Fordmods Logo

car wont rev past 4500rpm after cam install 

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: car wont rev past 4500rpm after cam install
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Fairmont cross XR6

QLD, Australia

Dude theyre giving u a hard time. Believe in what i say . If youve got the timing mark a couple of mm above the tappet cover area on the passenger side of the head it will be close enough . The timing chain if it is over tight will wear the distributor drive shaft into the block as this has no bearing and runs directly in the block . SET THE CHAIN TENSIONER PROPERLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Double check the balancer hasnt moved u can rock the engine on TDC with a screwdriver in the plug hole CAREFULLY and pretty accurately pick TDC ,check mark on balancer. Valve springs shouldnt be a problem yet , oil pressure operates the lifter and if it hasnt increased then well. Cat could be old and blocking . Coil packs {if applicable} #uck up regularly every few years . i have my own engine recon.w/shop and over the yrs have seen all these things
There r other things to but for a quick back yard check these would be my first checks

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Proport wrote:
Dude theyre giving u a hard time. Believe in what i say . If youve got the timing mark a couple of mm above the tappet cover area on the passenger side of the head it will be close enough . The timing chain if it is over tight will wear the distributor drive shaft into the block as this has no bearing and runs directly in the block . SET THE CHAIN TENSIONER PROPERLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Double check the balancer hasnt moved u can rock the engine on TDC with a screwdriver in the plug hole CAREFULLY and pretty accurately pick TDC ,check mark on balancer. Valve springs shouldnt be a problem yet , oil pressure operates the lifter and if it hasnt increased then well. Cat could be old and blocking . Coil packs {if applicable} #uck up regularly every few years . i have my own engine recon.w/shop and over the yrs have seen all these things
There r other things to but for a quick back yard check these would be my first checks

G'day Al......haven't seen ya for a while....will have to drop in and see you. Keepin busy???

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Have you had the rocker cover off to check for damage? Could be possible broken springs, collapsed lifters,damaged cam lobe,rocker arm....Or it could be none of those but i would be checking because they are a possibilty.

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

at this stage i havent had a chance to double check under the rocker cover.
i will pull it off tonight and have a look as i wont need the car in the morning.
i hollowed the cat cause i thought it might be the cause - now the car just sounds s**t lol

Ill change the leads and the coil tomorrow cause i have some spares, i did change the rocker a**. as i had broken the tip of a rocker arm off on the old set (still ran perfect and didnt affect any alignment) so i might put the old one back in as well to see fi that helps.

i now have tools to do the tensioner, so will do that as well!
and may as well check the exhaust again for anything out of the ordinary.

if all else fails I'll put the stock cam back in and see what that does lol

really doesnt make sense >_<

but you say that oil pressure operates the lifter?
my car has been running at the bottom of the gauge for a while now for oil pressure, but its never had an issue, i just figured it was a faulty gauge/sensor, but could really low oil pressure be causing the issue?

could it be an issue with the ECU?

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ok, so i checked the tensioner, it actually wasnt putting enough tension on the chain, so i tighted it up and put tension on the right side as there was a bit of slack on the opposite side to the tensioner.

but when checking the cam timing, i noticed that when the timing mark on the cam gear is pointing up, the timing mark on the balancer is pointing down lol. is this right?

i also noticed that one of the rockers snapped the end off where it joins the lifter.
so ill swap that over tomorrow, and might have to head to the wreckers to pocket some new lifters (or is it LHAs?)

the car drives better, and revs bit better, but still lacks power in the top end and doesnt pull like it first did.

i didnt get a chance to swap the leads and coil, will give that a go tomorrow...

at least the car revs a bit better now! lol

XG Panelvan

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Good luck with that dude :?

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

misk_one wrote:
ok, so i checked the tensioner, it actually wasnt putting enough tension on the chain, so i tighted it up and put tension on the right side as there was a bit of slack on the opposite side to the tensioner.

but when checking the cam timing, i noticed that when the timing mark on the cam gear is pointing up, the timing mark on the balancer is pointing down lol. is this right?

i also noticed that one of the rockers snapped the end off where it joins the lifter.
so ill swap that over tomorrow, and might have to head to the wreckers to pocket some new lifters (or is it LHAs?)

the car drives better, and revs bit better, but still lacks power in the top end and doesnt pull like it first did.

i didnt get a chance to swap the leads and coil, will give that a go tomorrow...

at least the car revs a bit better now! lol

So you didn't read Proport's post then??????....about the cam timing.

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i did, but no harm in asking...
im obviously not sure wtf is going on, so im asking questions to try and cover all bases

i checked the tension and the timing last night quickly so i could report back here and get some more help - but thinking bout it now, i obvioulsy should have spun the engine to TDC to checked it properly, i was just in a hurry.

today i will check that the balancer hasnt moved and check everything at TDC

if the cam gear is facing straight up with the engine at TDC, should i move it along a few teeth to line it up correctly?

XG Panelvan

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

checked the cam timing and it looked to be about 3 teeth out of whack.
didnt seem right cause the car was running fine but then not, so unless its skipped a few teeth somehow then god knows whats happening.

i set the cam timing and changed the leads and attempted to extend the wires for the coil, but must have f**k it up cause the car now has no spark lol

will have to sort that out tomorrow.

XG Panelvan

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

With the cam timing, the little mark on the cam sprocket should be approx 3mm above the head where the rocker cover bolts on, when the engine No.1 is at TDC.

Attachments:
falcon-headgasket-5[1].jpg
falcon-headgasket-5[1].jpg [ 38.52 KiB | Viewed 1143 times ]
IMGP2445_resize.JPG
IMGP2445_resize.JPG [ 177.77 KiB | Viewed 133 times ]

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

this is what i had it sitting on after it was all tensioned.

the cam gear marker was pointing to say between 4 and 5 on a clock, rather than at 3 like it should be.

its just not getting spark cause i f**k up the wiring for the extended coil.
ill put it back to stock tomorrow and it should be fine.

no idea how it managed to be 3-4 teeth out of whack

XG Panelvan

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:19 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

hey cjh plenty on to much sometimes not sure who im talking to though :?:

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

well finally got the car running, now it has what sounds like a huge miss...
all plugs are getting spark, have tried driving it round the block to see if that sorted it out but no luck

checked the cam timing, checked the spark timing, checked all the lifters/rocker gear..

only thing i can think of is that the cam timing was right before and now its not - even though i set it by the book :/

im resetting the ECU now to see what that does, but doubt it will do anything

if i cant find the problem guess ill have to try setting the cam timing back to what it was lol

XG Panelvan

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

If its got a miss its probably only 1 or 2 cyls do a compression test youve probably got a bent valve from all the *ucking around. dodgy chain guides can make them skip a tooth ,has the timing case been off before , bottom guide might be in the sump . this will make it jump a tooth . If it revs now youve probably got the timing right dont change it and add to your problems

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

When I do the cam changes, just to save myself effort I do this:

1. Wire tie the chain to the sproket on both sides.
2. Prop bonnet up with broom stick on both sides.
3. Use thin wire to tie the sprocket to the bonnet near where the broom sticks are. Make it as tight as you can so it'll hold the sprocket at the same height it is when bolted to the cam.
4. remove rockers etc and unbolt sprocket from cam.
5. Swap cam and reverse the above steps.

cam sprocket never moves so no hassle with tensioner etc. Always worked for me.. might be going abit overboard in some cases, but better safe than sorry and it doesn't really take that long.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next