Crank Angle Sensor EF 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Crank Angle Sensor EF
Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford G6

SA, Australia

Hey everyone

I was just quickly wondering is the EF Crank Angle Sensor needed ?

The one which runs in the dizzy oil pump drive hole

have disconnected it and seems to idle and rev fine and a bit of load seemed to not skip a beat , but has anyone ran with it for long periods ?

Post subject: Re: Crank Angle Sensor EF
Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

I've been running my modified EF engine with the phase sensor disconnected for close to 4 years with no problem.

I originally disconnected mine because the engine developed a consistent tendency to bog down and shudder (sounded and acted exactly like a burned valve which was scary) when accelerating under load in the 1500 to 2200rpm range. Disconnecting the phase sensor fixed it and she's been sweet since.

My engine has a JMM cam that takes 3.4mm custom shim in addition to the original factory one in each lifter (ie. the cam has a fair bit of lift). The head is worked - ported and chamber work and I run a TI performance J3 module I've programmed myself.

It's my daily work driver and goes VERY nicely. I'm too old to hoon much (I frighten way easily these days) - but it sees the rev limiter from time to time...

In short, disconnecting that phase sensor will be no problem.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

In my personal experience, leaving the sensor disconnected causes misfires in lean cruise mode, particularly if you are targeting lean AFRs or aggressive timing.

I believe this is due to the ECU not knowing which stroke the engine is on (the sensor is used to determine the intake stroke from the exhaust stroke) and the injector firing being out of sync with the engine. This is not a problem most of the time because there is enough fuel in the port that it doesn't matter.

I replaced my faulty CMP and my problem went away.

YMMV!

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

G'day Jason! :D

Oh! - well there you go... I have to say that I've never experienced anything of that - either before I got the J3 or since. And that includes having driven the car to Mount Isa in December 2014 - heavily loaded with gear and 2 people onboard - and back to Cairns a couple of months ago with only myself onboard and no gear (those trips are 2 days of driving about 8 to 9 hours).

On that drive back from Isa I wasn't hangin about and was getting something like 684km from a tank.

In Isa driving to and from work - a 5km each way trip of only couple of blocks of suburban streets to 80km highway (ie. 1km at 60kph and 4 at 80) - driving brusquely but not hooning, I achieved a best of 730km from a tank :D

I resorted to just leaving mine disconnected after a new CMP didn't fix the problem... I actually suspect there's maybe something squirrelly with the gear that drives the aux shaft - perhaps it's a tooth out - else maybe there's even an issue with the actual CMP / dizzy drive on the aux shaft or the gear on the CMP shaft itself... guess I really should take the manifold off and pull the CMP housing completely out and have a good look at it all - it hasn't actually blown up or shown metal in the oil yet....

So I guess modified answer to OP is suck it and see - if it's gonna be an issue you'll see it as and if it happens - otherwise, no it's not gonna suddenly dump ur engine on the driveway even tho you think its all good :D

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]