cms or wade 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: cms or wade
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF FAIRMONT GHIA 125kw

VIC, Australia

hi guys got an ef in progress..anyway ive done the basic mods so far..exhaust, intake.. and now im after a cam to go in it..im stuck in between the cms stage 3 or the wade 977b (yes i know there way different) lol..any i would like to make around 150kw after chip and tune.. what do you think you be a better choice..any ideas will be great cheers

OMG DOSE IT ULAY

Post subject: Re: cms or wade
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

both are good cams, both with the right mods will make +150kw (tuned)

id say the CMS 3 cam is bigger than the 977b, and needs headwork to make the most of it

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

would you personal take the cms stage 3 over the 977b..because im feeling to get the cms stage 3 as i believe it has a more even torque curve for 2200 to revlimiter if im right..and the 977b is torquey too but doesnt start pulling till about 3000 so you have to rev the guts out of it to get the same amount..please correct me if i wrong

OMG DOSE IT ULAY

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

nah think youve been fed wrong info

CMS stg3 is not exactly a baby cam ....... every cam has a power range, and that cam wont kick in for that duration. Find out what range that cams makes its power, and ignore people who tell you "man this cams kicks in when i turn the key all the way to the limiter". Like i mentioned though, the CMS3 cam makes its power in conjuction with headwork, and could possibly be a better cam than the 977b, you need to find out what you need to get it running right

2200rpm is what a stock cam works at, the bigger the cam the power range moves up further. The 977b ive found starts at 2800rpm, and dies just before the redline. The 1521a starts about 3200rpm and pulls hard to the redline.

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:06 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

afaik the cms 3 would be close and very similar to the wade 1521a. charicteristics and power range..
i had the cms3 for a short time and imo it started to make its power around the 3000rpm
both these cams will require heavier valve springs and more than likely need a j3 tune to get the best out of them..
i know the cms 3 is suited for manual or a high stall and does have a hairy idle.. usually needing the isc removed to help with idling..

i have the wade 977b equivallent to suit the au, (au1645) and is a nice cam with a good idle and power is from around 2800 to about 57-5800rpm and can run on std valve springs..

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ok thanks for the correction :oops: the 1512a is the biggest wade cam for a 4L right.
sorry to be a pain but do you think the cms stage 3 has more pertentional than the wade 977b with headwork and a good tune :P

OMG DOSE IT ULAY

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:46 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

its hard to compare, the best way would be to ask around and do a little thread reading to compare what guys are getting power wise with what headwork ect from both cams..
imo the wade 977b will be more idle friendly and maybe alittle less aggressive than the cms3..
but overall the power figgures would be similar depending on head work and tunning..
if your after a cam thats lopey and has a hairy idle, the cms 3 will give you that..

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

cheers mate

OMG DOSE IT ULAY

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

IamSteve wrote:
ok thanks for the correction :oops: the 1512a is the biggest wade cam for a 4L right.

Its the biggest off the shelf grind they do but I'm sure if you give them a call or send an email they might be able to conjure up something bigger.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]