Controlling dual VCT on a budget? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:04 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
Ah okay, that sounds alright then.

Ill let you know how I get on. Im going to try and get it running by next weekend.

GOOD LUCK THEN DAN!!!!

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:36 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: eb 's' and '67 xr fairmont

VIC, Australia

castle auto elects can wire up the whole shebang, when you are talking an aftermarket computer i was told that its not worth using the original computer as there is many hassles, i was toying with the idea of a BA turbo motor in my 67 XR fairmont, i could get the motor at a fiir price but couldnt justify the money to wire it up. mabey you could contact them for some ideas. this is what i recieved from them,

Hi Craig with this conversion as its going into a 67 XR i would suggest using an aftermarket computer and tuning to suit. This would make it more accesable and make more power than the factory computer as these engines were de-tuned from the factory. Cost for us to supply computer, wire fire and dyno tune would be around $5,500.00. We can supply an adaptor to suit the C4 but i would also suggest getting the trans beefed up to handle the power and torque of the turbo 6 cyl. Please email if you need more info. Thanks Con .....

05 BA futura wagon, dumped, 19s, limo tint ( now the wifes car!

BA XLS ute 3V V8 manual, paceys, CAI and underdrives, good work car!

67 XR fairmont factory V8currently in pieces undergoing full resto one day will make a sweet cruiser!

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:03 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

VIC, Australia

provked wrote:
castle auto elects can wire up the whole shebang, when you are talking an aftermarket computer i was told that its not worth using the original computer as there is many hassles, i was toying with the idea of a BA turbo motor in my 67 XR fairmont, i could get the motor at a fiir price but couldnt justify the money to wire it up. mabey you could contact them for some ideas. this is what i recieved from them,

Hi Craig with this conversion as its going into a 67 XR i would suggest using an aftermarket computer and tuning to suit. This would make it more accesable and make more power than the factory computer as these engines were de-tuned from the factory. Cost for us to supply computer, wire fire and dyno tune would be around $5,500.00. We can supply an adaptor to suit the C4 but i would also suggest getting the trans beefed up to handle the power and torque of the turbo 6 cyl. Please email if you need more info. Thanks Con .....

well its no wonder you could not justify it!!!

we do them for a lot less than that!!!

eg if all is there and we wire up, supply and tune an xtc ems your looking at $2420 add closed loop boost $220 add vct $880

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

For $5500 it would have to be a motec wouldnt it?

The wog ems sounds like a good affordable choice.

How do you know the position of cams when tuning the VCT?

Can the EMS tell you where they both are?

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:36 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

VIC, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
For $5500 it would have to be a motec wouldnt it?

The wog ems sounds like a good affordable choice.

How do you know the position of cams when tuning the VCT?

Can the EMS tell you where they both are?

no ems can't nor can the xtc ems for now but will soon if all works out

i have my own tricks to utilise the twin cam positions of the ba the bf variable will come soon in my system!

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Im interested in these tricks that you have. Can they work with any setup or does it need to be an EMS??

Have you done any EMS installs where the EMS controls the entire motor?

Do you have any results on hand?

Post subject: Re: Controlling dual VCT on a budget?
Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

bump...
i know there has been a few discussions but no one has really put much thought into things lol.

so the cams lock roughly 15-16* advanced without the VCT phasers hooked up.
has anyone actually thought of using a 12v PWM controller from jaycar?
sure when the oil is thick and cold it won't be quite correct but if you just want 0* you would just want to get to 50% duty cycle which is .5ms i'm lead to believe.

i really don't think it would be that difficult to achieve and if you want aftermarket cams that need to be run at say 2* advanced just change the duty cycle...

i'm putting a dohc motor into my XH 5spd but need to convert to AU ECU cause i dont want to run the BA ecu, get it roadworthy and then put new rings and bearings in the 4l before putting it in, but i'm going to work on getting the VCT working to some degree.
you can buy a programmable PWM relay board which has multiple inputs and outputs so you could have an RPM input and program the PWM output as wanted as just a rough process. or you can buy a simple manual PWM board for locked timing.

would have to be better than fully disabled.

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2