Fordmods Logo

Changing Clutch Cable on EF 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Changing Clutch Cable on EF
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:15 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: FALCON

WA, Australia

I am gona 2 change my clutch cable 2mora and was just wondering if any1 has done it b4, if so was it simple/hard, i have read up on it and it doesnt sound that hard?

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

Scotty did mine about 3 weeks ago and said it was a piece of piss. Before you check it, make sure your firewall isn't cracked around the cable hole. If your clutch is too stiff then thats where you're getting it from. You can get it welded back to okness at WA auto dismantlers.

So basically, clutch cable is easy...but firewall is hard.

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:26 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

My clutch is always stiff i got a heavy duty 1, but cheers 4 the tip i will check it 2moro is it much 2 get the firewall fixed??

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

ummm, heavy duty doesn't mean stiff.
I used to have a heavy duty and that meant f**k all, i realised that it was the firewall that was the problem. If it is, get that fixed before the clutch cable or you're wasting your time and you'll have to do it again in 3-4 months.

Check your firewall, if it is f**k you can get it welded for about $50 where i said before. That's for a cheap fix which is what i went for to see how long it lasts. If you want to fix the firewall permanantly, weld an 8mm steel plate to that spot. The T5s are good pedal boxes but this is their flaw.

Let me put it this way, I used to have a heavy duty clutch and now I have an even heavier one in there with everything fixed and its twice as light if not more. Heavy duty, doesn't mean heavier clutch pedal...well, not by much anyway.

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:48 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

also inspect the fork as well, that was the problem with one i fixed just recently....clutch was getting really hard and it was heavy duty also. already had the pedal box fixed and firewall welded up so i pulled the box out to change the clutch and found the fork had almost snapped in half!

replaced the clutch while i had it all out with an RPM heavy duty kit and it works a treat and really light on the pedal again.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

So basically, clutch cable should be the last of your worries.

next time you change the clutch (RPM series is good!), clean the shaft out of all clutch dust, check the fork, re-weld your firewall and then change the clutch cable.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

I have changed the fork already bout 6 months back cause it was nearly cracked through, and i have changed the cable was pretty easy and she's working sweet as now. checked my firewall and its all good.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

if it is stiff, and you have not changed the cable, then go change it right now!! that'll more than likely be your problem.

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:28 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

hey smackdown... what type of clutch you got in your car? and any good and how much?

EF XR8 - 5speed, Extractors & Exhaust

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I got an RPM series clutch, with the first option...very good and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Scotty got it from repco for me for $290, but they retail for about $450 i'm told.

The amount of grip in the clutch is awesome.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]