Fordmods Logo

Charger R/T E49's make our 6's seem crud 

Page 3 of 7 [ 93 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

exholden wrote:
I agree that the Hemi 6 was a damn good weapon, but for my money the best 6 that's been in an Aussie car is the RB30E in the VL Commodore.

Sorry mate, but no. There only quick when there turbo - never seen a quick NA 6 VL. The 265's were quick NA carby 6's!

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:03 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: buick

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
exholden wrote:
I agree that the Hemi 6 was a damn good weapon, but for my money the best 6 that's been in an Aussie car is the RB30E in the VL Commodore.

Sorry mate, but no. There only quick when there turbo - never seen a quick NA 6 VL. The 265's were quick NA carby 6's!

I think that the EA Spack 5 speed was the first family type N/A aussie 6 car to go quicker than a stock 265 with manual gear box.

ghiaman

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

ghiaman wrote:
I think that the EA Spack 5 speed was the first family type N/A aussie 6 car to go quicker than a stock 265 with manual gear box.

hows that? the 265's did 1/4 miles faster than wheels or motors (forget) quotes the Typhoon doing one, hows the EA Spack faster than them?

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:43 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

And they had s**t tyres back then too....

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
ghiaman wrote:

hows that? the 265's did 1/4 miles faster than wheels or motors (forget) quotes the Typhoon doing one, hows the EA Spack faster than them?

i think he may be talking about the garden variety 265, not the full house R/T Charger versions with all the extra bits....

Banned

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

Yeah if I didn't own a Ford I would own an Old School Chrysler anyday.
Check out this 1977 Chrysler CL Regal with the 5.2Litre V8 that me mate once owned. Probably one of the best Valaint Regals I have scene.

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:20 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: buick

VIC, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
ghiaman wrote:

i think he may be talking about the garden variety 265, not the full house R/T Charger versions with all the extra bits....

Yep the standed 2 barrel job with manual .

Hell no a R/T Pack would wipe the EA easy. We are talking about a 6 cyl car that came out in 1971. Very impressive to hold on to a title for so long.

ghiaman

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA ute, FG XR6T

NSW, Australia

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
Yeah if I didn't own a Ford I would own an Old School Chrysler anyday.
Check out this 1977 Chrysler CL Regal with the 5.2Litre V8 that me mate once owned. Probably one of the best Valaint Regals I have scene.

Those 318 wedge motors were an easy 300HP provided you opened the valves up to hemi-6 spec. Bottom ends were good to 6700rpm without rebuild. Chrysler were a real performance outfit in their day. My father still owns a '63 Pheonix TD2 with factory 318 Poly and push-button auto. Full unibody even back then.

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

Not sure if this is the E49 ... i am not sure on the model numbers, etc.
Saw this up at Newcastle a few months back

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

dang! that charger looks awesome!!!

I'm sticking by my claim, the RB30 block, with a RB26DETT head. It's got all the torque of a 3.0L down low, twin turbos, and will rev to 8000RPM.

Try 426 rw kW, and it doesn't rely on a motor that was in a tractor (Charger) or truck (Dodge Viper)

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

exholden wrote:

That's why I took the photo .. not often you see a very nice example on the road ... and hell ... i can tell you ... it sounds f**k awesome too.

I think the numberplate was BADNWS (BAD NEWS)
hee hee

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Hybrids don't count. If you want to play the game that way then:
5.4 Boss (just an evolution of the 4.6)
4.6 Modular
BA I6 (an evolution of the EA-AU 3.9/4.0)

And old school hybrids
302 BOSS
429 BOSS (pinched the head design off the chrysler 426 Hemi there)

Remember all of the above are factory hybrids. If nissan was on the ball why wasn't there a factory godzilla with a 3litre bottom end.

And what about modified Hybrids
1250hp from the Nizpro BA 4.0 litre.
It would s**t all over your VL godzilla.
More torque at less revs and a s**t more average torque all over the rev range. just wait till Nizpro fit that thing to a proper drag car and shut little s**t kickers like you up. And that thing is cheap too. Only 40 odd grand for that thing compared to over 100 odd grand for a JUN godzilla modified hybrid which would perform no where near as well as the old henry and be nowhere near as reliable. Most people don't like reving their cars to 10,000rpm+ just to get them to move. Only hard core import enthusiasts.

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

u really cant compare engines from then to know, there so many different facotrs the main one beeing emissions which is there first thing that is look at when building a motor.
yes the charger did make good power, but so do engines today, and they meet strick emissions and have good fuel econemy.
look at the bmw m3 csl 3.2lt na makes a nice 262kw. and has better fuel econmey a ba xt falcon

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

exholden wrote:

I'm sticking by my claim, the RB30 block, with a RB26DETT head. It's got all the torque of a 3.0L down low, twin turbos, and will rev to 8000RPM.

Try 426 rw kW, and it doesn't rely on a motor that was in a tractor (Charger) or truck (Dodge Viper)

i work in a performence workshop as a mechanic, %80 of our work is on nissans.
so it puts me in a good position to comment on this.

you are wrong. a stock RB30 bottom end WILL NOT spin to 8000rpm making 426rwkw and hold together for very long. the RB30 has bugger all torque anywhere in the rev range.

as for hybrids i'm building one now for a customer. RB30 block RB25 head.
it's not just a matter of slap it on and make some power. all you gain by doing it is a small amount of torque and you loose out in RPM because the RB30 has a very long stroke.

the R/T hemi 6 pac made that power and it made it all day long for years with a factory warrenty. a hybrid RB30/26 or RB30/25 make that power for a few years and needs a rebuild because it's over stressed. and none of them come with any sort of warrenty.

you want a good N/A nissan engine give me an L28 anyday, those things are one tough piece of engine.. a mate of mine had an RB30 in his hill climb car. he took it out and put an L28 in there and went faster

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

fordgt290 wrote:
u really cant compare engines from then to know, there so many different facotrs the main one beeing emissions which is there first thing that is look at when building a motor.
yes the charger did make good power, but so do engines today, and they meet strick emissions and have good fuel econemy.

Your right in that you can't directly compar ethem.
Ford's current XR6, which is it's most powerful puts out 186kws, the E49 puts out 225kws. The old technologies s**t all over the moder. Yes, I'm sure the XR6 is more economic and more emision greener.
The 25 year advantage that the BA XR6 has more than makes up for the fact that the engine has to be more emision wise.

From looking at the price of the old E49's, and current BA XR6, I'd say there pretty similar after inflation and what not. But M3's as you used as an example are in a higher price braket.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 7  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next