Car Wont turn over when its been running on a hot day 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Car Wont turn over when its been running on a hot day
Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: BA XT

VIC, Australia

Hey guys i have a strange and wierd problem, now that the hot weather is kickin in ive noticed this strange and annoying problem which is that when ive been out and about on a hot day and turned the car off and then gone off to do whatever and come back to start it you turn the key but nothing happens at all....
I had suspicions that s is was the sensor for the shifter that recognizes when the cars in P or N but this isnt the case (or i dont suspect it to be)

ive found that if i get in the car and just turn the car all the way to start this will sometimes work, whereas im used to waiting for the fuel pump to kick in before starting
But when i do it this way there is a split second delay between when i turn the key fully and when the engine cranks

i dont know what this problem could be but any help would be much appreciated

Regards

Ford Falcon BA XT 2003, Stock Engine, Factory Fitted LPG, Monroe GT Sports Shockers, King Coil Springs, Advanti Shine 19" 8x5 Rims, 2 1/2" Exhaust,DNA Fascia, Pioneer DEH-1350MPG Head Unit, Powervox 500watt 4 Channel Amp, Aerpro Hi/Lo Audio level converter, Pioneer 10" Sub Woofer

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 02 xls ute 347

SA, Australia

my car has the similar problem atm in teh hot weather it stalls on me and i go to start it again but it doesnt start till 2 minutes later i was thinkin its fuel pump but i chamnged the leads and the problem isnt as bad but im going to change the dizzy cap and rotor button hopefully that solves it because im pretty sure it does it because of teh electrics and the electrics are more affected in hot weather than hot

02 series 3 AU marline ute 5speed 347 stroker

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

im in the process of replacing the Leads atm the but accidently broke one last night and of course it was too late to go down the street to get another one so im waiting for lunch break at work so i can go get some... good thing i was able to borrow my sis` car.
I`d replace the dizzy cap but i dont have 1 i have coils in my car so that blows that idea.. but the coils where taken off and cleaned now more than 3 months ago so it cant be them. Um ive gotta get under the car tnight so i will be checking all the wires and earths and cleaning the contacts to see if that helps resolve the issue will post back with any updates

Ford Falcon BA XT 2003, Stock Engine, Factory Fitted LPG, Monroe GT Sports Shockers, King Coil Springs, Advanti Shine 19" 8x5 Rims, 2 1/2" Exhaust,DNA Fascia, Pioneer DEH-1350MPG Head Unit, Powervox 500watt 4 Channel Amp, Aerpro Hi/Lo Audio level converter, Pioneer 10" Sub Woofer

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: eb xr6

NSW, Australia

Does the car crank and wont fire or not crank at all but have lights on dash etc?

Could it be that the heat from the engine combined with the hot temperatures be heating the wires to a point were the resistance in the wires dosent allow enough amps/voltage to be drawn through the wires.

A mate of mine had a problem with his car and he replaced the baterry leads and the lead to starter with heavier guage stuff and problems went away. though a few other things were replaced so not tottaly sure if it was the cause.

XR 1992 161 RWKW 14 sec 1/4s

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:23 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Car doesnt crank at all. will try replaceing power leads but after i do my own diagnosis

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

What model car?

My EF started doing this about 6mths ago. My fix is to tap the underside of the steering column, around where your left knee is.
The body control module (BCM) is in there, and it is a known problem that these develop dry solder joints inside. A good tap makes the connection & away we go.
Perhaps this is your problem?

95 EF Wagon, Dedicated Gas

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 05 BA MKII XR8, 95 EF gli Wagon

NSW, Australia

i had a similar problem with me ef a while back. found that the battery was stuffed. it was getting too hot after driving around for a while especially on a hot day, so after i had done what ever i had to do and went to start the car again it had nothing to start the car. everything else worked ie lights. i replaced the battery and havent had the problem since.

bucko

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]