Fordmods Logo

Davies_Craig thermoswitch radiator problems 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:05 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Bozz give me your address and I'll send you my old clutch fan if you love them so much. :D

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:23 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

Bozz wrote:
voxace wrote:
Sorry to bring this back up, but my car always ran cold even with a new thermostat with the clutch fan on.
Anyways I ripped that off and installed thermos and I love the way the car warms up quicker from a cold start and definately accelerates better.

Anyway, I'm having the same leaking problem unfortunately, did you end up fixing yours FastFutura?

Your car defies physics if this is true and no other variables are changed.

When driving above approximately 50km/h on a calm day, the airspeed through the radiator from the air pressure in front of the car FAR exceeds what the fan could pull through it. Hence the fan is doing nothing.

So something else must have been modified or for some other reason has been affected by installing the thermofans.

Clutch fans are noisy. Look how EA's sound when the clutches stick. This uses additional fuel. Clutch fans are only good in rear wheel drive configurations.

no bozz no physics
bassically with thermos they only turn on when a certain tmpo i s reached
while the clucth fan u so love is constantly pullign air through even when it not engaged it is still spinning
trust me man just because the older skylines had clutch fand dont mean they are better than thermos just older technology being used
ie same as holcrap with the gen3 with pushrod valves

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:25 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

ohh and what is better 1 cluthc fan or 2 nice thermos draing more air than anything ??
have u seen a set of au fans running at full pelt
the draw so much frigging air you could almost plumb em to make a forced air setup!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

who ever thinks clutch fans are better then thermos are kidding themselves! hahaha
my thermo rocks.
car runs super cool. almost too cool sometimes. I get a faster 1/4 mile and i use less fuel, my car revs alot more freely... So stop bashing thermos. only time u have to worry is when ur electrics f**k up like mine did on sunday where i blew a 30amp relay for my thermo.. Hmm i need a bigger relay :)

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

I see that both have issues of parasitic drain on the engine. I'll hold my breath and say the clutch fan is likely to draw more. But also moves a lot more air....

But - if the coolant temperature is sitting at a point where a clutch fan is going to save you whilst thermos will leave you with a cracked head..... i'd suggest there's a problem not related to your fan.

But of course that's merely a practical consideration. Appears the thread is very much theory based.

Educational tho guys - keep it up!

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:49 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BF II XR6 Turbo Ute

VIC, Australia

if ya goin to spend heaps on thermos to gain an extra 1 or 2 kw who dont ya just spend that cash on some other mod that will do the same thing or spend it on getting ur car running better unless ya can get the thermos dirt cheep
just my 2c worth

No dose No Care

P.B of 12.2@118 with more in it!!!!

Formerly known as ebturb

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
Bozz wrote:
voxace wrote:
Sorry to bring this back up, but my car always ran cold even with a new thermostat with the clutch fan on.
Anyways I ripped that off and installed thermos and I love the way the car warms up quicker from a cold start and definately accelerates better.

Anyway, I'm having the same leaking problem unfortunately, did you end up fixing yours FastFutura?

Your car defies physics if this is true and no other variables are changed.

When driving above approximately 50km/h on a calm day, the airspeed through the radiator from the air pressure in front of the car FAR exceeds what the fan could pull through it. Hence the fan is doing nothing.

So something else must have been modified or for some other reason has been affected by installing the thermofans.

Clutch fans are noisy. Look how EA's sound when the clutches stick. This uses additional fuel. Clutch fans are only good in rear wheel drive configurations.

no bozz no physics
bassically with thermos they only turn on when a certain tmpo i s reached
while the clucth fan u so love is constantly pullign air through even when it not engaged it is still spinning
trust me man just because the older skylines had clutch fand dont mean they are better than thermos just older technology being used
ie same as holcrap with the gen3 with pushrod valves

Re-read my post. When you're going above a certain speed, fans are useless because of vehicle speed. I'd say that to be basic physics.

Same with thermos turning on at a certain temp.

If you have access to a car with thermofans and a clutch fan side by side on a hot day, rev the clutch fan car to around 2000RPM and feel how much air it is pushing. Feel how much air the thermofan car is pushing. You'll very easily see the clutch fan is pushing MUCH more air. Now take that to 3000RPM. Then 4000RPM. It's not rocket science fella's....

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

The point is if we don't have cooling issues (which I don't), we'd much rather our damned power!

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

voxace wrote:
The point is if we don't have cooling issues (which I don't), we'd much rather our damned power!

In that case I shall shut up :)

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

Bozz wrote:
If you have access to a car with thermofans and a clutch fan side by side on a hot day, rev the clutch fan car to around 2000RPM and feel how much air it is pushing. Feel how much air the thermofan car is pushing. You'll very easily see the clutch fan is pushing MUCH more air. Now take that to 3000RPM. Then 4000RPM. It's not rocket science fella's....
the fan *will* reach a point where spinning it faster will simply decrease its performance

an engine driven fan isnt allways required, and if you've got a thermostatically activated thermo fan, it'll only come on when its needed, which means it's only drawing power some of the time, unlike a engine driven fan allways saps some power, regardless of wether the clutch is enganged or not

at higher engine speeds (most usually at higher road speeds, cos who drives doen the highway pulling 4000 RPM at 100?) usually the airflow from the car driving down the road is sufficient to cool the engine down

Banned

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

i was just gonna say that interceptor.

when i take my car down 1.4 mile, the fan is OFF, i dont need it. THerefore my engine is gaining horsepower without the clutch fan being there! simple.
When i cruise around the thermo is on about 20 percent of the time, depending on the weather.. cooler weather = about 5percent and hotter weather around 30-40 percent.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2