Converting a CFI / CPI ?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Converting a CFI / CPI ??
Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

Hey how you going? is it easy to convert a CFI EA to like multi point (fuel rail + injecters) cause i just recently got a EA 1991 30 Aniversary Falcon and yeah want to change it is it a f**k around with wires or are they all there just waiting to be plugged in????

how easy is it to put an EL / EF engine in it is like easy to just drop it straight in or is there a lot of f**k around with wiring and engine mounts and gear boxes etc..

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

if its an ORIGINAL 30th aniversary than it should allready be MPFI, they didnt come out with CPI. go to google and type in CPI to MPFI conversion and a FAQ qill come up and show you some basic instructions (some of which i suggest you do not follow). you will get a basic understanding of what needs to be done from that FAQ. The loom isnt always plug in and go, it depends on what wiring you get, i think there is 2 different types for the EA, 88 and 89 onwards. basicly all you have to do is run another single wire and tap it into one comeing out of the loom (think it has something to do with the coil). cheers

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

not true southy, I have a CPi EA and it is a genuine aniversary model. The swap isnt to hard, just dont even think about BBM

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EA2 'Mont

VIC, Australia

have a look at the guide on fordtech.com, only a couple of wires IIRC, depending on the loom you may only need to do one - one is for TPS if your loom/manifold only has one tps, as you need two outputs - one for ECU and one for TCU... mine had two outputs so I didnt need to do this.

Also you need to cut one of the wires that feeds the DC Stepper motor that controls the idle in the cfi setup and insert it into the body side of the injector loom plug (or just solder it directly to the wire inside the injector loom if you want to do it that way) - this is done primarily for idle control (the wire is shared for this purpose between mpi and cfi ecu's however the way they perform it is different)

basically you need at least:

mpfi fuel pump
mpfi ecu (its an ea so manual/auto doesnt really matter if you have a manual car... if you have an auto best to get the auto one)
manifold with all bolt ons etc - IE injectors, fuel rail, fuel reg, vac lines etc etc (and brake vac line too as it is longer on MPFI IIRC) PCV breathers etc... best to goto the wreckers and pull this off yourself so a) you know where it all plugs back into and b) so you make sure u get it all.

some say you need the dizzy too but mine has worked fairly well for a long time now as is with the CFI dizzy....

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

cpi dizzy will work but the result is more fuel usage because the computer uses the dizzy to work out where the rotation of the engine is at for something or other.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i am only new on this site excuse my ignorance what is a "BBM" and yeah reading alot about this would it be easy to just remove the engine gearbox and all and bannana a EA, EB, ED 4.0 litre engine and that or even a el see some one has done that if any one know send me a PM and yeah would like to put a good engine in her because the body is striaght and yeah.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:31 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: S2 TI R31

VIC, Australia

I am in EXACTLY the same boat as you. 1991 30th EA CPI =\. If i could get a COMPLETE list of parts needed it would be great as i work @ a wreckers!!!

- mike

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

there is a doco outlinig all the parts needed. You dont need to swap engines or heads at all.

do a search for the doco

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:14 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: S2 TI R31

VIC, Australia

I found this on Fordforums. Does this look ok ?

Manifold
Fuel rail + injectors
Throttle body
Throttle cable
Air box + all ducts
Fuel pump
ECU
Wiring loom(s)

Im not sure on the exact ECU and Wireing loom(s). Any comments ?

- mike

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

BBM stands for broad band manifold. its the fuel injections system used on EF/EL

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:46 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Southy wrote:
BBM stands for broad band manifold. its the fuel injections system used on EF/EL

It is the broad band manifold, but, as the name implies, it's a different inlet manifold.
It has two sets of inlet runners, a short set for upper RPM power, and a long set, for down low torque.
A butterfly switches between them at a set RPM point.
To take full advantage of it, an EL (so you can still use dizzy) EEC is needed, so as the maps are there to compensate for the different inlet length.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yeah i found some thing in here doco wise but not sure if one that "Blu Fal" is refering to and yeah, so i get the idea that the EA to EL is practly the same engine and that? and yeah

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]