Fordmods Logo

dead ef falcon wagon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: dead ef falcon wagon
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: el falcon

QLD, Australia

hi all, overheated my falcon wagon the other day (water pump ceased)
i replaced the water pump, and thermostat and the main radiator hoses (just to be safe) had it checked out and was told the head should be fine.
and now i have an issue of the fans not kicking in until the engine is way too hot for them to cool down, and the dash lights have all gone from the dash with the exception of the battery light and economy light and goes into i guess it would be limp mode (only has one gear in drive) and its also become hard to start, but when i put my foot on the brake or use the indicators, they come back on in sync with the flasher unit. WTF
has anybody had this before or know what the issue could be?

extra info, it runs perfectly when its cold, but after 10 15 minutes the guage is reading above normal temperature and the red light comes on. to stop the engine overheating ive got the fans running constant

have i destroyed the wagon?

marty

Post subject: Re: dead ef falcon wagon
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Peacock EB Falcon

QLD, Australia

You might have a bit of crud in your radiator thats blocking flow, use some radiator flush as per instructions (they all work pretty much), then refill the system with water and get it to operating temp, dump the water out of the system and disconnect the upper and lower hoses and give the actual radiator a good flush with a garden hose. Reconnect and fill with water to check the results under driving conditions, if it doesn't overheat again then fill with your preferred coolant.

Wanted, CFI manifold

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

done that already, and no change :cry:

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ef futura

SA, Australia

check ur fan relays near the air box or u mite need to change ur temp sensor becasue if it got really hot can f**k the sensor happen to me in my ef and the thing kept telling me it was way hot

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:33 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

lowfo wrote:
check ur fan relays near the air box or u mite need to change ur temp sensor becasue if it got really hot can f**k the sensor happen to me in my ef and the thing kept telling me it was way hot

with the temp sensor, its been reading fine (but replaced it anyway) and the relay, i replaced them but i think the main one for the fans is a single post double throw five pin? because i replaced it with a relay the other day and it blew the fuse (that was with a single pin single throw relay) replaced the fuse and checked that nothing else got damaged and went and got the spdt relay and a new fuse and didnt blow.

i think there are some horrible gremlins inside the wiring, because the sensor (apparently its a coolant sensor, went to get temp sensor and they gave us this single spade type one which is used on the later model ef and el falcons)is new, relays are new, fuses are new also (so far the list of replaced parts are : water pump, top and bottom radiator hoses, thermostat, fuses (TX auto: the one inside the car) 60 amp for fans and whatever the other ones are near the battery, and the relays behind the passenger headlight)

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 NL, 97NL, 98EL

Power: 141 rwkw

QLD, Australia

just a thought, have you checked your auto trans fuse? in the fuse area under the steering wheel? ... i've seen this kinda thing before when the fuse has been blown, ...

just a long shot, but worth a look.

Laticia.

BANNED!!!!

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Sommers NL wrote:
just a thought, have you checked your auto trans fuse? in the fuse area under the steering wheel? ... i've seen this kinda thing before when the fuse has been blown, ...

just a long shot, but worth a look.

Laticia.

yeah thats the Auto TX fuse i think, checked and it was fine, but replaced anyway

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]