Fordmods Logo

Cold air Intake. looks effective. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Cold air Intake. looks effective.
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Found this tech aritcle on the calais turbo vl site. Shows how to mount a cold air intake pipe.

I am going to attempt it on my EL fairmont, just going to use some 4-5in a/c ducting from hardware store.( rotary guy in brissy uses it on all his cold air setups). run it up behind the plastic fog light mold on bumper bar.

I hink my ABS module is up next to the brake booster, i have seen that on ED's it was right where i am going to drill the holesaw? EL's are different?

You can also see a perfect circle on the k&N filter where it has been sucking in the cold air.

Here are some pics>>

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 98 XH XR6

VIC, Australia

does it run under your tyre arch?

ONE FOR RUM AND RUM FOR ALL

4.0ltr 1998 XH XR6 - 2 JVC 4way 6X9's - 2 JVC 4way 4" in doors - JVC head unit - AU XR8 intake snorkel

Paceys, hi flow cat and many more still to come

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

There used to be a doco on doing this on ehre. 4- 5 inch is probably very oversized - especially if your going to keep your original intake snorkel (which I'd suggest you do).

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

just a tip.. don't run the pipe as far in to the box as the one in the pic.

as you can see from the pic of the filter most of the air flow has been through only the section of filter directly above the pipe.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

autospeed did this to an mid 90's magna they said it was an effective mod.

why do u write in here.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL - Fairmont

VIC, Australia

i had this exact same idea just yesterday, but i was wondering how effective it was and also if water or dust or something would get up there alot easier because of the position of the intake? anyone else tried this or know of it?

'97 EL Fairmont - 2.5" catback system, K&N Panel Filter, Redback Xtractors, NGK-R's, Eagle One 9mm Leads.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

VIC, Australia

my old car had a setup like this but it had bloody 5" piping! it was pretty good tho. i'd advise also put a net or something where the air enters the pipe. the guy who had the car before me put like a stocking over the end just to stop things gettin in

Past: 150rwkw 5spd EF Futura - 4499's, 2.5" exh, Intake, Filter, Wade 1636, Head and Valve Work, Raised Comp.

Present: 5spd AUIII XR6 VCT Ute - 4480's, 2.5" exh, Tickford Intake, Pod in Box.
coming soon: 3.9:1 diff, Flashtune.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

i got a air intake from the bumper to the front of the airbox.
its ok.
cold air inductions mods are all in ya head. dont do much on the street!

get an old headlight, gut it, mesh the front and attacth the tb hose to it! thats the best air intake mod!

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

I love how the air filter has a dirty hole shape on it from the CAI pipe. LMAO.

Probably should cut it off down lower in line with the bottom of the air box.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

Having the intake down low to the ground will probably pick up alot of road grime and gunk, having a re-washable filter would be a good investment.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:09 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

i installed this mod to a friends VN Commodore, his group A bar was just asking for an intake pipe.

one end to bumper and other to the pod-filter, absolutly no gain what so ever, maybe a tiny bit at highway speed. although it does look very speed-racer...lol

P.S. has any one made a scoop that uses the "hole indent" on the bonnet, above where the standard air intake goes?(ef-el), sort of like a 350z cold air intake???

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

Alrighty.. got time so ill reply lol.

Very easy.

what you need

PVC Pipe
Heat Gun (hair dryer can do but heat gun so much better)
Black Spraypaint ($2 s**t will do lol)
Silicon (whatever you want from wherever)
Jigsaw possibily
Drill Bits + Drill
Hack Saw.

Easy as.. terroristghia currently has done this as well.

Drill a 3"-5" hole through the bottom of your airbox (mark it up) and then through the metal. NOTE: ABS Users i suggest drill from underneath up or measure wher eyour ABS unit is so you dont DRILL INTO IT!.

Basically with the pvc and some bends you can put it to your front airdam (EL gli/futura people u cant so u have to go underneath bar with a snorkel/mouth).

Get your pvc pipe with the heat gun and make it the shape of the back of your airdam/brake vents on ur bar. then just glue it into place or if uve done well it'll sit in there on its own. glue all the pipes up and silicon the pvc pipe into the bottom of the airbox (neatly and NOT high up like the pic on the top of this thread. LEVEL is the way to go. spray it all black in the box when ur done so it doesnt look messy or noticable

just a quick run down, but im sure you understand.

3-5" hole at airbox, with flex hose or pvc pipe moulded to the back of your brake duct/air dams at the front of your bar, cold air will rush into your airbox and no one will see visually and serves a purpose.

easy and cheap.

but BEWARE of your ABS< you will need to use flex hose to go around it or behind it or maybe 2" or something.. becareful!

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:11 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Got a mate who has an identical mod with his VL.
Black 4" stormwater drain, out of the box, 90degree bend, and sucks from just behind a vent in the bumper.
Sounds nuts, and he swears by it's performance benefits.
Damn non-BBM 6's with there upside down airboxes... :P

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
Got a mate who has an identical mod with his VL.
Black 4" stormwater drain, out of the box, 90degree bend, and sucks from just behind a vent in the bumper.
Sounds nuts, and he swears by it's performance benefits.
Damn non-BBM 6's with there upside down airboxes... :P

Unless that vent is in the middle of the bumper in an air dam, he is getting no benefit.

Little physics lesson boys and girls.... cause you all know I like to give physics lessons.

Grabbing air from the bumper has no effect on engine performance what-so-ever. What you gain from cold air, you lose from low pressure and this is why.

Look at a bumper. Look at its design. It is designed to divert air around the bumper and around the car. This means that air hitting the bumper gets pushed across the bumper. Because the air is moving across the bumper, any hole in the bumper is subject to a venturi effect, that is, the air is getting sucked out of the hole creating a low pressure.

So you might find that if you do a mod like that, the pressure @ the intake might be less than atmospheric (being approx 1013 hPa in an ISA atmosphere)

It would be better to grab air from either in front of the radiator or from a rearward facing scoop grabbing air off the windscreen. Air in front of the radiator is high pressure air. The bumper is designed to create an air dam for the radiator, but since the radiator is a restriction to air flow, air is entering the air dam faster that it's getting through the radiator, thus a high pressure area is theoretically created. Whether this be 0.1psi above atmospheric pressure, or 1 psi above depends on speed, dam design, radiator flow etc etc etc.

As for the windscreen job, there is actually a high pressure area created at the base of the windscreen. This is because as the air hits the windscreen, it is forced upwards. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. So while the car puts an upwards force on the air, the air puts a downwards force on what's beneath it. If you don't believe me, turn the fan in your car off and drive down the freeway. You'll feel a very light flow of air coming out of your ventilation vents because the air intake for the ventilation system is at the base of the windscreen.

I think a far better mod to to would be to modify the lid. I mean, look at the design of the airbox. It's really stupid! The air intake for the airbox is at the front, and of the EF lid, the engine is sucking air from the middle of the filter. So only the front half of the filter is being used. Any air trying to use the rear of the filter has longer to travel and has to fight its way into the engine intake AGAINST the flow of air using the front of the filter, then do a hard 180 to get into the trumpet. If you took the air from the middle of the lid, from the TOP of the lid, not from the side, you'd get better, straighter air flow.

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Actually an Autospeed article proved that the EF airbox lid with its central pickup outflowed the EL-AU lid with its pickup at the end.

I agree with not putting the intake on the bumper. Have a look at an EL and you will see that only the lower intake feeds the radiator. The upper grille only directs air to the airbox, basically that entire grille is ram feeding your airbox, apart from the tickford snorkle I can't see much improvement there.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next