coolant leak? wtf? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: coolant leak? wtf?
Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:22 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BA Falcon

SA, Australia

yeah so i put in my new radiator yesterday...connected it up right and everything...cept when i was test driving it i opened the bonnet after driving for a bit...and i had coolant leaking out of the thermostat housing, from between the two metal halves.

any ideas? i'm thinking the thermostat gasket but it's a brand new thermostat i just put in last week...

any other ideas as to what it could be...because it's dripping coolant all over my distributer...and the car don't like that!

2002 BA XT: Painted calipers, K&N pod filter, Pioneer head unit, Fusion sub and amp, driving lights, spoiler, 19" rims, twin 2.25" exhaust with quad tips.

Soon to come... Pacemaker Extractors, supercharger.

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

when you put the thermostat in did you use a new seal?

sometimes they dont seal properly and might need some help, with some ultra blue poo or something

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

just whack a little gasketgoo between the halves.

pretty common they dont seal to well without it. even though they seem to say you dont need a gasket.

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

its interesting how you guys all say u need gasket goo or sealant. im a ford mechanic and ive never had one come back yet with just a new thermostat oring. make sure u clean up all the surfaces properly tho..

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

ive tryed to do it without a gasket before, doesnt leak initially, when the pressure built up it started seeping.

i find its just easier to take 15 seconds to smear some goo on it and not have to worry.

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 94 ED Fairmont, MY97 LE WRX

VIC, Australia

it maybe the thermostat housing leaking where it bolts to the head I have been told they use a liquid gasket on it instead of paper/cardboard one and if the bolts have come loose due to the differant expansion rates between the steel off the housing and the alloy off the head it could leak ?

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

xpression wrote:
its interesting how you guys all say u need gasket goo or sealant. im a ford mechanic and ive never had one come back yet with just a new thermostat oring. make sure u clean up all the surfaces properly tho..

The owners probably fix it themselves later, while cursing the ford mechanics. :)

Seriously though, even with two new housings and a new 'O' ring. I've always found a little selastic sealant between the faces keeps them from leaking permanently.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

I have done two on mine. The seal between the head and the housing and the seal for the thermostat.

Both times i just got new gaskit's, cleaned the surface up real good with a razor blade and used a little sealant. I have used the proper cooling system stuff and gaskit goo and they both worked a treat. Little messy though.

When i was at the wrecker they always told me.... If its a paper gaskit then use sealant, if its cork DONT USE ANYTHING and if its a head gaskit then your crazy to tink of using something.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

stomper wrote:
I have done two on mine. The seal between the head and the housing and the seal for the thermostat.

Both times i just got new gaskit's, cleaned the surface up real good with a razor blade and used a little sealant. I have used the proper cooling system stuff and gaskit goo and they both worked a treat. Little messy though.

When i was at the wrecker they always told me.... If its a paper gaskit then use sealant, if its cork DONT USE ANYTHING and if its a head gaskit then your crazy to tink of using something.

What did they tell you to use on rubber seals? A ford thermostat housing doesn't use paper or cork between the top and bottom halves.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:58 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The Ford factory manual states that you need to put petroleum jelly on the seal before installation. Whenever I've done this, I've never had a seal leak. The one time I didn't do it, the thing was leaking 4 weeks later. :evil:

Don't use the aftermarket seals, they suck. Generally a harder type rubber material than the factory seal. I've actually had aftermarket seals crack when you take them out of the bag they are that s**t.

I've also been told not to remove the upper housing unless the engine is stone cold. If its warm, it can cause the upper housing to warp and the face no longer be flat. Basically instant leakage. Once again, I took the thing off when it was warm once, and it leaked straight away. Replaced the housing and always take it off when the engine is cold now. Its never leaked again.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]