Fordmods Logo

Crow 222825 - BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Page 2 of 4 [ 58 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:19 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Crow are a funny bunch.

I purchased a cam for my V8 Falcon. They said it was all this and that. Whacked it on a dyno and car didnt make much more HPthan stock. They agreed to exchange the cam for a different grind for no charge, which worked ok.

Then about 3 months later, they called me up and asked how my cam was going? I said yeah fine, could do with some more power but ok, they said they sold the same cam to another customer who was very upset. Obviously they didnt know too much about their own cam if they were ringing me to ask how it performs.

Cam was ok, doubt it produces the power they claim though. When you ring them up to complain, they say, there are a million factors to consider why the car isnt making the power it should be. My a**.

EL Fairmont Ghia, extractors, 2.5 inch system, high flow cat, K&N panel filter, AUXR Snorkel, 3.45diff 0-100km/h 6.9secs

SS COMMODORE LS1 282rwkw, awesome power

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Sounds reasonable to me. I mean, you were not happy, so the exchanged the cam at not cost, and later contacted you to help another customer out. They are at least trying to help customers and solve problems.

Ive talked to crow at length about cam profiles for 4.0's and they really know their stuff. At the same time I have heard a lot of people winging about their cams, and usually it turns out they put a 543 into otherwise stock car and expected it to haul a**.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Post subject: Re: Crow 222825 - BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

jules_1972 wrote:
Hi,

Well I finally received a 222825 for my XH 4.0L Falcon.
Low and behold, go to fit the cam to find out the Journals are to wide for my rocker gear…

How did I find out?
Well guess how, fitted the cam then the rocker gear, SNAP, there goes a rocker....

s**t!!!

They advertise the cam to suit and I did email Crow prior to the purchase.

They had better change there advertising as I have now got to run a set of rocker gear out of an EA to suit with larger rollers.

WHAT YOU ALL THINK???
unlucky mate.

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

how did you get the point of being able to break something??

didn't you check every thing and turn the engine over by hand first??

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

you'd think he would have done that but by the sounds of it he didn't.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:15 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I'm guessing it would have been at the point of when he tried to hit or bolt the rocker gear down.

The differences in the cam aren't that apparent unless you look really closely.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XH Falcon Ute

WA, Australia

Righto, lets start....

For one thing my Falcon XH is a 1997 so the CROW Website advertises the cam for my vehicle, RIGHT?
Maybe some of you need glasses to read prior to attempting to belittle an individual.

CROW's EMAIL Quote

"hi julian the 222825 will run with your std computor/2222549 would need a computor up grade and you would also need to run stronger springs.you would also need to use a vernier cam gear the cams are $390/the springs $90/the gear $180 you would need to organise your own chip..chip torque in qld do them 0755964204 ph/the freight would be $30 you would need to pay before we despatch or you can buy our product thru coventry/mills performance/repco..rgs wendy"

So now that is sorted out, ie, all bases covered prior to the purchase.

The install, well the width of the Cam Lobe differs quite substantially.
Yeah fool me for not measuring the width, if the cam is recommended by a manufacturer I sort of trust them, RIGHT?

During the process of bolting the rocker gear down it was noted that something was wrong, right at that point in time a nice "CLINK!" occured followed by a projectile (Rocker arm) flying off over the front.

Then a number of serious SWEAR Words followed, then a smoke with a beer...........

Hey this website is to share knowledge right?

A number of responses have been helpful but a number of people seem to either be 100% brilliant with everything in life or a just
PLAIN FULL OF s**t!!!!

O.K now I have to deal with the dreaded Ticking Lifter that most people seem to have problems with.....

:shock:

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

jules_1972 wrote:
A number of responses have been helpful but a number of people seem to either be 100% brilliant with everything in life or a just
PLAIN FULL OF s**t!!!!

no one ever claimed to be %100 brilliant.

it just baffles me on why anyone would change a part in there engine with out first making sure the new part is %100 going to fit/work...
it's only common sence

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

[no one ever claimed to be %100 brilliant.

it just baffles me on why anyone would change a part in there engine with out first making sure the new part is %100 going to fit/work...
it's only common sence[/quote]

How does it baffle you?

#1 the Part fits the head 100%
#2 You are not born with "COMMON SENSE" and if you claim you are your FULL OF s**t.
#3 first time I have done a CAM CHANGE on a OHC FAlcon, started at 1000hrs - car running again @ 1300hrs even with a Phuck UP!!

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

jules_1972 wrote:
[no one ever claimed to be %100 brilliant.

it's only common sence

How does it baffle you?

#1 the Part fits the head 100%
#2 You are not born with "COMMON SENSE" and if you claim you are your FULL OF s**t.
#3 first time I have done a CAM CHANGE on a OHC FAlcon, started at 1000hrs - car running again @ 1300hrs even with a Phuck UP!![/quote]

no need to get angry dude. but hey if you have no common sence it must be crowcams fault :roll:

i guess this is why some people should just leave it to an expert

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

If your car is a ’97 then the cam does match what your engine is supposed to be. If it broke because the rocker gear was wrong, then whats in your car does not match what ford specified it would be. So either it came wrong from the factory (unlikely) or the top end has been swapped with later model parts at some stage. That is as long as crow sent you the cam you asked for.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

"no need to get angry dude. but hey if you have no common sence it must be crowcams fault :roll:

i guess this is why some people should just leave it to an expert[/quote]

Im most definetly not getting angry, as I have stipulated the main idea behind this website is to share knowledge and experiences - RIGHT?

But we have individuals who just love to spurt out dribble like the quote above.

Define an EXPERT?

Now if the criticism is constructive then I could benefit from the knowledge being shared and possibly alot of other people reading this forum..

:shock: THINK ABOUT IT.......

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
If your car is a ’97 then the cam does match what your engine is supposed to be. If it broke because the rocker gear was wrong, then whats in your car does not match what ford specified it would be. So either it came wrong from the factory (unlikely) or the top end has been swapped with later model parts at some stage. That is as long as crow sent you the cam you asked for.

I agree with that one, looks as though the head has been off, but as usual nothing was mentioned when I purchased the car from a Ford Dealer. It isnt indicated in the service book either.

The Cam sent by Crow was as requested..

Did the ED share the same rocker gear as the EA?

The EA rocker gear that replaced the damaged set most definitely differs alot. Actually the EA set is a heavier set with more material in the build, they have larger rollers.

Any hints on fixing the annoying lifter noise???

:?:

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Drive the engine around for a bit - noise rockers will oftern go quiet if they have just been sitting around for a while. If they stay noisy, you cant take them apart, clean them with carby cleaner and they should be good as new.

EA rocker gear is the same rocker ratio as ED but has bigger lifters.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

look man.

smoke rubber and i seem to be the only people that could have made the posts you speak off. but realy where is the problem??

i mean i've been on this site for a long time. and where i see fit i'll help or make criticism cronstructive or otherwise.

and IMO in this case the damage should never have happend in the first place. there are so many docos and info around on doing this it's not funny.

yeah sure somethimes parts are not what they are meant to be i've had it happen a few times but i've never broken anything because of it. It pays to be careful even if it's something you have done a hundred times befor.

lets just hope you learn from it.

as for the ticking if you've used EA rocker gear chances are the HLAs are stuffed and you need new ones

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next