Fordmods Logo

Car WILL NOT START!!!!!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Car WILL NOT START!!!!!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=

I am at my wits end posted a anger for sale post!!!! i can not start the car at all it just f**k acts like as if you left your AUTO in Drive and turned the key nothing what so f**k ever................ look on the mods and found utter crap now i understand what walker and the others go on about (i suppose i not utterly not guilty) same old s**t about manual conversions and all that stuff

my drama is i have my 3.9 Auto ECU and i never got a Manual Loom... but reading various stuff people say use the auto and auto loom etc etc

this is what i have done..... i got the round plug and spquare 7 pin plug and dismantled them now i have one plug the square one i have cut the end of it and made it into two plugs, One for the Nuetral Switch (i'll be f**k why a manual box has a nuetral switch) and one for the reverse switch.... i know i did this correctly because i have reverse lights i assume if i f**k it up i would have sweet f**k all........

I am sure this would of happend to people cause i am sure it would be a common thing. People talk about shorting the inhibtor switch and i have also read the old "ford-tech" version.......... http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=
I says about the loom and so fourth and that but near the end it says something about cutting the orange and black wires below the no. 86 pin and earth it or s**t.........

Any way i need a hand as i have a BAD BAD temper and the more things i try the more sad and crazyly angry i get
Cheers

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Last edited by Froudey on Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: ??
Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1990 EA Spac

NSW, Australia

OK a few things to try. Use a screwdriver to short the terminals on the starter solenoid to see if the starter motor actually turns the motor.
If ok then get a peice of wire and run it from the battery + to the small terminal on the starter solenoid. If the starter engages then you have to look back further. Turn the ign on and have someone under the bonnet listen to see if they can hear a relay click when you turn the key to start position.
If yes you might have a blown fuse if no then the relay may be faulty or the circuit is not made due to the circuit going through the switch that was on the auto box. If thats the case you will have to short the 2 wires needed to make the circuit. Now really you need someone who has some electrical background and a multimeter......you also need someone with a calm head and not loosing thier temper because you will make mistakes and overlook simple things. You will also need a circuit of the starter circuit. If you cannot get one PM me and give me an email address and I will send you one, also letme know what car you have ,I think its an EB.
See how you go and keep cool, it will all come out in the wash and I bet its something very simple.
Hope this helps.

Drive safe, arrive alive

EA Spak EL dash and interior, thermo's,BBM, EF head and cam, superlows,

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 1989 300ZX Twin turbo Z32

QLD, Australia

hey mate,
i had the exact same problem with my eb when i converted it to manual. my problem ended up being that my neutral switch was stuffed. when connected the car would think i was in gear even if i was in neutral and therefore wont start just like an auto in drive. just disconnect the neutral swtich and bridge the wires. give that a shot. sounds simple but it could be your problem like it was for me

Sold my EB :(
Now got my 300zx :)

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Froudey, take a deep breath. Now by reading that, I think the orange/black from the starter relay would usually go to the auto inhibitor switch. By cutting the wires and earthing them (the ones still coming out of the relay) you will bypass the inhibitor switch, so as soon as your engine is started, the relay coil will energise and start the engine.

So do exactly that.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

falconea said:
Quote:
If yes you might have a blown fuse

What Fuse?? Cheers

bluecube said:
Quote:
just disconnect the neutral swtich and bridge the wires. give that a shot.

By bridgeing do you mean just connecting them or twist the wires together if that is what you mean, nope tried that....

I have even tried the resistor trick used on ef/el and i have also plugged the round plug in and twisted the two wires together that would connect to the Auto Inhibitor Switch

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

by bridging i meant just connect them together.

have you tried actually manually bridging the starter relay? coz if that works then you know that its just a wiring problem.

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

bluecube wrote:
by bridging i meant just connect them together.

have you tried actually manually bridging the starter relay? coz if that works then you know that its just a wiring problem.

what ya mean bridging the starter relay.... i just went out and snipped them orange and black wires and earthed them as that old guide says sweet f**k all....... i have no idea what can be wrong.... as far as i know i got the loom wiring right (by voxaces standard any way) the only thing i can think of is taking out my dad's manual ecu of his ea and trying it and if that works i will have a f**k drama finding a manual ecu for a nonsmartlock falcon.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Froudey, What people are trying to say is to try and remote start the engine.

Exactly what to do:

Locate the starter relay under the relay box cover (which should be next to the coolant reserve tank). pull out the starter relay. Get a piece of wire. Connect one end of the wire to terminal 30 and the other end of the wire to terminal 87. PS: make sure the transmission is in neutral when you do this.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

yep do wot smiley says. just remember that if u want to actually start the car then you gotta turn the key to the ON position so the fuel pump and s**t is on

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I must really find out how to do that sh_t with drawing on photo's

Drive safe, arrive alive

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:16 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

falconea wrote:
I must really find out how to do that sh_t with drawing on photo's

paint is your friend on that behalf :P

good luck with getting it started again Froudey...sorry but I'm no help =(

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

so if this works like kicks the starter what should i do? run some wires and get a push button to start the car in future??? i am home now not out my parents so i will have to write it down so i can do it on the weekend if

I want a permanet fix so with this i assume i pretty much delete the relay or is this a way to find if the starter is f**k or either the relay is f**k (the relay clicks as if it is trying to work)

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

If you have a multimeter, disconnect the small wire on the starter solenoid and put the meter on volts and one probe on the 12+ terminal of the battery and the other probe on the wire you disconnected. Get someone to try and start the car. Whilst they are holding the key in the start position you should see about 12Volts on the meter. If you do it suggests the solenoid is stuck or dead. If not then you will have to look further back in the start circuit.
I would strongly suggest that you find someone in your area that knows cars and electrics (usually there are some in the area) to give you a hand.
Put a post on the forum here and ask if there is anyone in your area that could give you a hand. A few beers as a reward is usually helpful in getting someones help.

Drive safe, arrive alive

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

if you find that when bridging the relay that the starter works. then it is normally one of 2 things:
1. Youve stuffed up the wiring somewhere for either the neutral switch or the inhibitor switch
2. started relay fuked (unlikely as they normally last forever) - if u think its this option then swap one of the headlight relays or something in the starter relay spot and check it.

now if the starter doesnt work then double check you've connected the starter motor properly (there are 2 wiring connectors - one bolts on and one plugs in). and if it still doesnt work then maybe your starter just died (once again unlikely to die for no reason).

good luck with it. persistence is the key. get ahold of a workshop manual for your car and check out the wiring diagrams. you've probably just missed one wire or connected the wrong one. thats all you'd need to do for it not to work. dont rely 100% on voxace's guide and when i did my eb the wires were completely different colors (voxace's guide was for an EF remember). THe best way is to look at the workshop manual and work out the wire colours etc from there - go buy one from supercheap for $30.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next