Check my list please. 

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Sorry to go against the grain, but I wonder if you're making a lot of unnecessary work for yourself.

I wouldn't be pulling the engine unless it's got a large amount of kms, and you intend to reco it, or put in a low km engine - to which I'd change welch plugs, seals etc, before putting it in.

Have you tried nipping up the sump bolts, degreasing the area, and seeing if your leaks go away ?? If your leaks are not major, maybe you're better off living with them for the time being. Have you confirmed where all these leaks are coming from ??

You can do most of what you've described, while you have the head off - welch plugs, pull exhaust and inlet manifolds out. Rear main and rear welch plug can be done with your manual conversion. I agree that's a good idea to replace all coolant hoses (particularly the under manifold hoses which are probably 10+ years old), very easy if the inlet manifold is out. All these things you aren't making needless extra work, as they are now very easy to do.
I'm all for preventative maintenance, but if your engine isn't giving you any major problems at the moment other than what you've described, maybe you're doing too much.

Hope I haven't contradicted myself here . . .

i can see where you are coming from here...

this was a few weeks away as im going away next week. the motor has done 143,000km.

perhaps i will give it a thorough degreasing and check all the bolts on the sump etc. and see how it goes. you believe at this stage the welch plugs shouldnt be in need of replacing??

if i was to give everything a good degreasing and make it clean and oil free would actually running along the outside of the sump gasket with a silicon sealant would this do any good or would the oil simply leak past this?

perhaps at this stage ill just plan to pull the head off and then asses the situation once the head is off and i can have better access to look around.?

Thanks.

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Gaz wrote:
perhaps i will give it a thorough degreasing and check all the bolts on the sump etc. and see how it goes.if i was to give everything a good degreasing and make it clean and oil free would actually running along the outside of the sump gasket with a silicon sealant would this do any good or would the oil simply leak past this?
I wouldn't bother with the silastic - won't do any good. Best thing is to nip up all the sump bolts (don't overtighten), and degrease, and check for leaks every few days. If it still leaks, obviously a new gasket is the go, but as I say, if they're not huge leaks, live with them.

Gaz wrote:
you believe at this stage the welch plugs shouldnt be in need of replacing??
At 143000kms, if the cooling system has been looked after, more than likely not - but while the head is off, you can pull the exhaust manifold/extractors, and replace them - at $3-$4 each, it's so cheap and easy, you'd be crazy not to. And again, you can pull the inlet manifold, and replace welch plugs/coolant hoses.

Ther rear main seal and rear welch plug can wait til the manual conversion.

Gaz wrote:
perhaps at this stage ill just plan to pull the head off and then asses the situation once the head is off and i can have better access to look around.?
Certainly agree with that.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Like mentioned, you might as well do the welsh plugs, but take care when fitting them, cause it can be a big pain in the a** once youve put everything back together and find a couple are leaking :oops:

Get a large socket onto them and try to hammer them in as straight as possible but not too far in. Trust me, the slightest angle of the plugs can cause them to leak.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Don't forget to use a sealing compound like stag or similar on the welsh plugs, before banging them in.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2