Fordmods Logo

cutting off rear muffler 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: cutting off rear muffler
Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2006 Ford BF mk1

QLD, Australia

hey guys i have a bf mk 1 06 model i need to know about cutting off the rear muffler on a standard exhaust system i was told it will sound tinney yet some people are saying do it

can anybody help with this please

cheers
06bfmk1

Post subject: Re: cutting off rear muffler
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

why are you cutting off the rear muffler?? if you want something that sounds good, get a catback system, cutting off the rear muffler will just give you a headache drone that sounds like s**t, and being on your p's will attract every cop thats anywhere near your car.

but aside from that if you really want to pursue that path, unhook the muffler off and hit it with a hacksaw or angle grinder. but once again your car will sound s**t and drony

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1993 Ford Fairlane

VIC, Australia

winman wrote:
why are you cutting off the rear muffler?? if you want something that sounds good, get a catback system, cutting off the rear muffler will just give you a headache drone that sounds like s**t, and being on your p's will attract every cop thats anywhere near your car.

but aside from that if you really want to pursue that path, unhook the muffler off and hit it with a hacksaw or angle grinder. but once again your car will sound s**t and drony

i did exactly this on my BA, and put a pipe in the space. not tinny and no drone, could hardly hear it inside the car, most catbacks are alot louder so will attract more attention than this

1993 NCII Fairlane
Mods to come:
V8 - SLs - exhaust - DC LTD leather - LTD grill and garnish - LTD wood grain - body colour trim - wheels - tinted windows

1991 NCI Fairlane
Mods to come:
4.0L - lows - exhaust - NCII seats - NCII door trims - LTD grill - body colour trim - wheels - window tint

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:56 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

I've done it on an EF, LPG only car, (high vapour content in LPG rots out rear mufflers FAST! condenses in pipe when it gets that far from engine. )
Same result as dylby1, no noticable increase in noise, sounds the same.

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

If you are referring to the rear Resonator (Your standard exhaust system has 2, one after the cat and one after the actual muffler) you'll find the cutting it off and replacing it with straight pipe will make absolutely NO difference to A. Performance and B. Sound. So really unless it's rotting off your exhaust it's a waste of time and money doing it.
BTW look at most 'off the shelf' cat back sports systems, 1 resonator, 1 muffler. Kinda illustrates the point that the rear resonator does nothing really.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Esteven8 wrote:
If you are referring to the rear Resonator (Your standard exhaust system has 2, one after the cat and one after the actual muffler) you'll find the cutting it off and replacing it with straight pipe will make absolutely NO difference to A. Performance and B. Sound. So really unless it's rotting off your exhaust it's a waste of time and money doing it.
BTW look at most 'off the shelf' cat back sports systems, 1 resonator, 1 muffler. Kinda illustrates the point that the rear resonator does nothing really.

What's it there for then?

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

taking the small front res out of my bf mont made a difference to sound.... not much but it did. obviously nothing performance wise but the guy at the exhaust shop said that slack pack falcons don't come with them, or some do some don't.

the rear one is however alot bigger than the front one... i think it would make more difference to drone moreso than noise, after all thats what it's there for. it's not a muffler it's a res as mentioned previously.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

[/b]i wanted to cut it off because im getting it supercharger on it as soon as im off my P's and i didnt want to get the exhaust done then need to change it because its to restrictive or to loud

plus

it has to be a costum made exhaust due to it being lpg they dont make cat backs for lpg :( so thats why

and im talking about cutting off the very rear muffler right near the tip not the middle muffler [/b]

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

It will sound sick.. Get rid of the s**t cat aswell.. You will gain a s**t load of power and it will sound like a v8 with boost

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

i already placed a 2 1/2 inch high flow cat with lukey headers :)

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1993 Ford Fairlane

VIC, Australia

Esteven8 wrote:

my ba was a muffler, not a res. it was even bigger than the main muffler on my old EB lol

1993 NCII Fairlane
Mods to come:
V8 - SLs - exhaust - DC LTD leather - LTD grill and garnish - LTD wood grain - body colour trim - wheels - tinted windows

1991 NCI Fairlane
Mods to come:
4.0L - lows - exhaust - NCII seats - NCII door trims - LTD grill - body colour trim - wheels - window tint

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

i put a extractors and a gutted high flow cat on my el xr6 and the car already had 2 1/2inch pipe. i cut out the back resinator,the one after the diff.its the worst mod i've done. doesnt sound too bad but drones like a mofo and gives me bad head ackes plus i lost alot of back pressure there's no power under 2500revs and my cars on gas sounds the same on petrol and lpg.i dread driving in 80 zones because the car sits in fourth gear and revs at about 1500revs and sets off the worst vibration thru the car.if your car is manual and has just the standard exhaust then do it if its auto and has a 2 1/2 inch pipe dont do it trust me. and im a p plater does my head in.
cheers daniel

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

Just take it off where the exhaust manifold bolts to the exhaust. Will sound like a tractor. No joke.

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Before I upgraded my Eb's exhaust to extractors & a full 2.5" system, I had removed the front & rear resonators, due to them rusting out. Didn't change the note that I could tell and made only a very, very, very slight difference in the noise.......

When I had just the extractors, one straight thru 2.5" muffler & no resonators I was over the EPA noise limit & it droned a tad at 80kms. Not enough I'd complain about, like my g/f's 4cyl turbo does, but it did drone. Also lost some power below 2500. I've since had a resonator fit, a high flow one, no more drone, noise is just on the legal limit & more power below 2500 now.

Loose the front res, but not the rear one.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

cheers everyone this has been great help

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]