Fordmods Logo

Car has lost/used coolant? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Car has lost/used coolant?
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

I noticed yesterday when changing the drive belt on my EL futura that the coolant level has dropped somewhat. I did a coolant flush a couple of months back and do remember that I over filled the coolant bottle a bit past the max line. The car has never gone through any coolant/water before so I am wondering if it's possible that because I over filled it that when the engine has gotten hot it has just pushed some fluid out of an overflow? (enough to be half way between the minimum and maximum markings on the coolant bottle)

The car does not run very hot at all and I can't seem to notice it leaking coolant anywhere (had the car up on a hoist last night and looked)

The car has 121,000km on it if that helps.

Thanks for you help!

Shano.

Post subject: Re: Car has lost/used coolant?
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

Shano.T wrote:
I noticed yesterday when changing the drive belt on my EL futura that the coolant level has dropped somewhat. I did a coolant flush a couple of months back and do remember that I over filled the coolant bottle a bit past the max line. The car has never gone through any coolant/water before so I am wondering if it's possible that because I over filled it that when the engine has gotten hot it has just pushed some fluid out of an overflow? (enough to be half way between the minimum and maximum markings on the coolant bottle)

The car does not run very hot at all and I can't seem to notice it leaking coolant anywhere (had the car up on a hoist last night and looked)

Thanks for you help!

Shano.

mmmmmm,both 1 the air inside from the flush,can take time to bleed,2 expansion out the over flow,if over filled.should be ok

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

hans hartman wrote:
Shano.T wrote:

Thanks for you help!

Shano.

mmmmmm,both 1 the air inside from the flush,can take time to bleed,2 expansion out the over flow,if over filled.should be ok

Thanks for your suggestion mate, I didn't even take into account air from the flush, that would explain alot though as I was very thorough with flushing out the radiator and as much as I could of what was in the engine.

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

have run the heater after the flush?did you flush the heater core as well,both ways?

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

Double check for water leaks to be sure, waterpump, steel pipe from waterpump and pipe from thermostat housing, drain bung on radiator, any hose you had off, check the heater core from inside in case you damaged it removing the hoses.
falcons usually bleed perfectly (unless you don't know what you're doing) because of the headder tank location.

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I have run the heater numerous times since the flush and did flush out the heater core properly, I'll double check for any leaks and just keep an eye on the level. thanks for your help fellas!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]