when hot !!!!
Take plugs out and crank over, see if any water gets blown out?Be VERY carefull trying to start in morning!!! You could bend a rod with hydro lock up!! As you know water doesn't compress !!

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF waggin - gli/XR/ghia

NSW, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
Was there a knocking noise when started? Did it seem to have tighter compression on some cylinders than others while cranking on starter? If so you MAY have blown head gasget and some coolant has leaked into a few cylinders? Check tale pipe for steam? Then under oil cap, if there is any sign of milky apperance then it a blown h/g..When engines are hot like this it pays to leave them to cool down or atleast run water over radiator to cool whatever is inside..Then leave 20 min or so..DON'T take cap off when hot !!!!
Take plugs out and crank over, see if any water gets blown out?Be VERY carefull trying to start in morning!!! You could bend a rod with hydro lock up!! As you know water doesn't compress !!

I wouldn't try starting it at all. If you haven't warped the head yet, you could. You're best of trying to save yourself the hundreds of dollars a warped head takes to fix.

Red goes faster, and chicks drive better

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hmm E.F ???
What model came out with that anti over heat system / protection where cylinders drop out to prevent damage....
I thought it was E.F on on 6's...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

Yeah they like to drop cylinders for all sorts of reasons, a mate of mine only gives his EF a service once a year, and doesnt even put water & oil in it between. Im stuffed if I know how he gets away with it however it has only recently stuffed the auto. Any way, his car would drop cylinders when it got too far over the service limit, thats how he guaged when he needed to get it serviced, and he wonders why ford charge him over $1000 each time :roll:
Bit barbaric hey???

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

f**k.

ive only had the thing a week and this happens. f**k cars. :evil:

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:36 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Ride: BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

a week? lol, i had mine no mroe than 3 hrs and it was on the back of a tow truck...count urself lucky...

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 92 EB I

VIC, Australia

Hey've I've got a similar experience actually, this morning the car stalled after the car travelled about 1 km from home and the temp gauge shot up real high. In the middle of a turn, lost power steering and nearly crashed into another car. I got home, and the car took about 5 litres of water to get it to normal levels, we'll wait and see if it had done any damamge and I knew I was stuffing the car even more by diving it even though it was really hot, I had to go to a 3 hr uni exam, we'll see what happens..

It's a pleasure to be soaring with the Falcons...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next