Fordmods Logo

compression test what should i expect about???? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: compression test what should i expect about????
Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF V8 Futura, 180sx

QLD, Australia

hey guys
I finally had the s**t with the lack of power so i did a compression check the original owner use to Quater mile the car all the time and guy said it was turbo as well.

well when i did the compression test i got between 110psi and 120psi across all cylinder!!!!

and i wondered why a mates ea could keep with me im my ef futura(au engine) gave me the s**t both mine and his t5 manuals

what should have i expected about if the engine wasn't decompressed(im assuming it is) keeping in mind AU engine(NOT xr6 with vct)
Could poor shimming of the lifter cause this??? cause to be honnest there a bit of clackering noice in the top end but not like stuffed where is tickers loudly on it own like all of them got slight free play im guessing or warn valve spring? would they do that?.

i think im ganna have to pop the head off next weekend and get top end done and depending on how prices go maybe rings as well depending on $$$$

if the head done come off id be taking it into head shop getting a head shave and inspect and so on.

also why i got the topic going anyone wanting to flog off a top end kit or gasket kit? or sump kit? or main bearings or big end bearings or sump gasket? Plz remember that the engine a AU I6 WITHOUT VCT

so where do you guys think i stand??? what should i do? she drive great and all but just on performance side of things she just dissapointment but still enought to kick s**t load of holdens and japs car in the a**
LOL

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

110 120 is average isn't it

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

for turbo set up i would say yer
but im pritty sure you would expect something like 160-180psi maybe higher considering it au engine as well.

whats everone else compression readings at and what motor???

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

usually between 140 to 180 is about the norm my eb which has a lower compression than the au runs at around 170 on all cylinders. if you wana check to see if its your rings squirt a little (about two pumps) of oil from an oil can in to the cylinders crank the engine over a few times with all spark plugs removed then hook up your comp gauge and check the differance between that and your original readings. if the comp has gone up its your rings. but you say it used to be turbo? then it has more than likely had a thicker head gasket installed to lower the comp.

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

FLASH wrote:
usually between 140 to 180 is about the norm my eb which has a lower compression than the au runs at around 170 on all cylinders. if you wana check to see if its your rings squirt a little (about two pumps) of oil from an oil can in to the cylinders crank the engine over a few times with all spark plugs removed then hook up your comp gauge and check the differance between that and your original readings. if the comp has gone up its your rings. but you say it used to be turbo? then it has more than likely had a thicker head gasket installed to lower the comp.

Aren't au engine running with the thin steel headgasket???
cause i see a bit of the head gasket and it looks like the stuff all the ef el that use for the head gaskets and seems a bit thick.

But ill give ya trick a shot tomorrow at work on after work.

Just did a compression check on mates ea and get for basically 140psi on the dot across all cylinders lol

Ford EF Futura Black

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

yeah the au runs the thin metal gasket hence the higher comp... BUT you may have a custom head gasket on there that is thicker to lower the compression for the turbo hence the low compression reading.

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:01 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

i'm sure pushing the weight of the 20" chrome wheels wouldn't be helping either....

it's not all about power when you got a lot of weight to pull around....

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Eu-GenixX wrote:
i'm sure pushing the weight of the 20" chrome wheels wouldn't be helping either....

it's not all about power when you got a lot of weight to pull around....

lol they do have a noticeable difference in power when i put the stocks back on LOL

but when it comes do to the crunch i only beat a EA falcon with my ef falcon running au engine!!!
do note his car got sport cam few little things as well

i also think i got a turbo cam as well as decompressed engine and poorly shimmed up lifters

Attachments:
File comment: 20's ain't that big but i need wider tires 245 just ain't wide enough for me on the rear i got some 255 coming and ill chuck the 245 on the front lol
Image000 (Medium).jpg
Image000 (Medium).jpg [ 96.21 KiB | Viewed 285 times ]

Ford EF Futura Black

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

hey guys
what head gasket you guys think i should get??? i wanna run a high NA compression ratio
i looking at acl racing ones
Made from part # Thickness
Cylinder Head Gasket - Composite -BR520GTR - ????mm
Cylinder Head Gasket - Copper -BR520CU10-GTR -1.0mm
Cylinder Head Gasket Copper -BR520CU16-GTR -1.6mm

So what you guys think?

i was thinking maybe poping engine out and do rings but mate made a call today and he got a quote on some aftermarket pistons with a 11cc dish in piston(NA piston) and they were revently cheap and knocked ratio up to a 9.8 or something
so they might be on the cards

Ford EF Futura Black

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I'm going the other way, N/A, chasing high compression, using these pistons.

Attachments:
New AU2 conrods & BA LPG pistons & Vernia cam chain set + bearin 003.jpg
New AU2 conrods & BA LPG pistons & Vernia cam chain set + bearin 003.jpg [ 373.2 KiB | Viewed 224 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

so you went with ba pistons???

Engine: 4.0L Intech SOHC 12v
Capacity: 3984cc
Cylinders: 6
Bore Size: 92mm/3.62in
Stroke: 96.31mm/3.79in

Engine: 4.0L Barra 182 24v EFI
Bore Size: 92.26mm/3.63in
Stroke: 99.31mm/3.91in

the bore sizes a bit different!!!! that ok? just slight hone or require sent to shop to get bores over sized to suit????

Do ba pistons have a bulge? instead of a dish???

Ford EF Futura Black

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

[quote="Xflow"]so you went with ba pistons???

the bore sizes a bit different!!!! that ok? just slight hone or require sent to shop to get bores over sized to suit????

Do ba pistons have a bulge? instead of a dish???[/quote

Your eye is sharp. Yes they are BA pistons. They are series 1 BA LPG pistons, and they have a bulge. I am yet to put valve reliefs/pockets to suit the 12V head.

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

cjh wrote:
Xflow wrote:

Your eye is sharp. Yes they are BA pistons. They are series 1 BA LPG pistons, and they have a bulge. I am yet to put valve reliefs/pockets to suit the 12V head.

lol thx that was ganna be my next question about the valve reliefs/pockets to suit the 12V instead of 24V. Are you going to put the cut outs in???? or send off to a shop to get them machined into the piston tops??? how much you quoted to do the cut outs???? if it going to shop!

Ford EF Futura Black

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Xflow wrote:
cjh wrote:
Xflow wrote:

lol thx that was ganna be my next question about the valve reliefs/pockets to suit the 12V instead of 24V. Are you going to put the cut outs in???? or send off to a shop to get them machined into the piston tops??? how much you quoted to do the cut outs???? if it going to shop!

I do most of the work myself, unless I don't have the specific equipment to do it, like fitting the new pistons to the rods, balancing the crank, grinding the crank, cutting valve seats, etc...etc...
I have yet to make a jig to fit the pistons into, then cut the valve pockets.
I have many projects to do, currently put an ABS system from an AUII XR8 ute into a 1937 Nash, and try to use the calipers & disc's as well.

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

LOL omg you ganna cut out the valve reliefs/pockets for the pistons ya self. what ya need is a a piston ring holder to mount ya pisont in while it held under a dril press on the angle with some special dill piece to cut out a flat valve imprint into the piston head.

But the problem doing it ya self is you might go to far on one piston and not far enough on another which will put the compression out a bit
enlargen the pic under my post

Attachments:
File comment: am i on the right track?
piston buldge cut out.JPG
piston buldge cut out.JPG [ 88.86 KiB | Viewed 670 times ]

Ford EF Futura Black

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next